Page 1 of 2
I work at Panera Bread. As far as minimum wage, entry level jobs in the food industry go, it's a keeper. However, it's still subject to the worst part about low end work: cut hours.

I make paninis, which means I go in early and make about 100 sandwiches that are for the whole day. I usually do 8 to 1, Monday through Friday. Give or take a few hours and it usually figures out to between 20 to 25 hours a week.

I'm moving out next Tuesday. VERY manageable rent, good roommates and we all know the owner. I'm budgeted well and as long as my hours don't drop to like 15 a week, I'm good. But that may happen.

So my question is, what's a good way to add some consistency to my income? Taking on a second job seems to be the easy answer, but unfortunately I'm pretty busy with stuff every night (namely playing music).

TL;DR - I work a minimum wage job, I'm moving out, and I want to know how to supplement my income (even if only with 100 extra bucks a month). and I can't really take on a second job because I don't have the time.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I work at Panera Bread. As far as minimum wage, entry level jobs in the food industry go, it's a keeper. However, it's still subject to the worst part about low end work: cut hours.

I make paninis, which means I go in early and make about 100 sandwiches that are for the whole day. I usually do 8 to 1, Monday through Friday. Give or take a few hours and it usually figures out to between 20 to 25 hours a week.

I'm moving out next Tuesday. VERY manageable rent, good roommates and we all know the owner. I'm budgeted well and as long as my hours don't drop to like 15 a week, I'm good. But that may happen.

So my question is, what's a good way to add some consistency to my income? Taking on a second job seems to be the easy answer, but unfortunately I'm pretty busy with stuff every night (namely playing music).

TL;DR - I work a minimum wage job, I'm moving out, and I want to know how to supplement my income (even if only with 100 extra bucks a month). and I can't really take on a second job because I don't have the time.

Do they sell bread?

Or do they sell like couches and stuff. Cause some places have misleading names.

Subway doesn't sell trains.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by thanksgiving
Do they sell bread?

Or do they sell like couches and stuff. Cause some places have misleading names.

I first read that as Pantera Bread.
Quote by huevomax

Same

TS, do you know if the owner/landlord needs some help with anything?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Welcome to real life...
Your only options are to get a better paying job, or another job to supplement your income.

Good luck though... hope it all works out for you.
As much as I love music, I would not let it get in the way of my financial well-being. I'm sorry, but to say that you don't have time for work because you are screwing around on guitar is just plain stupid. If you are worried about making enough money, you need to make sacrifices.
Why not play for tips somewhere like a train station or something? Or play shows live acoustic... This way you can play music, and make a few bucks on the side. (But beware, you might be forced to start looking at music like a job, which could theoretically ruin it... Just be careful).
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Quote by Kensai

Like orgasms and such.
Quote by huevomax

I just read that closed thread about Pantera on Rock Band then I read this as Pantera bread too

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by Kensai
Same

things like favours? If you know what I mean. yeah..
Utah's Token Black Guy
Last edited by codyadamscea at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
Do a full-time job. Works perfectly well for most people.

I'm looking, trust me. I have a good possibility of getting a full time job at a college because my ex-cop uncle is doing security there. But I'm going to plan for the worst and hope for the best, ya know?

And I'm sure the landlord probably does have something I could do. I haven't thought of that.
We're only strays.
Unless you're making money playing the music, you're going to need a second job. You're working 20-25 hours a week. Say with the second job you work the same amount of time per week. Given the maximum amount of hours per week for each job (which I assume you wouldn't be working in any case), it'd be 50 hours a week. A third of your time each week spent on sleeping gives you 62 hours of free time (which is more than likely going to be less).

Seriously, it just sounds like you need better time management. If you're spending most of your free time playing music and not earning from it you need to reconsider what the fuck you're doing, especially considering that you're going to be paying to have a roof over your head.

Quote by thanksgiving
Do they sell bread?

It's named after the type of sandwich it is, which is a subway sandwich. So, yeah, not quite unrelated.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Aug 22, 2009,
Mow lawns, rake leaves, and shovel snow. You can easily make an extra few hundred a month by doing simple yardwork for people. The first month or so will seem a lot harder since half of your work will be going door to door, but after you get some regulars you'll be set.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget to start some savings. Trust me, when you're living alone, **** happens. Things break, you get sick, etc. You're going to need a cushion of a few hundred, so start preparing for it now.
Last edited by maroon5mustdie at Aug 22, 2009,
You play music at night? Play with some little kids. An hour a night is an extra $30 a day in your pocket. Go to a local music store, stick a print-out with your number on their bulletin board, ask some friends who may have kids, etc.
Quote by CrossBack7
Play with some little kids.

play with children....yeah
Utah's Token Black Guy
Quote by CrossBack7
You play music at night? Play with some little kids. An hour a night is an extra $30 a day in your pocket. Go to a local music store, stick a print-out with your number on their bulletin board, ask some friends who may have kids, etc.

He makes a valid point.

Technically jail is free... so you wont have to worry about money
Sell drugs
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony w/ gold hardware)
  • Mesa Triple Rectifier Head
  • Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Traditional Cab
  • Too many pedals to list...

Quote by CrossBack7

they pay you to do that?
play gigs.

Some guys I know are in a generic HxC band and they make like $600 a show at churches and stuff, and they aren't even in grade 12 yet.

So if you spend so much time with music, get in a band and play shows?
financial security isn't very good at minimum wage, and you're basically relying on panera bread to make sure you don't receive less than 15 hours.

make sure you talk to your manager. maybe he can give you a raise or try to get you to go full-time, which means much more money and benefits, such as paid vacation time. you can also just try looking for another job that pays more money per hour. the food industry never pays too high for lower-level employees.

if you want to deal with people's ****, i'd suggest going retail. some stores offer commission, some do not. it's totally up to you on which you think is better. if you get paid a steady rate and you make commission, it won't be bad.
Sent from my iPad.
Find a local paintball field and get a job as a referee, its usually only on either Saturday or Sunday each week, fairly long hours-usually around 8-9am to 3-5pm, usually it's around minimum wage (around $50-75) for the day, but you are getting paid to generally just sit around and watch people shoot at eachother (especially if it's a rather laid back paintball field when your more babysitting then actually reffing). Really good if you have any at all interest in paintball.
Check out my hard rock band!! Lying Awake!!
Facebook
Soundcloud
UG
Thank You!

Gear:
Epiphone 1998 Les Paul Custom
Boss GT-10 Multi-effects
Peavey 6505+ 112 60W Combo w/ Celestion G12-K100
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Education is the key to success.

Clickable ^

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yard work always needs done. summer cut the grass, fall rack leafs, winter shovel snow, spring....?i guess there isn't any yard work in the spring but yeah yard work can always be done if you need money.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
best bet is to start looking for another job. your problem is that your only qualified to be a coldside cook or a prep cook, which narrows your options. if i were you, i'd learn how to cook steak, tuna, and burgers to temp. i did that **** when i was 17 and now i got a pretty decent job.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
You should make some money on the side. Beyond your jobs pay - maybe sell some drugs or at least gamble.
Teach guitar, sells drugs, find another job and work 10 hours a week there...
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
i work at panera too! but i do cashier - none of that sandwich ****
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (Our own, not each others)

Quote by Union Jake
How am i gay? I was jerking it to the women, and i didn't look at my roomates things.
donate plasma
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Page 1 of 2