Page 1 of 2
Jx210
454 IQ
Fan boys keep it in your pants, trust me this isn't a trolling hate thread. I've just noticed lately that it seems like many of the most popular hardcore punk bands around the early 80's have only one or two good albums. This isn't just what I'm saying, a lot of you here have said the same thing. Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, Descendents (probably be the only one but Milo is the only album I actually like).. It seems like theirs always the 'Classic Album' that everyone loves, then fans either don't like their follow-ups or the bands just alter their sound dramatically(*cough*metal craze*cough*). Like I said, I dig most of the bands that don't seem to be hated around here I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the pattern.
Last edited by Jx210 at Aug 22, 2009,
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
A lot of them were relatively short-lived, so they don't have a bunch of classics like Led Zeppelin and stuff.

Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys both have a few albums that get a lot of respect, though.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
I like every Black Flag album and every Descendents album. Descendents are debatable, but I'd say that Black Flag truly got better with every album.
And... 4 bands does not equal "most hardcore punk bands."
Jx210
454 IQ
Quote by werty22
A lot of them were relatively short-lived, so they don't have a bunch of classics like Led Zeppelin and stuff.

Yeah, that's true.

Quote by charliezard!
I like every Black Flag album and every Descendents album. Descendents are debatable, but I'd say that Black Flag truly got better with every album.

Like I said, most. I could be wrong, but around here, and a few other punk forums I've checked out, but it seems like a lot of people have said that after Damaged most of Black Flag's **** took a sharp turn. I'm not taking sides because I don't listen to them enough to really care, I'm just stating an opinion that's been made before quite a bit. It's not a personal attack on the band.

About the Descendents, I imagined I'd be in the minority on that. Again though, it doesn't matter because despite my dislike of the rest of their discography, I like Milo enough to consider them one of my favorite bands.

Quote by charliezard!

And... 4 bands does not equal "most hardcore punk bands."

No ****. I felt that the intelligence of this board was high enough that I didn't have to list every single band that fit that catagory because the majority of the readers would understand it, and accept that they were meant to be an example.
Last edited by Jx210 at Aug 22, 2009,
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned
338 IQ
Most bands of any style suck, because most everything sucks.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by Jx210
Yeah, that's true.
No ****. I felt that the intelligence of this board was high enough that I didn't have to list every single band that fit that catagory because the majority of the readers would understand it, and accept that they were meant to be an example.

The point was that I can't think of many other hardcore bands that fit your description. Most other hardcore bands don't really apply since the majority of them only put out 1 to 3 records.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
Hardcore punk is like the N64.

It produced some good stuff. Just not a lot of good stuff.

So everyone has the same list of favorites.

PS1 was better.
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
that's kinda why hardcore is meant to be listened to on 7". LP's just aren't a good format for punk/hc.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
DollSteak
UG's Verdenauta
17 IQ
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Hardcore punk is like the N64.

It produced some good stuff. Just not a lot of good stuff.

So everyone has the same list of favorites.

PS1 was better.

You couldn't say it better.
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
oh yeah and with the N64 metaphor... even the **** that the n64 made was pretty awesome. THE LEGEND OF THE MYSTICAL NINJA STARING GEOMON... ok, not look at as an amazing game but still thoroughly awesome... kicks the **** outta CRASH BANDICOOT.

Granted ROCKET: ROBOT WITH WHEELS was utter **** though.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I used to remember N64 as something amazing, but a month or two ago my friend and I broke out all his old games and we were really disappointed. They didn't age well.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
Quote by whyvern
oh yeah and with the N64 metaphor... even the **** that the n64 made was pretty awesome. THE LEGEND OF THE MYSTICAL NINJA STARING GEOMON... ok, not look at as an amazing game but still thoroughly awesome... kicks the **** outta CRASH BANDICOOT.

Granted ROCKET: ROBOT WITH WHEELS was utter **** though.

Mystical Ninja was the shit.

so on that.

But Playstation's library kicks the crap outta the N64's blocky, proverbial face with a big steel toed boot on the grounds of third party support alone.

Plus I was an RPG nerd in those days. And the N64 was awful for that genre.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by element4433
I used to remember N64 as something amazing, but a month or two ago my friend and I broke out all his old games and we were really disappointed. They didn't age well.

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie, Castlevania, Mario Kart, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron still provide me with tons more entertainment than the average 360 or Wii game.
Jx210
454 IQ
Hey You Pikachu was almost a bigger waste of money than the Clash album I didn't download..
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
Quote by RockThe40oz
This thread is now about n64.

Goldeneye is an awful game now. It was great when it came out, but I don't understand why people still want to play it all the time.

I played Goldeneye with friends a bit last weekend and it's so unintuitive now just based on the one stick moving/aiming system.

I kept reaching for a second stick to aim up and down.

And I couldn't eve use Oddjob cuz he wasn't unlocked
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Quote by charliezard!
Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie, Castlevania, Mario Kart, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron still provide me with tons more entertainment than the average 360 or Wii game.
We played Super Smash Bros, Mario Cart, Star Wars Pod Racer, and a few more that I can't remember. I was most disappointed by Pod Racer, because that was my favorite game as a kid.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
Yeah Pod Racer is no good now.

But I only really had experience with the super cool arcade game that was shaped like, you know, a pod.

Fuck do you guys remember arcades?!

They produced some great Birthday parties.
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
Quote by RockThe40oz
Not to mention Gamecube and Wii versions of Smash Bros are way better in every regard.

My beef with Wii Smash is that Jigglypuff's down + B move is significantly weakened.

In Melee hitting that move with Jiggly could kill people at 0%

It was the only hope I had of killing my much better friends.

I would hide in a corner of the map and then when I saw an opening, I would float adorably (cuz everything Jigglypuff does is adorable) over my victim and reign hell down upon them.

One of my best friends would get so mad that he would want to physically fight me over it. Which only made me want to do it more.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
I also miss arcades. Do they exist anymore? My town just got a "video game lounge." Apparently there's just a bunch of Xbox's and PS3's set up with some couches and ****. So it's basically my friend's upstairs except I don't have to pay there.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

charliezard!
1,337 IQ
There are still a few pretty cheap arcades around here. I used to go all the time.
I got the high score in Pac Man at one of them. Number ****ing 1.

Damn, I want to go to an arcade now.
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
My college has a cafe with 360s and PS3s so people can play people and presumably start friendships?! I dunno.

It's one thing to play on the nets, where you can talk **** to random strangers w/o fear of repercussions but when you play a stranger in person I have found the only thing you get is awkward silence.

But yeah our last arcade closed a few years back. Along with the AWESOME new york pizza shop next to it. Now the most I can hope for is some games in a laundromat or something.

Though if you go to a town with a beach boardwalk you'll find that the number of arcades significantly increases.
RockThe40oz
Sucker-Punched By Christ
1,233 IQ
I just found a Dave and Busters style arcade.. 70 games, laser tag, mini-bowling, rock climbing tower, 2-story ball maze (?), bumper cars... and most importantly... A BAR!

Apparently the food is terrible, but who cares? I'm trying to get some coworkers to go with me tonight.
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
LAZER TAG!!!!

Another birthday staple.

I always took it so seriously. And would make fun of kids with asthma who couldn't play cuz of the smoke/dry ice they would use for atmosphere.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Last time I went to play Laser Tag some kid followed me around the whole time and kept shooting me. He also hit me in the face with his gun.
Mack56
mackabre
1,078 IQ
the only N64 game i really loved was Pokemon Stadium. twas super fun.
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
Whenever I played pokemon stadium the person who got to attack first always won.

So I was never into it.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
We've been getting so off topic in all these threads.

The original topic was lame.
BR0KENHEARTED
Banned
1,074 IQ
I agree.

I started my new job today. Stoked.

Gonna hit up a buddies barbeque in a little bit.

Got work tomorrow.

I did just eat and am pretty full right now. Tacos in you must know.

And N64 was amazing. I do miss having mass people over for Wrestlemanai 2000 parties. But Smackdown parties were classic too.
Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
ha.

I've watched Wrestlemania x8 today and I'm on the last match of XIX now.

I can't wait for Lesnar's shooting star press.

I love playing WCW/NWO Revenge on N64. I always use Glacier.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
**** maybe I'll play laser tag for my birthday.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Iluvpowerchords
1,364 IQ
I had the home lazer tag thing.

I forget what it was called. You strapped something to yer front (and back if you had enough of 'em) and aimed a lazer at that thing. I don't think it worked that well either. Especially cuz usually there was nothing on yer opponents back so sneak attacks couldn't be done...

And you could cover yer stomach and stuff.

But it was still better than paintball cuz you didn't have to drive to the middle of nowhere to play it.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Yeah I had that too. My friend had a robot that would shot at you and you had to shot it. That was fun for rainy day laser tag matches.

Actually thinking about it, most of our laser tagging happened in the house.

I played paintball in the woods across the street from my house.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

SKAtastic7770
828 IQ
Converge gets better with every album it seems. But they do drastically change their sound.

And just a quick question to the punk forum real quick, we are allowed to discuss hardcore bands here right? Because I dont wanna deal with a board full of metalcore fans talking about how awesome Bullet For My Valentine is in order to discuss Gorilla Biscuits.

Edit: Sorry missed the N64 thing, I dont read threads. Iggy's Reckin Balls was a great game for it and Starfox 64 will always be one of my favorite games ever. Along with OoT.
Last edited by SKAtastic7770 at Aug 22, 2009,