Ok, this one's kind of tricky if you ask me. Suppose a guitar's got 3 pickups, right? 2 of them being humbuckers, and 1 single coil.. now here are me questions...

1.) is it possible to put in different humbucker pickups while still keeping the single coil?

2.) if the stock pickups were active, can i still change the active humbuckers for passive ones while the single coil remains as an active?

3.) similar question, but with stock pickups and the new ones, both as passive... even the single coil being passive? just different manufacturer on the new passive humbuckers.
1. Yes, I'm pretty sure.
2. Think so, but it would require some more wiring.
3. Not sure.
RIP Tom Searle.
2) yes but you can only have active or passive on, you cant have an active and passive going at the same time, so you would have to put them in different circuts and it prob wouldnt be worth doing
2) you'll need to run a seperate circuit within the guitar to isolate the passive from the active. the good thing is though, that because you're powering fewer pickups, the power from the battery will (should) remain constant, pushing you further into overdrive.
nick_b is currently obsessed with:
Pokemon
Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
1. Yep
2. It might be possible, but I doubt it's worth the effort, the wiring could be a pain.
3. Yes, most manufacturers use the same kind of wiring. You can look up wiring diagrams on Seymour Duncan's (a pickup manufacturer) website. Note however that wire colors might differ (e.g. when I bought a DiMarzio hum and looked up Duncans site on how to wire it, the site told me to wire together diff colored wires than the DiMarzio instruction paper.)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
everyone's reply has been different, some say yes, some say no... what's going on here?
Quote by dark_arts
Ok, this one's kind of tricky if you ask me. Suppose a guitar's got 3 pickups, right? 2 of them being humbuckers, and 1 single coil.. now here are me questions...

1.) is it possible to put in different humbucker pickups while still keeping the single coil?

2.) if the stock pickups were active, can i still change the active humbuckers for passive ones while the single coil remains as an active?

3.) similar question, but with stock pickups and the new ones, both as passive... even the single coil being passive? just different manufacturer on the new passive humbuckers.

1) Absolutely. You just have to unsolder the pickups you're removing, and put the proper ones in their place and resolder them in.

2) You can, although you'll have a massive volume drop between the two

3) Absolutely, although you run the risk of volume differences depending on output levels.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by bv310
1) Absolutely. You just have to unsolder the pickups you're removing, and put the proper ones in their place and resolder them in.

2) You can, although you'll have a massive volume drop between the two

3) Absolutely, although you run the risk of volume differences depending on output levels.

and you're sure about your answers, right brock? you sure look like brock :-D!!!
Yes. Brock is right. Brock is always right. Why? because he is Brock.

also because we get threads like this all the time
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I get really bored at work, so I spent the last day or so reading about electronics and pickups.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by dark_arts

Yes

It is possible to mix them. I have an active and a passive in my Epiphone Korina Explorer.
There could be a volume drop but it really depends on what pickups you're using. The volume output of the pickups in my Korina Explorer is actually pretty close.

Yes but color codes will probably be different. If you're not familiar with guitar wiring it can be confusing.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Yes

It is possible to mix them. I have an active and a passive in my Epiphone Korina Explorer.
There could be a volume drop but it really depends on what pickups you're using. The volume output of the pickups in my Korina Explorer is actually pretty close.

Yes but color codes will probably be different. If you're not familiar with guitar wiring it can be confusing.

i see... well then, i should look up some more wiring... and get some actual experience... reading all those manuals gets me no where... but the actual operation is better... and thanks a lot for the info...
I want to clarify my post above. On my Korina Explorer I used a 25K pot for the EMG's vol and it doesn't have a tone control, and I used 500k pots (vol & tone) for the passive pickup. This way I can use one or the other with no adverse affects.