UG'ers

My friend wants me to play a few gigs with his band on bass. I am a guitar player, I used to play some bass in my school, but now I face the problem of not having a bass. Where do you guys suggest looking for (most likely used) bass that I can play for a bit. Pawn shop? Craigslist? Like I said i'm only looking for one for some gigging and will probably sell it within a year, because I'm going off to grad school and the band will be staying.

Also do you ave any suggestions about what to look for as far as brands go. I just want something dependable and cheap. Maybe a fender?
I like craigslist and kijiji, and people are more than happy to let you try the stuff out, though they don't always have an amp for you to use.

I would suggest ibanez, their lower end stuff has good quality control, whereas squiers tend to have some lemons. an MiM fender is good too, though
If you have a Sam Ash by you go there. I personally hate guitar center, if you dont want to buy a line 6 amp or know hot to play some br00talz shreading they want nothing to do with you. Atleast at Sam Ash they will help you with anything you want.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
try a pawnshop
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
If you have any local Guitar Centers or Daddy's Junky Music or whatever, I would just inquire with one of the employees and they'll help you from there. Those are two specific ones, but most chain stores would most likely have that.

Edit: Since you wanted some suggestions for brands, it depends what you're playing, but around here Ibanez and Squier will get recommended, particularly the Ibby GSR200 and Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe.
Last edited by Steve08 at Aug 22, 2009,
[quote="'[EricS"]']If you're a guitarist and your getting a bass, how to you plan on people hearing it? You can't use your guitar amp....

obviously.

I was planning on going directly into the PA