i have a carlo robelli acoustic guiatr and a while ago i dropped it and the headstock snapped off (in a dovetail shape) recently i used gorilla glue to repair it(as per the instructions on the bottle). so is it safe to put my tuning heads back on and try some stings? its been about 7 days since i glued it back together. thanks for the help
- Mr.Fussytabs

Edit: note i clamped it for about 4 hours after gluing it
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Last edited by Mrfussytabs at Aug 22, 2009,
The glue is stronger than the wood, but I'd check with a luthier that hangs out in the Gear Building forum and explain everything. His user name is David Collins

Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Before you string it up, put some pressure on the headstock with your hands (like you were trying to bend the neck). If it holds then string it up slowly, tune it flat for a while before you tune it up to A440. And wear your safety glasses. It should hold fine.
thin slice o skin
You'll never know until you try right? It was already broke, so what do you have to lose at this point but to try it with strings on it and see if it holds.
Quote by David Collins
Now that it's already glued, of course there's no reason not to string it up and test it. For future reference though, it's better to ask questions before doing the work, rather than after your done to ask if what you did should be okay.

Gorilla glue would not have been my first choice, but if the joint fit perfectly and seamlessly when clamped back together it should probably be okay. Now go through the Gorilla glue away, don't ever bring it near your guitar again, string up your guitar, and hope for the best.

Ah, there you are.

What kind of glue do you normally use for repairs like that? I'm asking because I sometimes see severely damaged guitars that I would like to test my non-existent woodworking skills on...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

I've heard that Tite Bond is a good choice for gluing instruments back together, but then again, I'm no luthier.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
From what I've seen wood glue, specifically Tite Bond, should be used
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd listen to everything that David Collins just said, It looks like he knows what he's talking about.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Generally wood to wood is best to use something like tightbond but Gorilla Glue should work fine. Go ahead and string it up and if for some reason it breaks again clean the glue off with acetone and use a wood glue on it and clamp it.
Quote by R.Christie
Thanks for that informative post Mr Collins.

Seconded. I appreciate your time.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95