For a little while now ive been considering getting a fuzz pedal as i think they're an essential to have in my pedal arsenal for some of the music i play (plus i like using fuzzy tones where they weren't even used originally ). In my usual UG hangout (laney thread) i suggested i was thinking about getting a fuzz pedal of the muff variety, and was met with a cold response. Fair enough, they may not be to eveyone's taste. What do you guys suggest for my fuzzy needs?

Im looking for something that can be quite fat and smooth (which drew me to the Wicker Muff) but can also handle some more vintage sounds (ive recently discovered the SD Tweak Fuzz which i like the sound of as its quite versatile). I wouldnt be willing to pay over £80 (maxmax) for the pedal, so no Swollen Pickles . I'm interested to hear your suggestions,

Thanks.

Also while i think of it, your first thought would probably be "why dont you just try them out?", however im not really in the position to do so considering the nearest decent guitar store from where i am would be in the country's capital - 2 hours away =/
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Aug 22, 2009,
Ya, I would go with the dunlop fuzz face, it sounds great and vintage, gives you a nice hendrix fuzz tone. Its also true by-pass, if that matters to you.

I think there is a boss fuzz pedal, ive never used it, but ive watched a demo, and it can replicate a few vintage fuzz pedals. Its probably cheaper too.

but go with the dunlop fuzz face
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
Oh ok cool, i think they can get a bit pricey over here but i think i saw one for £85

EDIT: i suppose i could always go for a madebymike copy
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Aug 22, 2009,
build your own. they're one of the simplest circuits imaginable, needing only a handful of components. if you don't want to got through the trouble of finding components and making a circuit yourself, give BYOC a look. http://buildyourownclone.com/fxkitindex.html
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Not the Dunlop version. Get the MXR M173 fuzz. Much better recreation of the original Fuzz Face.

Ironically, MXR is made by Dunlop

The Classic 108 is a good fuzz, though.

And to the TS. Get a Big Muff with Tone Wicker or a Russian Muff.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Good point, but not even in the same area of awesomeness. The red fuzz face is just bad imo.

I don't like fuzz faces in general so my opinion on the red one is moot. I do, however, appreciate the Classic 108
Check out my sig, I'm gonna be making that soon.

Also, Roger Mayer makes nice fuzzes.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Try and score an MJM for that price. They are very versatile, kind of like a cross between a Tonebender and a Fuzz Face.

I also support the MXR fuzz, they are great pedals, but it would be much cheaper just to build one.
fat and smooth fuzz? Lovepedal 200lbs of Tone
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by rhcp_freak
Check out my sig, I'm gonna be making that soon.

Also, Roger Mayer makes nice fuzzes.

Cool Beans, Faz. Id love to hear some clips when you're done making one to help me decide
go for the russian muff.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
go for the russian muff.

I don't play bass i think i would go for the Big muff with tone wicker IF i could get a good enough price...