So i have this Hornsay Flying V (cheap Ebay guitar) hanging around, and thought of testing out a few things to make it into either a good playing guitar or just a show guitar that i can hang up. This will be my first attempt at doing anything besides pickup changes, and im not that sure where to start.

Heres some pictures of it at the moment. (Only pics i can get)

Now, the neck looks REALLY good for such a cheap guitar, love those inlays. Im thinking of sanding the finish off, and just having the wood. I really have a thing for those natural finishes, or whatever you call them. I think the guitar is made out of plywood or some other cheap wood. Will plywood be okay for a natural finish? The neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, so thats good.

So, im going to get to the point. Im planning on sanding the body to the natural look, and getting some gold hardware or just leaving it silver. Do you think this would look alright with a plywood guitar? (I know im not losing much if it doesnt look good, but i would like to get some opinions.)

Any recommendations on what i should do to make it look as good as possible? Should i coat the wood with some special finish stuff, or just leave it as is? All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, is it better to adjust the Truss Rod with the strings off, or does it not really make a difference?

Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by DiizZ
Also, is it better to adjust the Truss Rod with the strings off, or does it not really make a difference?

Leave the strings on, otherwise it makes it really hard to adjust it to the right setting. You'll want to set the truss rod while you have your usual gauge strings set to your usual tuning.

ps: I thought your sig said 'buy my crabs' for a split second :P
That headstock is veryyyy ugly. The pickguard looks a little out of place too. You might want to try and change the color. That's a pretty easy thing to change.
There be no shelter here.
The pick guard has to stay. That is a front-routed guitar. The switch, pots, and jack are all mounted to the pickguard.

Of course you could fill it then rear-rout and refinish in a solid colour...
Quote by DiizZ
So, im going to get to the point. Im planning on sanding the body to the natural look, and getting some gold hardware or just leaving it silver. Do you think this would look alright with a plywood guitar? (I know im not losing much if it doesnt look good, but i would like to get some opinions.)
Impossible to tell. It mostly depends on the top ply of the wood. Is the grain pattern attractive? No way to know until you remove the paint.

Regardless, you'll have to use something opaque on the edges, lest all the plies will be obvious. Tbh, I'd leave the finish as-is and just work on the playability.

Regarding the pickguard: You can get a custom guard cut for you fairly cheaply. You'll have to draw it out, though. Obviously, you can cover more and change the overall shape, but you'll need to cover the routing beneath.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I actually like the redburst.

As for the ply, you could leave it really obvious, or do a black back and a natural top.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I agree that the headstock is ugly. What do you think i should do to it?

Heres a few closeups of it:

The pickguard is much larger than the acutal cavity, so i can cut it into a different shape. I do need some suggestions though, heres some pics of the size difference, so you can see what i have to work with.

If i do sand it, what grit should i use? And if i decide to repaint it (Im thinking silverburst type thing, if the wood looks like sh*t) Would ordinary paint work, seeing as though its only a plywood body?

Cheers for all the help so far, its been great.

Quote by Danyg
Anyone?

Quote by Danyg
how much did u buy your hornsay for and is it any good as i am looking at buying one from ebay. isit worth getting one of these?thanks for replying