HI Ultimate Guitar Members,

Please can someone help.

I am always criticised for finger picking to quitely, infact it is really starting to effect my confidence. Does anyone else have this problem?

When I try to pick louder my fingers just hit other strings and I seem to lose my positioning.

Does anyone have any hints and tips how too improve this?

I have been playing about 3 years and picking for about 2 years, i don't get to practice as much as when I first started unfortunately. Maybe this is simply the problem?

Im new to the forum, so a big Hi There to you all.
Last edited by lunacally at Aug 22, 2009,
Might it be partly your guitar? I fingerpick very loudly, yet my guitar still isn't very loud.

You might try to just PRACTICE to pick harder. Sounds dumb. But whenever you are playing, try to play louder. Play slower if you have to to get the accuracy and volume
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Welcome to the forum!
First off, you mistakenly posted a link to the smilie list from the advanced area for posting. You should edit your post and remove it.

Now then, on to your issue. Practice does indeed make perfect as they say, but you may also benefit from having your fingernails grown out and shaped for fingerpicking. I'm a flatpicker myself, but I do know that a lot of volume can be had by having and using nails instead of strictly the meat part of your fingers contacting the strings.
Quote by Amer91
I would suggest you use thicker picks and hold them firmly.

Did you even read his post? He said he's having issues with volume from FINGER-PICKING.
What lefty dave said about your nails is true too, I didn't even think of it since I'm so used to having them. Try growing your nails out, it really does increase your volume. Look up how to shape them online
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thanks everyone,

I do have nails and find that filing them to a pick sort of shape helps, but perhaps it really is down to practice in the end, though I have been trying to pick louder for about 6 months and not getting anywhere.

I was wondering of it was my technique perhaps, being poor.

I will just have to keep on praticing and hopefully get there in the end.

PS yes the smiley went somewhat wrong there... doh
Practise slowly. It's easier to play louder and stay with good technique if you play everything slower because you have more time to concentrate on things.

Quote by lunacally
Im new to the forum, so a big Hi There to you all.

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

maybe it might have to do with the angle of your wrist. for instance, some people tilt their wrists/hands so it is perpendicular to the guitar strings while you're supposed to have your wrist/hands straight and in a more natural position

or it could just be your guitar, or maybe try getting some finger picks for volume.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The guitar is an Ibanez EW20, it's an ash body, I'm not experienced enough to know if this guitar construction effects the volume.

I'll keep on the practicing and slow down, but I think I may also invest in some finger picks too, see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice

Irene
Quote by lunacally
The guitar is an Ibanez EW20, it's an ash body, I'm not experienced enough to know if this guitar construction effects the volume.

I'll keep on the practicing and slow down, but I think I may also invest in some finger picks too, see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice

Irene

Fingerpicks will dramatically reduce your abilty to control tonal nuance.
- just so you know.
A bit like taking a shower in a raincoat, I have another more pithy analogy, but you need to be male to appreciate it .
Quote by R.Christie
Fingerpicks will dramatically reduce your abilty to control tonal nuance.
- just so you know.
A bit like taking a shower in a raincoat, I have another more pithy analogy, but you need to be male to appreciate it .

Do it, do it, do it....

Also, Ibanez makes crappy acoustics and ash is not a very good wood to use at all in an acoustic guitar, no matter where you put it.
Last edited by i_don't_know at Aug 23, 2009,