Okay, I was just thinking...how does it work when a record company likes your demo and wants to record you but....OH NO! you live in Ohio and the company is all the way in California. ****, what do I do now?

Seriously, how would you go about recording with this label? Would they just pay for you to get out there or what actually happens in this case? I'm sure that bands contact labels out of state all the time.
Live with family or friends that live in CA or live in a cheap apartment while you are recording your album.
May I ask what label?
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Find out if they are legit, talk to people, get your management on that, you dont want some phony company to drag you out to LA
I'm assuming this is hypothetical as opposed to you actually in the midst of getting a deal that might require this.

If you're a newly signed band and a relatively unknown commodity, you have no negotiating power. The label will tell you where to record and who to record with. How you work that out is up to you. Most bands, by this stage of their careers have already moved to a music-centric market. You *might* be able to use part of your recording budget for relocation, but that's a long shot. You're a nobody. If you don't like it, then there are 10 000 other bands who would gladly do anything to have the opportunity to make that choice and do so on their own nickel.

If you're Oasis or Linkin Park or Foo Fighters, you tell the label where you want to record and who you want to record with, pending availability. They'll probably agree to it because they know they'll make it back with a great product. Tell them you want to build a studio in Ohio, and you want to fly Bob Rock in from the West coast and have fancy catering three times a day. You're in the driver's seat. You have the negotiating power, because they can bet that if they lose you to another label, that would represent a huge loss for them as a company.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by GivingUp
Okay, I was just thinking...how does it work when a record company likes your demo and wants to record you but....OH NO! you live in Ohio and the company is all the way in California. ****, what do I do now?

Seriously, how would you go about recording with this label? Would they just pay for you to get out there or what actually happens in this case? I'm sure that bands contact labels out of state all the time.

You could always ask them?

And I definitely would research the company and talk to a lawyer before making any decisions.
shred is gaudy music
If you were serious about being signed by a label, where you live would not be important - you'd just go out to Cali or where ever. They wouldn't pay for you to come out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Fame requires sacrafice.

I'm gonna use my best (and probably only) example of a similar situation : Metallica.
They had to move to SF for Cliff, and they took off so much faster. Then they had to go to Jersey and New York, where they recorded Kill 'Em All.

Goes to Show, dedication pays off.

Metalli-Edit: Plus, Cali is awesome!
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht