Assume I'm a complete idiot. Educate me. What are they, how do you install 'em, why, when, yada yada yada.
“Baaaaabe,baaaaabe,baaaabe....”
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
You would usually install them to split a humbucker. For example, Ed Roman Quicksilvers (usually) have two humbuckers. If you pull out the pot you are using one coil in the humbucker to get a single coil sound.

You could also use a push/pull to do series or parallel wiring. Do a search of guitar diagrams.
Usually you install them to split the coils in humbuckers, giving you a thinner single coil type sound. You can find wiring diagrams online, however be aware not all humbuckers can be split.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by carl drew
You would usually install them to split a humbucker. For example, Ed Roman Quicksilvers (usually) have two humbuckers. If you pull out the pot you are using one coil in the humbucker to get a single coil sound.

You could also use a push/pull to do series or parallel wiring. Do a search of guitar diagrams.

Why would you use that a$$ clown Ed Roman as an example? Don't you know his name is like a curse word on this website...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
They are replacements for your standard pots which allow you to change the set up of your pick ups. If you do not have 4 wire pick ups then they will do you no good. The most common use for them is to split the coils on a humbucker pick up giving you a single coil type of tone. When wired properly, you pull up on the knob and it activates the split.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
It's an amazing feature that is good if you want to record clean and brootal metal distortion with the same guitar.
Quote by handlerb
Why would you use that a$$ clown Ed Roman as an example? Don't you know his name is like a curse word on this website...

Well, I actually own an Ed Roman Quicksilver which pretty much sent my early 90's PRS under my bed for all eternity.

Only guitar I own with Push/Pull - aside from my Variax.

Here is a pic (2nd from right)

Quote by carl drew

Well, I have a Squier Fat Strat, the California Series one. Not the best, but I like it. Will a push-pull pot work? Do I even NEED one? And how much will it cost to get it installed?
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
If you don't even know what one does, then no, you don't need one. Do you want to be able to get P-90 tones out of your humbucker? Do you want to tap (lower the output and brighten the sound of) your singlecoil pickups? Do you want to change the phase of your pickups, do you want to change from series to parallel wiring?

Unless you want those things, and you know how to do them (which evidently you don't), then no, you don't need to install any new pots.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.