So I really want to get an 8 input recording interface, and right now I have a 2 input one which works just fine with my laptop which is a 2009 Macbook standard. But I'll need firewire to use an 8 input interface. My laptop however only has 2 usb inputs, a power input, a monitor, an ether net input and the standard line in line out plugs.

Is there a way I can add a firewire card to my computer or am I just screwed?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
All Macbook models have either a Firewire 400 or Firewire 800. If you have only an 800 but need a 400 they make a breakout cable for that. I am not sure if they make one for the reverse though
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
I am looking at apple's website right now and the standard white macbook has a firewire 400 port, and the macbook pro's all have a firewire 800 port.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
i got a new macbook recently, and am using the firewire input right now...

a brief look on apple.com showed all macbooks and macbook pros have firewire...
hmph. okay. I'll look for mine again, maybe I mistook it for something. My old mac definitely had it. But I didn't see it on this one. Thanks

EDIT

I just looked at the site and my macbook, I promise you it doens't have firewire. Mine has a mini display port, 2 usb, ethernet, audio in and out and power.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Aug 22, 2009,
Sorry to repost but I don't want to edit that one again.

CAN I add some sort of firewire to my computer since it DOESN'T have it?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
whats the thing about the firewire port ...400 or 800 i was gonna ge the macbook pro 2.6gh 4gig ram but they only have s800 firewire and on he presonus website they stryckly recomend to use s400 whats the deal

they say there could be an audio probem so they say to use a s400 connection only
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Sorry to repost but I don't want to edit that one again.

CAN I add some sort of firewire to my computer since it DOESN'T have it?

Does it have an expresscard slot ?? if so then you can get a firewire express card to use with it.

to clarify, in early 2009, Apple dropped firewire from all but the most expensive macbooks. shortly after they re-introduced it because of massive consumer backlash. looks like you were unlucky enough to buy while firewire was absent from the product line.
Quote by TheDriller
Does it have an expresscard slot ?? if so then you can get a firewire express card to use with it.

to clarify, in early 2009, Apple dropped firewire from all but the most expensive macbooks. shortly after they re-introduced it because of massive consumer backlash. looks like you were unlucky enough to buy while firewire was absent from the product line.

Yeah I actually just found that out about 5 mins ago. I got mine in like, june. I don't have an expresscard slot either. That's what I thought about doing, but I realized I didn't have it.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712