So, aside from the obvious "womg, Squiers suck!!! MIM!?!?!?" I want to pick from one of these two guitars:

A Squier Hot Rails Stratocaster and MIM Stratocaster.

One cost $310, the other 200 dollars more. To me the only real difference I care about is the quality of the pickups. I don't care for headstock.

I've never played through a Duncan-Designed before, but I'm assuming they're on par, or at least offer something quite different in contrast to regular Squier Pickups. Then again, if the MIM is vastly superior to the Squier, I might as well get the Tacocaster.

Anyone care to help me out?
Haha, Tacocaster

Having played a high-end Squier and a MIM Strat, i'd personally go for the MIM. The tonal difference isn't that big, but the MiM definitely felt a lot nicer and generally played smoother. A proper set up could probably could have brought the Squier further up to par though, so it depends.

I always say though that you should try out both if you can, there may be something about how one sounds or feels that really changes your mind towards one guitar or the other.

edit: so to answer your question, at least from my personal experience the MIM isn't "vastly superior" but i'd say worth the extra cash overall. IMO anyway.
Last edited by pete-c at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by kerokero
So, aside from the obvious "womg, Squiers suck!!! MIM!?!?!?" I want to pick from one of these two guitars:

A Squier Hot Rails Stratocaster and MIM Stratocaster.

One cost $310, the other 200 dollars more. To me the only real difference I care about is the quality of the pickups. I don't care for headstock.

I've never played through a Duncan-Designed before, but I'm assuming they're on par, or at least offer something quite different in contrast to regular Squier Pickups. Then again, if the MIM is vastly superior to the Squier, I might as well get the Tacocaster.

Anyone care to help me out?

Well, ive been an avid Squier user for the past 2 years, and im gonna be honest, the MIM is far superior, the only grievance i had was the action wasnt what i was looking for. a quick lowering and BAM! Instant greatness. Its a wonderful guitar, sir. Also, i got a Humbucker built into the bridge position. look into that. youll get screaming tone
So far, pete is the only person who has given me any useful advice.

Thank you Pete. You're proper. (y)

And Demondown666...XD....thanks for trying, see you again next time?