I just got my first 5-string bass yesterday (Traben Phoenix) and i know it will take me some time to get used to the bigger size but how long did it take you guys to adjust from a 4 to a 5 string bass. Really the only problem is me reaching the D and G strings.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Aug 22, 2009,
In 15 minutes I was already used to the 5 strings... Just think about it before you'll actually play and won't be a big deal.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
If you're having trouble reaching the D and G strings I might suggest learning the floating thumb method. It might be a bit of a pain to get used to but it's a great thing to learn. At least, it was for me. It lets your right hand be in the same shape for all strings. Thus, keeping your volume even across all strings...Here, this guy explains it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
If you're having trouble reaching the D and G strings I might suggest learning the floating thumb method. It might be a bit of a pain to get used to but it's a great thing to learn. At least, it was for me. It lets your right hand be in the same shape for all strings. Thus, keeping your volume even across all strings...Here, this guy explains it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

yea i've been trying that out and it works i just need to get used to it. I guess i'll just have to get used to it.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Ya. spend some time on it. After I got it down it felt way more comfortable...

BTW. I started on a five string and used the B string for my anchor at first. Seemed comfortable at the time but my playing has improved greatly since I stopped anchoring myself. i still anchor on the B sometimes when I'm playing on the E. I'm working on stopping that, also.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
it took about five minutes to get used to having the lower string
it took a few days to get used to moving around my anchor
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
It doesn't take long if you don't let it seem like a big task, just remember that it's only one extra string.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I found the first hour or so actual playing that looking at the fretboard screwed me right up :P I went to an ibanez fiver, and I would hit all the other strings as well, because of the tighter string spacing. This may or may not help, but I was in the same position too

tips for a five string
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Aug 22, 2009,
I went from a 4 to a 6, that was fun! Took me 30 minutes to get down the basics, but a month on I'm still kind of adjusting. It doesn't feel unnatural to play a 4 yet (which is my goal )

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I sold my soul and got bigger hands. Works a charm.
He who knows all, knows nothing in the eye of a imbecile.
took me literally 10 mins, then 3 or 4 mins the next few practices, then I was fine.

suppose everyone's different
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think