Page 1 of 2
i think their ok. i tried my new guitar out on one because it was the cheapest amp they had but i didn't find any problems.

their coming out with spider 4's so i might try one out since they look interesting.

so what do you think about them and why.

sorry caps don't work
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
1) Wrong forum
2)Searchbar
3)There are better things for the price.

Edit: I'm assuming your talking about Spiders, just to be clear.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at Aug 22, 2009,
Thier defiantly not as bad as the people here on UG make them out to be, dont let anyone fool you.

Sure, the spider 3's arent the best amps in the world, but for a modeling amp they are pretty nice, and you cant really complain with all the effects you get with them - regardless there will still be plenty of flame this amp will receive in this thread.

However, the Spider Valve line is one of the sweetest tube amps in my opinion. Very nice nice hot hot tone. Try one out.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
They suck because the Vypyr costs just as much and is 10x better in every way.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by Vypor
Thier defiantly not as bad as the people here on UG make them out to be, dont let anyone fool you.

Sure, the spider 3's arent the best amps in the world, but for a modeling amp they are pretty nice, and you cant really complain with all the effects you get with them - regardless there will still be plenty of flame this amp will receive in this thread.

However, the Spider Valve line is one of the sweetest tube amps in my opinion. Very nice nice hot hot tone. Try one out.

thats what i like about them. this new spider 4 is suppose to have over 300 different tones.

i'll check the spider valve out next time im in a shop that has it.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Quote by CKYIbanezParker
sorry caps don't work

shift key perhaps?
...Fender + Ritchie Blackmore = hours and hours of GREAT music and guitar execusions...
Quote by Vypor

Spider Valve is an awesome amp IMO, Line 6 isn't as good with their SS modelers.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by Fender for life
shift key perhaps?

it doesn't work all the time.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

No one will ever be able to convince me that this amp isn't a fantastic pile of awesome.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by JoelTheShredder
The Vetta II is probably the best solid state head out, and one of the best heads out full stop. It should be for the price :|

You say it's expensive but it does a hell of a lot more than most valve amps do and it actually costs a fair bit less than the really high end valves.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Ed Hunter
You say it's expensive but it does a hell of a lot more than most valve amps do and it actually costs a fair bit less than the really high end valves.

I still wouldnt take one over a good engl
They are not bad but problem is that they're getting their ass owned big time in the Spider price range.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

The Spiders are hated because there are better amps (Vypyrs) which cost about the same and are really better.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
thats what i like about them. this new spider 4 is suppose to have over 300 different tones.

i'll check the spider valve out next time im in a shop that has it.

WOW 300!!!!!!

I can get 300 different tones using 1 channel and 3 band eq....
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I'd also say they aren't as bad as people here make them out to be. Sure, the br00tal settings like Metal and Insane suck major ass, but it's Crunch channel sounds better than my Cube's overdrive.
line 6 spiders are nt very good

other line 6 products, Pods for example, are awesome
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Well, I own the Spider 3 half stack (150) with the FBV floorboard and I love it. I can get just about anything I need out of it, and as far as distortion goes, I don't think it's bad at all. Maybe I'm just not that picky. I feel like I can get any tone I want for anything I want to play.
a spider III makes a marshall mg sound GREAT. that should be reason enough . with that in mind, i think the spider valve is pretty decent.
They're not, only the Spider is, because it's overpriced.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The main reason Line 6 Spider amps are hated is because people buy them, then blame the amp when they don't sound good.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The main reason Line 6 Spider amps are hated is because people buy them, then blame the amp when they don't sound good.

which is true, because spiders DO sound like ****.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by AlanHB

No.

And if that's the case according to what you say, buy a Spider III, put it on the insane channel and record yourself playing. Your going around saying it's only the 9001 players that have brought it and said it was bad when its them that sucks. You must be a little shredbox yourself.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
They aren't that bad if you just need like a little practise amp, but anything over 30w is just a waste really.

Spider Valves are really nice though, I quite liked it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
They aren't that bad if you just need like a little practise amp, but anything over 30w is just a waste really.

Spider Valves are really nice though, I quite liked it.

Strangely enough, I like the spider Valve, too. MUCH better tone than a Spider, which is interesting to say the least. I really like modelers crossed with tube amps. If only they made a FlexValve.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by wair138
No.

And if that's the case according to what you say, buy a Spider III, put it on the insane channel and record yourself playing. Your going around saying it's only the 9001 players that have brought it and said it was bad when its them that sucks. You must be a little shredbox yourself.

With solid state amps, the distortion channel will rarely be anywhere close to valve. That means that you'll have to use a distortion + overdrive pedal through a good clean channel if the "Insane" channel isn't doing for you.

You're basically getting what you pay for. I'm saying that every amp has some usability, a good guitarist can get a usable tone out of any amp.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It's a decent practice amp.

However, I'm just going to lay this right out on the table:

Buying a 150w practice amp is stupid. You were stupid for doing so if you have and hopefully you learnt from your mistake.

/
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
For god's sakes, why does everyone always assume that tube always>Solid state? In the range of a Spider, there aren't any good tube amps. Solid state in that range tends to be much better.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Spiders suck because they make every guitar sound the same
Other Line 6s aren't so bad, depends on which model
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Quote by oneblackened
For god's sakes, why does everyone always assume that tube always>Solid state? In the range of a Spider, there aren't any good tube amps. Solid state in that range tends to be much better.

I pretty much agree with this. The reason why cheap amps are solid state are because it's a lot cheaper to make. Fair enough, a lot of these amps are bad, because they are cheaply made out of bad stuff. However, higher end solid state stuff is usually really good; it sounds really nice, it doesn't need hardly any maintenace and they are a lot lighter as well. I mean, the music teacher at my school has this transistor amp that has a really nice overdrive (kinda like an Orange Tiny Terror).

It's just the cheap stuff that gives it a bad name really. Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
True that, macker. Tubes on their own are fairly expensive, not to mention the more powerful transformers and the extra components.

High end SS stuff in my opinion is actually better than most high end tube stuff.

Macker are you in the Solid state appreciation group?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 22, 2009,
Personally they annoy me because people keep trying to sell me them when I go hunting for a guitar.

"can I try this guitar?"

"sure, we'll plug you in ... what amp do you use at home?"

"Hughes and Kettner switchblade"

"Oh right, we'll plug you into the line 6 ... have you played one? they're great, just as good as a valve amp, amazing for their price"

"yeah ... I'm not really interes....."

"oh but they're great amps all the different presets"

"I prefer finding my own tones"

"oh but there are so many sounds already there"

"you know what ... i'll go somewhere else"

Pretty much my reason.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by tommyt
Personally they annoy me because people keep trying to sell me them when I go hunting for a guitar.

"can I try this guitar?"

"sure, we'll plug you in ... what amp do you use at home?"

"Hughes and Kettner switchblade"

"Oh right, we'll plug you into the line 6 ... have you played one? they're great, just as good as a valve amp, amazing for their price"

"yeah ... I'm not really interes....."

"oh but they're great amps all the different presets"

"I prefer finding my own tones"

"oh but there are so many sounds already there"

"you know what ... i'll go somewhere else"

Pretty much my reason.

Good freakin' reason.

I do like Line 6 Flextones and Vettas, though, they actually use the models as amps rather than fixed tonal options.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Mods should make a sticky thread saying why exactly people don't like Spiders and MGs for all the n00bs to read.

Or said n00bs could just read every single gear thread and know why, but I guess they are too dumb to understand.

EDIT: but there are plenty of good solid state amps.

Actually the B-52 SS amps seemed very interesting, but I can't find them anywhere.
Last edited by Tedward at Aug 22, 2009,
There's plenty of excellent solid state amps, like the Vetta, Flextone, Ampeg VH140C, Roland Jazz Chorus, and ISP Theta amp. Also, solid state amps are much more practical for beginners than tube amps, because of the better range of tones you can typically get from them in that price range. Also, they are cheaper to maintain, and easier to use. Anyways, people always associate solid state amps with poor tone because there ARE many solid state amps that sound like crap, such as the Spider II and III (I haven't tried a I or a IV), the Marshall MG, the Fender Frontman, Behringers, etc.

However, Line 6 makes some excellent products besides the Spiders. The Vetta is an awesome amp, and does metal better than many high end tube amps, the Flextone is a great midrange option, and the Spider Valve is really warm, and gets amazing blues and crunch tones when dialed in right.

As some people may notice, I have a Spider Valve coming in the mail, and I did some research on it. I believe it actually uses Pod X3 modelling, which is much better than the Spider modelling. The only reason it is called a Spider is because of its interface. Another thing that you can do to make the Spider Valve really excellent is a speaker change. Although the Celestion Vintage 30 is an excellent speaker, it is not suited for modelling. A much better tone can be attained through an Eminence Legend 125.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
i'm getting a spider IV around taxes. I am just curious as to all the settings and modeling.

I'm gonna be getting a jcm2000 just in case lol.

But yeah, I saw that artists actually use this just as a effects head, but the only band I care for that does use it is the deftones.

so basicly a experimenting head IMO or a backup head ex; something I could take to the park and jam for a few hours.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Page 1 of 2