Ok, so i love the fender twin reverb's clean tones, but i have a few questions. With a good overdrive pedal like the Fulltone OCD, and a a distortion like a rat, can i get good dirty tones out of it? I'd be using the amp for playing stuff from post rock to hard rock and blues to paul gilbert/satriani kinda stuff. Would it be able to pull of paul gilbert tones?
A Twin Reverb is a glorious clean amp. The dirty tones will only be as good as the pedals you put through it, so if you have some good dirt pedals, it will sound great. The OCD is great and the Rat would also be good, but it depends on which model you are talking about. You can definetly get it into hard rock territory with some good pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
A Twin Reverb is a glorious clean amp. The dirty tones will only be as good as the pedals you put through it, so if you have some good dirt pedals, it will sound great. The OCD is great and the Rat would also be good, but it depends on which model you are talking about. You can definetly get it into hard rock territory with some good pedals.
not true, a twin reverb cranked to 10 will give you some great overdrive sounds.
That is true, but your ears will fall off before you turn a TR to 10.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by al112987
not true, a twin reverb cranked to 10 will give you some great overdrive sounds.

Yes, but he'll be deaf by the time he manages to get that overdrive tone.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
The OCD and TR is an awesome combo. I've found the BB Preamp to be good with the TR and I prefer it to the OCD.

^I've done it before with a reissue and the speakers start to sound like **** at those volumes. You'd need to replace them with something that takes OD better, like higher wattage Scumbacks or an EVM-12L.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by djjazzyjames7
Ok, so i love the fender twin reverb's clean tones, but i have a few questions. With a good overdrive pedal like the Fulltone OCD, and a a distortion like a rat, can i get good dirty tones out of it? I'd be using the amp for playing stuff from post rock to hard rock and blues to paul gilbert/satriani kinda stuff. Would it be able to pull of paul gilbert tones?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.

I love my TR so very, very much.
Quote by mmolteratx
The OCD and TR is an awesome combo. I've found the BB Preamp to be good with the TR and I prefer it to the OCD.

^I've done it before with a reissue and the speakers start to sound like **** at those volumes. You'd need to replace them with something that takes OD better, like higher wattage Scumbacks or an EVM-12L.
or JBL D120s, my personal favorite in Fenders
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Or get a Super Reverb and not have your ears fall off!

even better suggestion!

I think the SR sound better than the TR, they just sound amazing turned up...
ok, so do you guys think the super reverb would sound better than an ac30 with some good overdrive pedals? By the way, can someone please reccomend some good Fuzz pedals that work with the super/twin?

and, since i already have the rat (its not vintage btw), should i get a visual sound pedal for overdrive/distortion or just the ocd?
Last edited by djjazzyjames7 at Aug 22, 2009,
Ok, this is very subjective here.

A super reverb and ac30 sound entirely different. In my opinion, yes a super reverb is far superior to an ac30. BUT, not everyone will feel the same, Fender's overdrive is not for everybody and those who are looking for a more modern tone will undoubtedly prefer the ac30. With overdrive pedals, I'd still prefer the super reverb, in fact, outside of a Marshall JTM45 (or similar), or a Marshall super lead (or similar), I don't think there is another amp that I would put above a BF super reverb, but again, this is just my opinion.

BUT, a super reverb might have trouble getting you those Gilbert, Satch sounds, an OCD is never really going to give it that modern kind of tone that you want.

also...

What kind of fuzz? Fuzz Face style? Tonebender style?
so what kind of would get me those modern paul gilbert/satch tones? would the vox do the trick?
yeah, but i'd rather have crystal clear cleans than modern distortion. I could just use a pedal for that and get close enough. i dont think i want to spend that much on the super, so i've got to decide between the vox and the twin reverb.

So would the twin with OCD/Rat get tones like the vox's natural distortion?
This would probably make the desicion for me
So would the twin with OCD/Rat (or other pedals) get tones like the vox's natural distortion?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Get a uesd Super. The silverface ones, although not the most highly revered, still sound better than the reissues imo.

plus they're hella cheap. i saw one used in my local shop for $1,100. that's $400 cheaper than the BF RI

Quote by djjazzyjames7
So would the twin with OCD/Rat (or other pedals) get tones like the vox's natural distortion?

they make pedals to mimic an AC's OD. Carl Martin AC tone, OLC English Channel, Menatone's top boost in a can or a MAD DD30.

i think the DD30 does the best job, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvNqLfPcTQ
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Those pedals won't sound like an AC30 really. If you want an AC30 then get one. It still has world class clean tones so you won't really be losing anything, they just have a different flavor than the Fender offerings.

nothing is going to sounds like an AC30 but an AC30. the TS wants something to get the best of both worlds.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.