hey guys
so my rig is getting pretty freakin badass
i def have some sweet guitars and set em up right
now i was wondering.. is it time to up my amp?

i personally like fender super champ xd amp, it suits me quite well
but i dunno if its giving me all the sounds i possibly could have
i have noticed (as everyone here i am sure knows) that alotta people love the marshall full stacks
i play in my apartment (relatively) loud so i would only get a half stack

would it help improve my sound though?
please help on details, as i dont know too much (i know there is a difference in sound between solid state and tube amps in terms of sound, but i dunno too much more about it)
i found a couple varying from 700 to 1200
cost is an issue
but if its really worth it.. then maybe (just dont know why 1 is 500 bucks more)

thanks!

ps
i saw this one:
1) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HFX-and-MG412-Half-Stack?sku=581867

and this one
2) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-DSL100MLB-and-MC412-Half-Stack?sku=581507
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Any new amp would modify your sound, however making the jump from solid state (all circuit boards) to tube would allow your tone to reach new heights. In general, tube amps are warmer, more organic and allow your collection of guitars to really shine.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
the one is 700 because MG marshalls suck
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Well- compared to that fine lookin' JCM 2000, alot of amps suck - its time to upgrade to tubes if you're spending that kind of money
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
can u recommend me some amp(s) to look at?
i spent all my time so far setting my guitars up
but i am completely new when it comes to amps
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
If you are only going to play in an apartment then a full stack is not needed. Don't get me wrong, I have a rented practice space and I play play a fully just for s words and giggles and it sounds a lot fuller than a half. Is it worth it? Naw, not unless you have the extra cash and ceiling space.

Now if you are looking for marshall in the 500-1200 range with a somewhat large variation of sounds the dsl 100 or a jcm 900 is your best bet. Find one of those used with a used 1960 cab or something older like a jcm 900, 800 cab and you will have a solid setup and might save yourself some $$$ over that horrid setup that musiciansfriend has (that mc412 is only good for tossing down stairs).

cheers
Last edited by twistudriffer at Aug 22, 2009,
haha
i just use mf's from all baselines stuff
i def did not use em (only very little at best) for my rig

alright i looked into what you said and found some luck
what is the difference between the different cabs?
is there a place i can check/learn?
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
well different cabs have different speakers. Most marshalls (assuming you are are still heading down this line) have celesions. You can go to their site and I believe they have a chart of which speakers will fit the sound you are shooting for. If you are looking new, I'd say a marshall 1960 is the best but you're going to pay. Call be biased, I say the old 80's jcm 800 lead cabs are by far the best for your money. Usually you can find them on craiglist for $300 (beat up)- $500 (almost mint). They have a g12t-75 speaker and are wired for 300 watts so you know your safe. Also, as I have 2 800 cabs right now, they are made from solid wood all around with a middle brace in the center of the cab. A lot of cabs have that crap particle board at least for the back so they can cut costs a little

-My advice is to go to a big guitar store (gc maybe) are find an amp head you like and then try it on different cabs. Different cabs, models and brands are going to have their own unique sounds because of different speakers and different construction. Also, You can always change tubes after you get the amp, but then you are into a whole new world of decisions that we'll leave for a different day.

cheers
TS, what genres do you play?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz