Hi again,

I should have added this question to my other one (playing louder), but didn't think too, silly me.

I have a cheap (£169 sterling) Fender DG10 acoustic, about 6-8 years old and the fourth fret is coming off. It is only slight but is effecting the top E very badly and sometimes the B string.

Is it worth getting fixed? I've read a variety of sites giving all sorts of advice and it seems fixing Frets isn't as easy as it may seem.

Would I have to get all the frets changed or is it worth trying to fix the fourth one alone? I've read this can just make it worse as all the frets need to be the same height.

I also have an Ibanez EW20 electro acoustic, so I still have something to play, but the sound of the Fender is totally different and being a relative begginer sort of (3 years) and no spare cash, I would like to get it sorted if its worth it.
Take the strings off and hammer it back in with a fret mallet.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Aug 22, 2009,
^most people don't have a fret mallet.

Lightly hitting it with a rubber mallet should be fine though.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Wow, hitting it with mallets sounds a bit scary, but will give it a go.

Do you think it will stay in place if i get it to rest back down again this way?
Quote by Natrone
^most people don't have a fret mallet.

Lightly hitting it with a rubber mallet should be fine though.

Buy a fret mallet?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by lunacally
Wow, hitting it with mallets sounds a bit scary, but will give it a go.

Do you think it will stay in place if i get it to rest back down again this way?

That depends on if the wood of the fretboard is damaged along the sides of the fret wire. The wire itself has barbed edges, sort of like a fish hook, that helps the wire to stay in place once it's pounded in the slot. If the wood to either side is damaged and there's nothing left for the barbs to grab onto anymore, then the whole fret wire would need to be removed, the slot filled in and re-cut, and a new fret wire installed(old one could be used again if it's not badly worn). Then it's just a matter of leveling and crowning the wire to match the others.

So, try tapping it back in place. No, you don't need a special hammer to do it. A regular small nail hammer will do. Protect the top of the fret wire with a cloth and just tap on it to force the wire back into the slot. Experiment with it to see if it holds in position, and of course play the guitar.
Thanks guys,

I've had a good look and there may be more coming off. 5/6 seems very rough and a little raised, though they don't seem to be effecting the sound just yet. I think this would be far to big of a job for me, never fix a guitar before. I think on your advice I'll have to take it to a repair shop and see if how much it will cost. May not be worth repairing if this cost is too big, being a cheap guitar

I'll try hammering it first, incase it helps, but I think you may be correct, it seems a bit too damaged to me.

Thanks again, you've been a great help
Drip a little super glue in the crack and clamp the fret back down. If it's loose should be a piece of cake.