I really like Led Zeppelin and especially Jimmy Page. I was looking at getting a top of the line amp later on down the road and it said he used one like this. I only really know good cheap amps and not high end ones in the thousands. So is this amp good and when did he use this amp? Recordings? Live? And what is good about this amp in particular? And also if you have any other suggestions of good high end amps please recommend them.
Thanks
Page used AC30s occasionally in the studio, a few times here and there live early in Zeppelin, and live at times during the Page/Plant tours, only times I can ever recall him using them.

But I suggest if you want a Page-like sound to go for a Marshall, not a Vox. I mean, I guess you could say he DID use a Vox AC30 at some point, but this is Jimmy Page, you could probably say that about ANY amp and it applies to him.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by enselmis
AC30's arent high end, If you want high end get a Budda or a NICE orange.

But its still an awesome amp. No use making him spend another couple grand just so he can say that his amp is "top of the line".

Besides, once your in a certain price range there is no 'best' amp per say as the tone is subjective. You shouldn't expect MG tone with anything once your paying thatmuch dough.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
But its still an awesome amp. No use making him spend another couple grand just so he can say that his amp is "top of the line".

Besides, once your in a certain price range there is no 'best' amp per say as the tone is subjective. You shouldn't expect MG tone with anything once your paying thatmuch dough.

Actually, Budda's Superdrive amps are near equal to the AC30 in terms of cost...

But yeah, OP, if you're wanting Pagey live tones, SD '59 + Plexi is what you want. In the studio he used a ton of different amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by TOMMYB22

I assume you've never played a Matchless DC-30? Or an XiTS Piper X30? Totally worth the difference in price IMO.

EDIT: Also, Reeves has a model based off of Page's Hiwatt from the early 70s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 22, 2009,
Also would it make more sense to get a half stack or just stick with a big combo amp? Like for instance would a good combo amp give you an 8/10 for sound but you need a half stack to get 9 or 10. Does a half stack mean it has better sound or anything or is it just louder?
Thanks
Oh and does anyone know why no one carries Orange amps anymore? I check online local music stores and Musiciansfriend and nothing.
Last edited by Splagl at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by stykerwolf
It's all about pick attack, Page even used a damn Soldano SLO and sounded like himself.

Take a look here though; http://kozmicblues.webs.com/ampsandcabs.htm

SLO is a very versatile amp though. Eric Clapton used one and Stevie Ray Vaughn was in the process of having a custom one build for him before he died.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Can anyone answer my orange question?
Why do no places carry orange amps anymore? I checked online local music stores and Musiciansfriend and nothing.