Not sure if this is the right section. Sorry.

But the action on my Squier strat is far to high, i dont know the measurement but on the higher frets (10+) the strings are far to high.
Ive tried tightening the springs at the back, it had little effect.

What should i be doing to fix this?
Should i buy another spring? ( i currently have 2) and if so, where do i get them?

Thanks in advance there lads
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
The spring tension in the back shouldn't have much effect with a vintage style tremolo. More than likely you need to adjust the truss rod. Google info about this, its pretty simple all you need is an allen wrench. You can also adjust the height on the saddles via small screws.
Anyone saying it's the truss rod should be slapped. You don't adjust the truss rod to correct the action of the guitar, at least not until you've gone through every other possibility or there is visibly a flaw with the neck. The truss rod should be simply set to match the tension of the strings, it's not something you start fiddling about with just to drop the string height an extra millimetre.

Firstly OP, what's the actual height of the top of the fretwire to the bottom of the low E string at the 12th fret? A lot of the time when people are complaining about 'high' action it will turn out they simply have a skewd idea of what 'high' action actually is.
Secondly, if your guitar's bridge set level to the body of the guitar? Are the saddles of the bridge as high as they can go, as low as they can go or in the middle? Is your guitar's nut worn down? Is the neck of the guitar visibly very, very curved inwards? Until we know these things, nobody can give you any worthwhile advice.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Anyone saying it's the truss rod should be slapped. You don't adjust the truss rod to correct the action of the guitar, at least not until you've gone through every other possibility or there is visibly a flaw with the neck. The truss rod should be simply set to match the tension of the strings, it's not something you start fiddling about with just to drop the string height an extra millimetre.

Firstly OP, what's the actual height of the top of the fretwire to the bottom of the low E string at the 12th fret? A lot of the time when people are complaining about 'high' action it will turn out they simply have a skewd idea of what 'high' action actually is.
Secondly, if your guitar's bridge set level to the body of the guitar? Are the saddles of the bridge as high as they can go, as low as they can go or in the middle? Is your guitar's nut worn down? Is the neck of the guitar visibly very, very curved inwards? Until we know these things, nobody can give you any worthwhile advice.

Ah right. Just noticed earlier after fiddling around for ages that the bridge is being pulled up as i tune the strings up. The neck on the guitar's fine. Its the bridge thats the problem.
At the minute at the 12th fret the strings are about 3/4 an inch off the fretwire.
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
If the bridge is being pulled upwards as you're tuning, that means the spring tension in the back of the bridge isn't strong enough. The spring and string tension should be equal so that the base plate of the bridge is parallel to the top of the guitar - or, for better tuning stability, the springs should be slightly stronger than the string tension.

Get that sorted, then lower the bridge saddles to taste.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If the bridge is being pulled upwards as you're tuning, that means the spring tension in the back of the bridge isn't strong enough. The spring and string tension should be equal so that the base plate of the bridge is parallel to the top of the guitar - or, for better tuning stability, the springs should be slightly stronger than the string tension.

Get that sorted, then lower the bridge saddles to taste.

I have the springs back as far as they go. Still no luck.
Should i add another spring?
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
yes, at least one other.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011