Ive got a used cab with two 8 ohm vintage 30 speakers that are in series, 16ohm total
but i dont know if the guy wired it correctly so i wanna double check

how do i know whats - and + on the terminal? all wires in the cab is black now

and will it give better sound if i rewire it to parellel?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

the tabs on the terminal (phone jack, input jack on cab) isnt labeled, so i want to know anyway to find out which can be which
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Quote by Jaekae
and will it give better sound if i rewire it to parellel?
It depends on the output impedance of the amp you're connecting it to. Is it a tube amp? Do you have an impedance selector? What make/model is the amp? Without more info about the amp, that question can't be answered.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
If you cannot determine which terminals are positive and negative, don't sweat it. All that really matters is that you connect the two speakers in phase with one another. So which ever you connect to positive, do both the same way.

In an abstract world (not taking into account your amp, which needs to be accounted for), parallel or series will not give you "better" or "worse" sound, but it will give you different total impedance for the cab. If you wire two 8Ω speakers you get 16Ω total. In parallel you would get 4Ω total. Wire it to match what your amp is designed for.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Aug 22, 2009,
my amp got a switch to change between 4, 8 and 16 so thats why i asked if it would give better sound if i tried to rewire it to 4 instead of 16 which its now