Page 1 of 2
I am, anyone knowledgable on these things?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
welll most basic thing is that there's different ones for each key, so if you're singing with it get one that compliments your vocals
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
I was thinking of getting one in C, but I don't know my vocal range.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852

consult the vocals/singing thread to find out how to do this
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Just get a song you can sing and play guitar to, and play it in different keys to see which one works best?
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by guitar-guy01
consult the vocals/singing thread to find out how to do this

Link? Can't fidn it.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
I do know quite a bit. Are you going to play blues? If so you would be playing in G with a C harp.
What's your price-range?
¯|(°_o)/¯
it's hella fun
take one in C , because most of the ''basic song'' that can be learned are in C
I'd say to take the blues river harp, it work really good
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
A Harmonica in C is the best choice for someone just starting to play, then you can buy different keys as you need. Try looking at a Hohner Special 20 - it's fairly cheap and good quality.
Quote by titsmcgee852

Quote by dethofmoo
A Harmonica in C is the best choice for someone just starting to play, then you can buy different keys as you need. Try looking at a Hohner Special 20 - it's fairly cheap and good quality.

Most common/best harmonica to start with is a diatonic one in the key of C. Specifically the Hohner Special 20.
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Cheers guys!

What price would I be looking at?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
Cheers guys!

What price would I be looking at?

Somewhere around 25$-30$ usd. I would recommend a Seydel or a Bushman above a Hohner or a Lee Oscar though, but it's mainly personal preference.
Don't cheap out and get a 10$ harp, it's useless.
Also, the reason a C is usually recommended is because it is in the middle of the tonal range of the harmonicas, G being the lowest and F# the highest (although there are lower and higher tuned harmonicas)
¯|(°_o)/¯
Last edited by Zox at Aug 22, 2009,
You can get a beginners harmonica in C for about $15 - $20 AUD. My dad has one don't go any cheaper, if it costs less $10 you might as well get a plastic toy.
je used to have this really good harmonica that had two rows of notes (i don't know my harmonica terminology), but yeah, usually a fairlyl cheap one will have an octave, not too hard to teach yourself. my dad's self taught (but then again, he taught himself guitar and piano too...)
Last edited by funkyducky at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by funkyducky
You can get a beginners harmonica in C for about $15 - $20 AUD. My dad has one don't go any cheaper, if it costs less $10 you might as well get a plastic toy.
je used to have this really good harmonica that had two rows of notes (i don't know my harmonica terminology), but yeah, usually a fairlyl cheap one will have an octave, not too hard to teach yourself. my dad's self taught (but then again, he taught himself guitar and piano too...)

Where did you get it?

I got a really cheap toy one at melmusic but i was interesting in a bigger one anyway.
Do they have just a one octave range? Is the middle of the harmonica C? Am I totally on the wrong track?

Stay tuned.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
OK first thing is first you're gonna have to learn that there are many kinds of harmonicas. Diatonic (10 hole), tremolo and chromatic. If you want to play blues, or just feel like picking up the instrument for fun then you're going to want to go for a diatonic. They're the simplest of the harmonicas so you'll have an easier time learning to play on them. You're going to want to go for a harmonica from either Lee Oskar or Hohner as previously mentioned. I started with a Hohner Blues Harp and it worked out well, since then I've bought others which are less fun to play. Definitely buy your first one in C regardless of your vocal range, you'll soon learn that you can add to your collection rather easily. I've also heard good things about Hohner Marine Bands. Anyway, once you pick one up you're going to want to learn how to get good clean blows and draws, then learn bending, overblows/overdraws etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KudzuRunner?feature=chclk This guy, Adam Gussow, does a great series of lessons (seriously, he's got over 100 vids). Most of what I know about the harp I've learnt from his videos.

EDIT: When you buy a harmonica in a key the lowest note on that harmonica is the note of the key its in (lowest note on a C harp is C, you get the idea), however this does not mean that you're necessarily playing in that key. Just like on the guitar you can play in different positions. The majority of blues playing is done in second position, this is known as playing cross harp, so when you're playing a C harp in second position you're playing in the key of G. http://images.ernieblues.us/music/harmonicas/lee_oskar_1910_d2.jpg
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by titsmcgee852
Do they have just a one octave range? Is the middle of the harmonica C? Am I totally on the wrong track?

Stay tuned.

No, they have more than one octave.

Quote by blynd_snyper

EDIT: When you buy a harmonica in a key the lowest note on that harmonica is the note of the key its in (lowest note on a C harp is C, you get the idea), however this does not mean that you're necessarily playing in that key. Just like on the guitar you can play in different positions. The majority of blues playing is done in second position, this is known as playing cross harp, so when you're playing a C harp in second position you're playing in the key of G. http://images.ernieblues.us/music/harmonicas/lee_oskar_1910_d2.jpg

^ What he said.

Also, Gussow is king, watch his videos.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Thanks so much guys!
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by Bass First
Where did you get it?

I got a really cheap toy one at melmusic but i was interesting in a bigger one anyway.

fretted instruments in fitzroy.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If you can, get one with that pitch slider thing on the side.

There's no point. It's better to learn to play without one as a beginner. Learning to play different notes without one will help other aspects of your harp playing.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If you can, get one with that pitch slider thing on the side.

If you want to learn how to play Bob Dylan/Neil Young style harp, or blues harp, this would be a ridiculous thing to do, since pretty much all of that is played on a diatonic (10 hole harp, tuned to a specific key). The thing you're talking about is a chromatic harmonica, as played by Stevie Wonder and Toots Thielemans, which is an entirely different beast...

ITS

A

HARMONICAAAAAAAAAA
Last edited by Joshbeau at Aug 22, 2009,
Get a hohner Marine Band one, preferably one of those boxes of ones so that you can play in many different keys. Or a C harp, I don't know much so everyone else is probably better help.
http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-Marine-Band-Harmonica-Key/dp/B0002D00H8
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by cornmancer
How does one do that just unscrew the two end pieces?

It's a little more complicated, basically you've got a sandwhich, there's the outer layer which holds the metal, then a sheet with all the reeds on it (the bits that vibrate) then the wooden comb, then another metal sheet with the reeds, then the other side of the cover. First you have to remove the top and bottom covers with a couple screws then underneath that is another set of screws which holds the reed plate to the comb. Just be VERY careful that you put the reeds back the way you took them out. You don't want to mix up your draw reeds with your blow ones or turn them around/flip them over.
Lets just say I wouldn't reccommend ebay or second hand.

You don't know whose lips have touched that thing :O
Page 1 of 2