So i have a Blackstar HT-5 Head. I have benn using a different footswitch with it, because the original one was delivered broken and i had another one, so i didn't have the blackstar one repaired until yesterday. I sent it to the shop to get it repaired because the other footswitch switched channels only every second time I hit it. Now I got the Blackstar footswitch back and it works fine, apart from the fact that it also changes channels only every second time I hit it.

Is this normal with the Blackstar HT-5 head or is there something wrong with the amp?
Epiphone Les Paul Studio AW Ltd Run
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Harley Benton 2X12" (Celestion V 30s)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive CO1
Marshall Reflector RF1
Digitech Hardwire HW DL 8 Delay/Looper
I am guessing that they must have replaced the momentary footswitch with a latching one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I am guessing that they must have replaced the momentary footswitch with a latching one.

so what does that mean?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Quote by roter$baron
so what does that mean?
Lets say, that the HT-5 needs +5v to change between channels (either way). Your amp is stuck sending 5v when the switch is thrown and doesn't stop until you stomp it again, at which point, leaving you needing to press the switch another time to get the amp to change channel.

Personally, I'd send Blackstar a letter bomb. Maybe they'd get so worried about production quality that they might move their factory to anther country. As is, however, my HT-5 works just fine so I can't see why I should be the one to commit a felony.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
so it is the amp then, right?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
No, the amp is fine, they just changed the insides of the footswitch with different parts then the usual HT-5 footswitch.
Quote by TheOpenMind
No, the amp is fine, they just changed the insides of the footswitch with different parts then the usual HT-5 footswitch.

but i have another footswitch, which does the same thing and it is new. wouldn't that speak against it?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Quote by roter$baron
but i have another footswitch, which does the same thing and it is new. wouldn't that speak against it?

Hmm... maybe that one's also a latching switch? Anyway, my HT-5 always switches with one stomp, so... It could still be an amp problem. I'm not really sure, actually
someone else any suggestions?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Sounds like different switches as suggested above. Its looking for a quick up and down voltage to switch the channel. The full-on switch they used, goes on, sends power, stays on, your press it again, it goes to 0v, and there is the quick up and down voltage switch where they should have used a momentary switch that goes on and back off as soon as you press it. I assume you just brought it to the shop you bought it from?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
Sounds like different switches as suggested above. Its looking for a quick up and down voltage to switch the channel. The full-on switch they used, goes on, sends power, stays on, your press it again, it goes to 0v, and there is the quick up and down voltage switch where they should have used a momentary switch that goes on and back off as soon as you press it. I assume you just brought it to the shop you bought it from?

I did. I sent it back to Thomann and then they sent it to a repair shop. But I don't think it is the switch, because like I said, I have the same problems when I use a different switch.
Could there be something wrong with the amp?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Last edited by roter$baron at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by roter$baron
I did. I sent it back to Thomann and then they sent it to a repair shop. But I don't think it is the switch, because like I said, I have the same problems when I use a different switch.
Could there be something wrong with the amp?

No, the amp is fine. Like I and everyone else already said, it's the switches - they are both the wrong type for that particular amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No, the amp is fine. Like I and everyone else already said, it's the switches - they are both the wrong type for that particular amp.

but how can the original blackstar footswitch be wrong? i didn't even know that there are different kinds of switches.
the second one I have is this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/lead_foot_fs2.htm
this is supposed to be a standard footswitch, isn't it? how can that be wrong?

could someone maybe go here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=footswitches_for_guitar_amplifiers&oa=pra
and suggest me one? whichever is the cheapest...
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1