My son is 7 and plays a little bit of guitar here and there. I had shown him an E and A chord and how to strum.

He seems to be doing it more and more these days and keeps coming in with his little guitar (which is a little First Act acoustic) and showing me.

I am going to buy him an electric, an amp and a pair of headphones.

I was thinking of buying him a Fender Mustang because of the short scale or maybe a lower end Rickenbacker.

Any suggestions?
Fender mustang sounds like a good idea. Not only will it fit him better than a 25.5" scale guitar, it doesn't sound like ass unlike most mini guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Squier Mini Strat and a Peavy Vypyr?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
dont go too cheap coz that discourages people. if ur ona tite budget then a squier standard strat is the way to go. cheap. sounds awesome. if hes not looking for a specific sound, which im assuming coz hes 7, then u cant go wrong with a small marshall.
If you know how to set up a guitar or don't mind taking it to a guitar tech, I would recommend an SX 3/4 size guitar and a Vox DA 5 amp. SX brand are very good guitars for the money, good tone woods, decent hardware and pickups, most players choose to upgrade those parts but for a kid it'll be fine. The DA 5 amp is a nice little 5 watt modeling amp, which means it has 11 amps emulations, from Fenders to Marshalls, so you'll have your cleans, chimey sounds and crunchy Marshall tones covered, plus a headphone jack.
links,
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2197.html

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

EDIT: Also found this guitar, Short scale guitar but full body size
http://www.rondomusic.com/peragro2ts.html

What people said about trying not to go too cheap is good advice for someone who you know will for sure continue playing guitar, however you never know if your son will lose interest, that's how kids are. So it's up to you!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Last edited by SkaJon at Aug 22, 2009,
I had a Kustom 10 watt amp when I started, it was really cheap but I liked it. Better than an MG for sure.
To be honest, I'd get him a Mustang. 3/4s, even on how cheap they are, would be a waste of money if he didn't want to continue playing guitar. If you get a Mustang, and he doesn't want to learn to play, at least you've got a guitar that you can play as well.

Plus, the Mustang will last ages, which is good. And, you won't really have to buy him a new, full sized guitar in the future; it's he needs more sounds, he can mod it. The Mustang, and a Roland Microcube would be really good for him; I think it sounds better than that Vox DA5. Or, if you have the money for it, you could get a Vox AC4, which is a nice amp, and would suit the Mustang well. Plus, that would be a nice amp for you, again if he doesn't want to continue playing.

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i'd say if you can find a H/S/S Squier strat, then that'd be good.

Size may be a problem, I'd sugest you take your son to a guitar shop and see if normal size guitars are too big and what not.

I'd go with a more expensive one so he has time to grow with it and isn't discourged to stop for the lack of nice gear.

Good luck sir.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by Lil Macker
To be honest, I'd get him a Mustang. 3/4s, even on how cheap they are, would be a waste of money if he didn't want to continue playing guitar. If you get a Mustang, and he doesn't want to learn to play, at least you've got a guitar that you can play as well.

Plus, the Mustang will last ages, which is good. And, you won't really have to buy him a new, full sized guitar in the future; it's he needs more sounds, he can mod it. The Mustang, and a Roland Microcube would be really good for him; I think it sounds better than that Vox DA5. Or, if you have the money for it, you could get a Vox AC4, which is a nice amp, and would suit the Mustang well. Plus, that would be a nice amp for you, again if he doesn't want to continue playing.

Oh well.

Hey yeah that's true if your son doesn't continue playing then you can yank the guitar. Alright so ditch the 3/4 size guitars, if you got the cash go for the Mustang, great guitars I've loved every one I've played. Also I really liked the Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic, light and had a good tone IMO, plus a fantastic glossy neck. Also the Roland Micro Cube is a good modeling amp as well, I personally prefer the Vox but that's a matter of personal taste.
here's a link to the Duo Sonic
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-DuoSonic-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519399
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
An Ibanez ORM-1 might be a little better suited then the Mustang.

It costs about half, it has a hard tail, the body is smaller and the neck is slimmer and a little wider, extra room for fretting.

Either are really great and will suit him well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The mustang and a Roland Cube would be a good choice.

What kind of music does he like?
Quote by STABxYOU
An Ibanez ORM-1 might be a little better suited then the Mustang.

It costs about half, it has a hard tail, the body is smaller and the neck is slimmer and a little wider, extra room for fretting.

Either are really great and will suit him well.

This guy just owned the thread...
A 7 year old kid that just started to play will need playability...Hard tail is also better for the tuning stability(not only begginers even advanced players need this:P) As for the sound, there is no big difference in such low budget, plus with the extra money(not a fortune but w/e) he saves he can replace anything he doesn't like on the guitar with something better or get a better amp. Both the amps that were reffered( Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr) are great at least to get him started.

P.S. I'm really happy that so many parents come to UG for help!
Quote by bulldozerbob
I think someone stole my Yu-Hi-Oh cards from my class draw when I was little.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm homophobic. I can't stand gays.
Quote by FretKiller
This guy just owned the thread...
A 7 year old kid that just started to play will need playability...Hard tail is also better for the tuning stability(not only begginers even advanced players need this:P) As for the sound, there is no big difference in such low budget, plus with the extra money(not a fortune but w/e) he saves he can replace anything he doesn't like on the guitar with something better or get a better amp. Both the amps that were reffered( Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr) are great at least to get him started.

P.S. I'm really happy that so many parents come to UG for help!

I wish my parents came on here before they bought my first guitar. >.>

Anyways, even as far as trems go, Mustang bridges are kinda fiddly, if you're buying a first guitar something like a 2 or 6 bolt Strat trem is prefered, if not a hardtail. TOMs are super easy to set up, Mustang bridges... not so much.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Do like this. Go the GC and ask for a beginners guitar and amp, and they'll hand you a squier and Line6 spider THEN flame then and ask for a Mustang

I would go for the mustang!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
A mustang's a good idea, but also try a Jaguar (same scale), or an Epiphone (it's almost all short-scale there)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

I would never buy a new Epiphone. I'm going with either the Mustang or if I can find something under (or just over) 1k I'll go with a Ric.

A Jaguar would be too heavy for him.
Quote by STABxYOU
I wish my parents came on here before they bought my first guitar. >.>

I wish my brother came here instead of Guitar Center before he bought my first amp >.> (Spider III)
Well since he's 7 he'd need a small guitar. I know I've seen small children's guitars on amazon i think for about $70. Then get him a Roland cube amp, that way if he quits, your only out about $160 at the most, but if he sticks to it you can just upgrade his guitar once he's older.

I think it depends on the type of music he's into as well though, if he's into more mellow kind of things then maybe just get a better acoustic for him, but if he's into, say Black Sabbath like my 6 year old cousin is, then get him an electric. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck and I hope your son is happy with what you get him.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The Mustang is a great guitar for someone's first electric. My cousin has a Fender 68' Sonic Duo(Which is basically a Mustang). I really love it. All his kids play it all the time and they really like it over his other guitars. Small neck and short scale, I think that's what turns them on to it without them really knowing haha. Plus it's super light, one of the lightest guitars I've ever held.

Amp wise I don't really think it matters to a 7 year old. Any kind of SS amp with a headphone input. You can get them for like under $150.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
when i was 7 i certainly wasn't mature enough to handle an expensive guitar without constant supervision - a mustang might be too upmarket for a kid - maybe a squier duo-sonic? then again, if you get something nice it'll be worth keeping for yourself if he doesn't stick with it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Buy yourself the mustang, get your boy a vintage modified squire strat. Then in about 5 years give him the mustang.
A seven year old with a cheap guitar and amp. What could be harder to learn on? Have you thought unplugged?
An old guitar lesson book I have suggests an archtop with a pickup to learn on. You start learning unplugged, and move up to an amp later.
Buy the best guitar you can afford, and don't worry about the amp right now. Put that amp money into the guitar.
I play at home using headphones through a POD xt by Line 6, and don't own an amp. But have a warehouse of amps and effects with the POD. Then I plug the POD into my home stereo system, an have more sound than my neighbors can handle.
For personal use look into the POD xt with headphones instead of an amp with headphones, you get more bang for the buck I think. I love the thing.
Quote by JacobTheMe
The mustang and a Roland Cube would be a good choice.

What kind of music does he like?

This. Cube 15X to be specific. At least you can save on the tuner and your son has effects to play with
but if he's into, say Black Sabbath like my 6 year old cousin is,

Why wasn't I this cool when I was 6? I only started getting into sabbath when I was ten.
My first guitar was washburn Mg-24 mercury series.It's fairly small I guess.Great to start on.They're not that easy to come by though.
Whatever you get him,string it up with some fairly light strings,like some 9's.And re-string it often.New strings are good way to encourage a learner,and the amount of learners that simply give up purely because their strings start sounding like crap...
Oh and let him be loud.Kids love loud.Everyone loves loud
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
IMO, get him a squier standard strat. it's simple enough for the age. and for an amp, get him a line 6 spider 15W. it will great for a kid of that age because he can have a blast with all the effects, and its nice and small which is what you're asking for.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by Ian hawkins
Why wasn't I this cool when I was 6? I only started getting into sabbath when I was ten.
My first guitar was washburn Mg-24 mercury series.It's fairly small I guess.Great to start on.They're not that easy to come by though.
Whatever you get him,string it up with some fairly light strings,like some 9's.And re-string it often.New strings are good way to encourage a learner,and the amount of learners that simply give up purely because their strings start sounding like crap...
Oh and let him be loud.Kids love loud.Everyone loves loud

It's because of his dad that he's into them, he has a good taste of music though, Foo fighters, Nirvana, I forget what else but for a 6 year old im pretty damn impressed
However I strongly agree with the statement I bolded in your post. I quit playing guitar when I was 10 because I didn't change the strings and it sounded like crap. Oh, and **** my teacher for being so damn ****ty as well
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Dude, you're the guy with the studio. Let him play one of yours. Don't buy him some cheap guitar. Just teach hime on your's.

Also, there is no "lower end" RIC.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Dude, you're the guy with the studio. Let him play one of yours. Don't buy him some cheap guitar. Just teach hime on your's.

Huh, you are right.
Like seriously you have like freaking 30 guitars and you are too stingy to give him one? Come on man, seriously.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
I would say get him a made in mexico fender strat because its affordable, it has a thin neck for smaller hands, its very versatile, and it will last a lifetime if taken care of.
When its time to upgrade get better pickups.
Quote by That_Hot_Guy
Huh, you are right.
Like seriously you have like freaking 30 guitars and you are too stingy to give him one? Come on man, seriously.

No, my son plays on my stuff - I just want to get him his own guitar because he is asking for one.

I played on my dad's guitar until I was about 11 and then he bought me a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

My son is interested in guitar playing. I want to encourage him and also get him something that he likes and can call his own.

Let's face it, it's fun to go get a new guitar when you're a kid.
you apparently own all that gear in your studio and your asking us what to buy for your 7 year old if you own all that gear you obviously know how to select a guitar and amp and what is available on the market either that or your claim to all that gear is BS and you have no claim to any gear in that studio.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you apparently own all that gear in your studio and your asking us what to buy for your 7 year old if you own all that gear you obviously know how to select a guitar and amp and what is available on the market either that or your claim to all that gear is BS and you have no claim to any gear in that studio.

i think he's already proved he has all that gear, under a different username. i still think carl drew is a multi, and he seems to reveal another clue with every post somehow.

i think a squier duo-sonic will be a good guitar for a 7 year old though - short scale, decent quality but affordable, i think the amount of money you have to pay for a mustang is a bit too much for a 7 year old kid; kids, no matter how careful they are, always manage to break things - although you are a gear snob are you not, carl, so you will probably turn your nose up at a chinese guitar no matter how decent it might be, won't you? (and how on earth would i know that!)
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by carl drew
No, my son plays on my stuff - I just want to get him his own guitar because he is asking for one.

I played on my dad's guitar until I was about 11 and then he bought me a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

My son is interested in guitar playing. I want to encourage him and also get him something that he likes and can call his own.

Let's face it, it's fun to go get a new guitar when you're a kid.

I guess so then, but then shouldnt you already have enough knowledge with all those guitars you have to select one by yourself? That's what i do not get.
Quote by travs2448

How many of you are vegan?
Hopefully none

Does anyone know any fun recipes?
Yeah a big juicy flank steak

What can be done with tofu?
Nothing it taste like crap

Is there such thing as vegan meat? Vegan sausages ect
WTF ARE YOU ON?
Quote by Blompcube
i think he's already proved he has all that gear, under a different username. i still think carl drew is a multi, and he seems to reveal another clue with every post somehow.

i think a squier duo-sonic will be a good guitar for a 7 year old though - short scale, decent quality but affordable, i think the amount of money you have to pay for a mustang is a bit too much for a 7 year old kid; kids, no matter how careful they are, always manage to break things - although you are a gear snob are you not, carl, so you will probably turn your nose up at a chinese guitar no matter how decent it might be, won't you? (and how on earth would i know that!)

I'm going to go with this suggestion as well. The Squier Duo Sonic is cheap enough to not watch like a hawk and a good guitar. Seriously put aside that bias, it's a nice guitar just give it a chance
MIM Fender Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
hey dont worry bout the scale go get him an epiphone les paul special ii works for all sizes
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112