Hey, so obviously I'm asking about tone here. Now, I've seen countless people say "wow, that's a horrible tone" or "needs more mids" on guitarists, but when I hear those, I don't hear anything drastically wrong. The only time I've personally heard bad tone is for this local Christian band (Atonia?) and their vocalist/guitarist didn't have any treble at all for his distortion.

Now, how can I make sure I have good tone? I'm using a Marshall MG15CDR amp with a Boss OS-2 OD/Dist pedal, if that matters. Is it creating a good balance between lows and highs? What's the secret here?
It can't really be explained. It takes practice and experience. Sort of like telling game graphics is horrible or not, but it's a little harder to tell.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Don't worry too much about the opinons of other people If you think is good/your band thinks it's good, roll with it. If a smaller audience responds well to your sound, then it's good to go.

Think about it this way. I've heard people talk about how 'bad' Claptons and Frusciantes and Mayers tone is, yet look at the music they're maiing? People enjoy them and they're at the hiehgt of their carrers.
Well, it's different to individual people for the most part. It can be getting whatever is the cleanest, brightest, heaviest... It's a very broad and dynamic term that changes on context and by individuals.
Essentially... It's what sounds "good" to you. Hope I helped, man.
\m/
well, good tone involves not having an MG....

but seriously, good tone is subjective. some people love Eric Johnson's tone, while other people think Dimebag is the Holy Grail of metal tone, while some people think Randy Rhoads' tone was too trebley and some people think slash's tone is too warm.

when it comes to guitar, everyone's a critic and no one's an authority.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by GuerillaGorilla
Hey, so obviously I'm asking about tone here. Now, I've seen countless people say "wow, that's a horrible tone" or "needs more mids" on guitarists, but when I hear those, I don't hear anything drastically wrong. The only time I've personally heard bad tone is for this local Christian band (Atonia?) and their vocalist/guitarist didn't have any treble at all for his distortion.

Now, how can I make sure I have good tone? I'm using a Marshall MG15CDR amp with a Boss OS-2 OD/Dist pedal, if that matters. Is it creating a good balance between lows and highs? What's the secret here?

Tone is in the ear of the beholder. What works for some, won't work for others. Just listen to a lot of different guitar sounds and decide for yourself which you like and which you don't.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by kerokero
Don't worry too much about the opinons of other people If you think is good/your band thinks it's good, roll with it. If a smaller audience responds well to your sound, then it's good to go.

Think about it this way. I've heard people talk about how 'bad' Claptons and Frusciantes and Mayers tone is, yet look at the music they're maiing? People enjoy them and they're at the hiehgt of their carrers.

Mayers tone, Bad?!? *dies*

Anyway, tone is all opinions, if you think something sounds good, in your opinion, you have good tone.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
You know you have good tone when your tone doesn't sound like shit.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not