Page 1 of 2
ive been looking for a new job for a few months now, and no luck at all. i put in applications everywhere and still never hear anything.

my current job is landscaping but people keep taking my jobs

and i cant go back to my old job breeding and selling reptiles and tarantulas because after the economy went downhill i lost customers and had to look for more work.

so im stuck selling off my old stuff that i dont need online.

anyone else in the pit having trouble finding work?
how are you guys who are lookin for work gettin by?
and what has helped you guys get jobs before? (like talkin to the managers of places, etc)

and if this is random its because its 3 in the morning here and im bored.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
I've been looking for a job for about a year and a half now. Been to tons of interviews but I can't manage to land a single job.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I've been looking for a job for about a year and a half now. Been to tons of interviews but I can't manage to land a single job.

i never even get to the interview stage

i dont know why though no clue what i do wrong.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Wait a few months, the economy's starting to pick up again. Oh and don't get a job in a bank.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by vulgarmachine
Wait a few months, the economy's starting to pick up again. Oh and don't get a job in a bank.

dont get one in a convenience store either...i work at one, got robbed last week =\
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by diminishedtobme
Melt pennies and sell the copper for profit.

pennies are mostly zinc with just a thin, thin layer of copper on them
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by MercyfulFate505
You know, the military is looking for a few good men.

Except for the Air Force... we're kinda packed at the moment.

EDIT:
Did anyone else read 'penises' instead?

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by Justin_43130

Thats even better, zinc is what makes the money.
Quote by diminishedtobme

i actually thought of that at one point

then i realized pennies are only 2% copper
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by Justin_43130

Then find pennies made prior to 1964.

I didn't have a problem finding work over the summer, I don't know what to tell you. Then again it wasn't exactly a very extravagant job.
im going through the same experience...

no fun but im trying to be persistent and hopefully someone will chuck me a bone.
Woot! New Zealand...
Write a specific cover letter for the place you are handing your resume to.

It doesnt matter if you are worse or better than other people, the only way you'll get anywhere is by standing out.
...In my opinion.
I just recently got bumped up to manager (ooh la la) at my store and here's a bunch of stuff to check for before handing in a application:

- fill out the application completely: Some people don't fill out half the app or don't leave any references

- try not to make mistakes on the app: the more mistakes you make the less appealing the app looks. If you make too many use whiteout or get a new app. Also don't fold an app either! For some reason there is a hatred for creased app's in the world or hiring

- if you make a mistake, one strike through it is sufficiant: some people get out of control and scribble up a storm over their mistake

- be completely honest on the app: it will bite you in the ass down the road if you lie on an app.

- dress well when handing in app's: Many stores will toss your app in the garbage the second you leave if you look like a scumbag. I don't go on looks cuz well thats stupid. I do go on smell however. If you walk into my store smelling like you haven't showered in years there's no way you're working for me. Let's face it, no one wants to work with a small bastard right?

-make yourself available: Even if your band practices every friday night don't say it. Wait until you are hired to let your super know you have a life and you need certain nights off.

I know its long but I hopr this helps. cheers
I would rather be a good liver than have one
i teach guitar around where i live for £14 an hour. it's fun and it's good money
Quote by Jackal58
I only judge people based upon the color of their skin.

Quote by Kilty Boxers
id like to shave my balls, but i always cut myself and when i do my shaver is like om nom nom testicle skin.
i had to leave my job for exams, but i got it back just before the recession really started to hit. As far as i am cocerned, there are still jobs out there, people are just too lazy to look most of the time. Its ridiuclous. The amount of time they spend comlaining about being unemplyed, if they spent that time, looking for a job, and making themselves more employable, then they would have a job
Quote by twistudriffer
I just recently got bumped up to manager (ooh la la) at my store and here's a bunch of stuff to check for before handing in a application:

- fill out the application completely: Some people don't fill out half the app or don't leave any references

- try not to make mistakes on the app: the more mistakes you make the less appealing the app looks. If you make too many use whiteout or get a new app. Also don't fold an app either! For some reason there is a hatred for creased app's in the world or hiring

- if you make a mistake, one strike through it is sufficiant: some people get out of control and scribble up a storm over their mistake

- be completely honest on the app: it will bite you in the ass down the road if you lie on an app.

- dress well when handing in app's: Many stores will toss your app in the garbage the second you leave if you look like a scumbag. I don't go on looks cuz well thats stupid. I do go on smell however. If you walk into my store smelling like you haven't showered in years there's no way you're working for me. Let's face it, no one wants to work with a small bastard right?

-make yourself available: Even if your band practices every friday night don't say it. Wait until you are hired to let your super know you have a life and you need certain nights off.

I know its long but I hopr this helps. cheers

oh i see. so i should look and act presentable then?
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by k-train
oh i see. so i should look and act presentable then?

Please dont tell me you just asked if you need to look and act presentable when applying for a job?

Think about, thousands of people are losing their jobs every week, andd a re subsequently looking for another. So if you go in, hungover, unshaven, tired looking, with a big stain on your shirt, looking for a job. Do you honestly think you will even be considered?
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Please dont tell me you just asked if you need to look and act presentable when applying for a job?

Think about, thousands of people are losing their jobs every week, andd a re subsequently looking for another. So if you go in, hungover, unshaven, tired looking, with a big stain on your shirt, looking for a job. Do you honestly think you will even be considered?

i only said that as a responce to the advice i got on another reply.

im smart enough to know to be presentable.

hell if you look at my thread starter i said point blank that i have worked both a landscaping business and a reptile breeding buisness.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I've applied for what must be nearly 50 jobs in the past 3 or 4 months. Only a couple have got back to me. With rejections. Not even an interview as of yet.

I work at the moment but only part time and they can't offer me a bigger contract so I'm on a pittance.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Quote by k-train
i only said that as a responce to the advice i got on another reply.

im smart enough to know to be presentable.

hell if you look at my thread starter i said point blank that i have worked both a landscaping business and a reptile breeding buisness.

No offense but neither of those sound like they require a professional type of look.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
No offense but neither of those sound like they require a professional type of look.

the work itself isnt professional looking.

but in landscaping trying to get jobs from home builders selling homes and companies/stores that have grass, trees, shrubs, etc, looking presentable is helpful.

in the reptile breeding business it helps to look professional when selling to stores and sometimes at reptile expos.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
i've applied for two jobs, and gotten both.

my first boss told me i gave the best interview he's ever gotten.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
I've been working a month now and it's my first job since I started looking on November last year.

Also -
Quote by Snowblind 911
i've applied for two jobs, and gotten both.

my first boss told me i gave the best interview he's ever gotten.

I never got any interview at all until I got this job.
Quote by Lespauljames
i dont even get interviews and i have a £2500 debt to pay off

thats the position im in. only my debts from a engagement ring.

anyone here try criegslist for jobs?

i saw the jobs section on there and i was wondering if anyone ever tried getting a job through that?
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I was unemployed from just after Christmas until July, and even that job was only from October... Found a job in July at asda.

Was a right pain though, nowhere was taking any staff on, and the ones who were, they were only temporary for like 2 months.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by evening_crow
Except for the Air Force... we're kinda packed at the moment.

EDIT:

Did anyone else read 'penises' instead?

Navy's kinda packed too, only had two job choices in intel that I qualified for, and I took the last remaining CTR seat. Thank god the job is guaranteed. On the bright side the navy might be making an all women submarine here soon. It's in the works right now and it's not for sure, but that would be ****ing cool.
Quote by k-train
how many others have this problem?
Quote by k-train
and i cant go back to my old job breeding and selling reptiles and tarantulas
Wow. That's amazing. I have the exact same problem!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yes I'm having the same problem.. applying to places, but no one wants a 17 year old in their store or whatever.. 'tis annoying but meh, life goes on..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
yes I'm having the same problem.. applying to places, but no one wants a 17 year old in their store or whatever.. 'tis annoying but meh, life goes on..

thats why i worked landscaping and all that self employed work.

cant deny you working unless its illegal.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I looked for a job all summer. Had an interview at Hollister Co. but I froze up and blew my interview. Now that school is gonna start I doubt I'm gonna have time to work. :\
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I tried to look for a job, but once I got out of my chair I realized how much more productive my day would be if I just spent it on here ... I didn't regret that one at all.
Page 1 of 2