I cannot express the amount of anger I have right now other than an abrasive internet rant.

My drummer quit Aug 8th. Right before our gig on the 13th, and our gig on the 22nd- both at the same venue. I had to call the promoter the night before the first gig to tell him it was over than find him another band to cover for us. Than I got a fill in to play tonight , but the fill in realized he was going to California today and couldn't play. Than we called our old drummer back to do one last show. He calls me this morning and tells me that he forgot he had to go to his dads and his drum-kit is in Vermont because his stepdad needs to use it for his band and how like he has work till 8 so we cant practice.
This is after a month of trying to force him to practice and constantly bailing out to eventual quitting- which just, grinds me up because i pretty much wasted a month of my summer waiting on this guy when I should have just fired him and moved on.

He doesnt understand how unprofessional it is to call a venue during the DAY of your show and just say oh no we can't play becuase our drummer cannot be reached via CELLPHONE or anyother method. I'm so ****ing pissed off at the stupidity of some kid who screws up MY summer and wastes MY time. I have obligations and **** to get done. I've got connections to uphold. The amount of anger I'm inflected with is ridiculous- especially when I put all this work into something for a year and a half and this kid just ****ing drops it. I simply am so outraged at the unprofessionalism....
Possible lesson in bandleading... Was this grossly out of character for him (in which case you couldn't possibly have prevented this) or did he demonstrate a history of unreliability or unprofessionalism (in which case, you could have averted this)?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Sorry to hear about that dude. Don't let that S hit try and get to you. I have been in this band for 2 years and we have been through like a million members lol. You have to go through a million before you find the right one.
Quote by axemanchris
Possible lesson in bandleading... Was this grossly out of character for him (in which case you couldn't possibly have prevented this) or did he demonstrate a history of unreliability or unprofessionalism (in which case, you could have averted this)?

CT

Not until the summer, we tried giving him a chance becuase it wasn't as if he was purposely ditching practice or anything. We would schedule **** and for some reason he wouldn't anticipate other things occuring, however I feel we should have let him go immediatly when he was gone for a week when he was supposed to be at martha's vineyard for all july, and instead he found out he had summer school and didnt tell us for a ****ing week till I see him partying at the beach on the fourth of july. we excused him becuase he had been busy with summer school work and for a week of july he'd been staying at his aunts because his mother was away. Its just ridiculous- i suppose had i been smarter i would have fired him immediately
Quote by Stephen Bobra
Sorry to hear about that dude. Don't let that S hit try and get to you. I have been in this band for 2 years and we have been through like a million members lol. You have to go through a million before you find the right one.

Weirdly enough for us we've had 3 core members. Initially we were a four piece with another guitarist, and we had another vocalist for a gig, than left (not heavy metal enthusiastic) and we've been a 3 piece for a year (our bassist breifly quit, but we got him back a month later when his carpal tunnel got better). So it's really been this power trio the whole time
****....sorry man that sounds bad
Got any possible new drummers lined up?
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
IWhat he said.. and then some
You should have seen that your drummer was like that before a gig came up.

Still, the only thing to do now is replace him. Permanently.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Highwaytohell
Not until the summer, we tried giving him a chance becuase it wasn't as if he was purposely ditching practice or anything. We would schedule **** and for some reason he wouldn't anticipate other things occuring, however I feel we should have let him go immediatly when he was gone for a week when he was supposed to be at martha's vineyard for all july, and instead he found out he had summer school and didnt tell us for a ****ing week till I see him partying at the beach on the fourth of july. we excused him becuase he had been busy with summer school work and for a week of july he'd been staying at his aunts because his mother was away. Its just ridiculous- i suppose had i been smarter i would have fired him immediately

So canceling really isn't out of character for him. He's a bullshit artist. Half the stuff he says isn't true. He doesn't tell you when he can and can't do practice, despite the fact he already knows.

The lesson to be learnt here is simply look to a person's actions and not to their words. If they act like they don't want to be in a band, they don't. Don't take excuses. You can't force them to want to be in the band either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
So canceling really isn't out of character for him. He's a bullshit artist. Half the stuff he says isn't true. He doesn't tell you when he can and can't do practice, despite the fact he already knows.

The lesson to be learnt here is simply look to a person's actions and not to their words. If they act like they don't want to be in a band, they don't. Don't take excuses. You can't force them to want to be in the band either.

This ^

It's a shame you had to cancel the gigs though, couldn't you have pulled out an impromptu acoustic session; you would probably have gained some credability that way.
Ive seen this too many times to count, and I know that it's no fun. No one wants to let a band member go, especially drummers and bassists. It seems like Singers and Gutarists are a dime a dozen these days, but having to fire a drummer is hard to do. Im sorry he quit, but in the long run, it may heve been for the best.

Good luck man, sorry about the gigs.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204