So UG,

Got a little question here. I was looking for something to buy with my birthday money and was in desperate need of better effects than the ones found in my AD50VT (and maybe better control on them aswell).

I looked into Multi-effect pedals.

I mainly need one for the purpose of live gigs and some recording purposes. I was thinking of something like the G2.1U...

If any of you have any experiences with it or something better, anything is appreciated.

My max $200.

P.s. what's the purpose of the expression pedal besides for wah?
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
The expression pedal is used to control loads of things.

I have the zoom and whilst I can't comment on sound quality due to the fact that I used it with a digital amp I would say that whilst it is good for a cheaper multi-fx it isn't the best and also there is no option to turn effects on and off whilst playing, you can only change the patch, so if you have a song with lots of effects coming on and off, you will have to create many simillar patches and that wastes space.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
so... if you have delay on... to turn it off you have to choose a different effect?

and patches?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

If you are playing and want to turn on an effect like delay then you will have needed to make an idential patch but with delay on it.

A patch is basically a saved version of all your settings. For example I could create a patch for a song and then save it. I think there is a max of 40 patches.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
so sorta like a switchable channel? or no?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Basically a patch is a saved memory of effects. So what you do is, you fiddle around, choose which effects are on, what settings they are on and then save it.

There are patches already on it but you can save over or edit them.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
I guess that's what the two silver button stomp-box like things are for right?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Yep, tehy are used for moving forward or backwards through the patches.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
okay cool... I thought they were the two channels you can save on and can only choose between the two of them. lol thanks a lot man.
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

You are very welcome.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
I had a G2.1u, really bad sounding pedal. Good for a beginner who's just starting out, but after you get an ear for tone, it becomes a paper weight.

Search your local Craigslist for a used Line 6 POD xt. You'll thank me later
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just as a sidenote, you can actually turn effects off/on while playing, just set the expression pedal to control that effect and then press all the way down. It'll turn the effect off (there's a button that registers the push, you might have to push pretty hard).

Since it's done using the expression pedal it's not very user friendly. I'd recommend you get something else.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Just as a sidenote, you can actually turn effects off/on while playing, just set the expression pedal to control that effect and then press all the way down. It'll turn the effect off (there's a button that registers the push, you might have to push pretty hard).

Since it's done using the expression pedal it's not very user friendly. I'd recommend you get something else.

Never new that but even then you can only change one effect which isn't really useful.

Also I found volume issues when changing patches. I.e the volume increasing loads when changing from a clean patch to an overdriven one.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Demitrev, you can adjust that using the level knob when set to 'play' mode.

Overall i agree with Matrixclaw, it is a good beginners pedal, but stay away from it if you have an ear for tone or have previous pedal experience. The distortion really does suck imo, and i found it very hard to get a sound that i liked when i got it. A POD X3/XT live would better suit you - greater ease of changing through patches, dedicated switches to turn on and off effects, and overall much more useable and manageable in live situations. Although, using it with your modelling amp kind of defeats the purpose, if you don't mind me saying .
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
What about the other smaller live POD versions? Are they as good as the x3 and xt?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

To be honest, i would only get an X3 or XT because it is so accesable to switch between patches and turn effects on and off. Furthermore i believe that there is more in-depth editing that can be done, although i don't own one so i stand corrected if that is not true. The smaller pod's aren't as accesable, but i would guess that they are of a similar sound quality, although some sounds could have been updated for the XT/X3.

But as i say i would definately go for the X3/XT live. Go try one if you can.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
Do you know if the non-live version of the PODs have some way to easily switch between the patches?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Take a look at the line 6 website. It has a lot of useful info there.

The floorboard versions of the X3 and XT have all the control right at your feet. The pocket POD's and the Desktop POD's (as they call them on their site) require the additional floorboard (FBV series) to control the effects and model switching. So in short buying the smaller pod requires you to buy the FBV floorboard in order to use it live, so you end up paying more money for that than the all-in-one floorboard versions called the X3 live and XT live.
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic