Page 1 of 2
Hey
im using a peavey ultra plus head and it has an epic crunch and lead channel but the clean is just so weak and empty
i used to use a mesa v twin rack preamp as my clean tone but since selling that im stuck with the peaveys
does anyone know any good ways to warm it up a bit? like a pedal or something which is designed to make clean tone fuller and warmer????
cheers!
chris
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
Dunno if it'll help but my very cheap delay pedal makes my clean tone insanely warmer.
neck pickup, lower the tone, mess around with an eq and maybe a chorus pedal, and reverb to taste.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Like a few people already said, get an EQ pedal. The MXR 10 band one is amazing. And also pick up a reverb pedal. That always make my cleans very warm and full. Try the electro harmonix reverb plus, it is also amazing.
Last edited by macfreak1 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by silversoulcage
Buy a Gibson.

id prefer aids...

PRS!!!!!!!! !

come say Hi!
compressors, reverb, coil taps, chorus, lower volume on guitar.....
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by macfreak1
Like a few people already said, get an EQ pedal. The MXR 10 band one is amazing. And also pick up a reverb pedal. That always make my cleans very warm and full. Try the electro harmonix reverb plus, it is also amazing.

sweet man ill look into a decent verb pedal as i dont actually think my peaveys works lol

come say Hi!
Buy an amp with good cleans?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Buy an amp with good cleans?

i considered getting a 2nd head for clean work but dont fancy having to get a PHD in electronics and having a massive work out everytime i set up my rig for a gig
im not tremonti yet with his like 8 amp heads lol

come say Hi!
An EQ would be a good option, as well as a Reverb pedal and maybe a delay. I would definitely get a Reverb pedal if the amp doesn't have a built in one.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
BBE Sonic Maximizer? It'll make it a bit fuller.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Buy a Hiwatt. Or Roland Jazz Chorus of some sort.

Also, low output pickups.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Ooooh, didn't know you could do it with just one cab.

still not hot on the idea of having to lug about 2 heads with me... would prefer to just make my current clean nicer

come say Hi!
Quote by ChrisRuffell
still not hot on the idea of having to lug about 2 heads with me... would prefer to just make my current clean nicer

sell the peavey too and buy a new amp altogether?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I find the best way to get good cleans is to dial nice full bodied sounds with the volume up a ways, just to the point of break up or a little more and then roll off on the guitar volume. Haven't used this amp so I don't know if it would work for you or not but its worth a try. The down fall of mny amps is that they do great cleans or great distortion but not both.
Quote by timzee117
sell the peavey too and buy a new amp altogether?

but i love my peavey he is a loyal friend! it would be like selling my dog to get a prettier one

come say Hi!
Quote by macfreak1

do u think the 6 band mxr eq would be enough?? or am i better off spending the extra pennys on a 10 band one???

come say Hi!
An EQ will not make your cleans any better, it will just EQ your crappy cleans. Don't bother.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
An EQ will not make your cleans any better, it will just EQ your crappy cleans. Don't bother.

so do you have any suggestions for how to make my clean better???

come say Hi!
6 Band is enough. The bottom 2 and the highest bands are practically useless for guitar on the 10.

EDIT: But like Dr Pain said, it won't help much. The only advice I can offer is to look for an amp with cleans you like.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
6 Band is enough. The bottom 2 and the highest bands are practically useless for guitar on the 10.

EDIT: But like Dr Pain said, it won't help much. The only advice I can offer is to look for an amp with cleans you like.

u guys all want me to break my back carrying around 2 amp heads lol
the peavey weighs like 40kg on its own! it kills me

come say Hi!
Quote by ChrisRuffell

Buy another head... and a gym membership... learn to squat about 115kg, and bench around 90, and clean around 85. The 40 will seem like nothing after that. And get some protein powder before you lift the amp(just kidding about that part).

I doubled my lifting in my first 1.5 months... so you should have no problem lugging it in 2.
use neck pickup, roll down guitar volume and if necessary, tone. delay, chorus, or reverb will help
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
If anything, a nice delay will cover up crappy cleans quite nicely. I would get a nice, dark analog delay for that purpose.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
A Digitech RV7 sounds much better than an EHX Holy Grail (imo)

Just try a few different pedals to colour your tone, personally I pefer my cleans abit damp.

Also, (again imo) try moving the mids and bass up and turn down treble.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Aug 23, 2009,
a delay with a modulation possibly, like the memory man, seems to have a lot of depth. an eq might help some, i wouldnt drop the 120 on the 10band though. reverb is a must! if you're not on a budget the EHX cathedral should be coming out fairly soon.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by ChrisRuffell

Eh, I've already had back problems but gumbilicious convinced me last night to go for a 2 amp/ 2 2X12 setup over a single really versatile amp. I figure the tone is worth it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Eh, I've already had back problems but gumbilicious convinced me last night to go for a 2 amp/ 2 2X12 setup over a single really versatile amp. I figure the tone is worth it.

sooo 2 heads.. 2 cabs... 1 broken back
ow how i love the guitarist lifestyle
ill have to invest in a bigger car at this rate!

come say Hi!
To fix the cleans you need to do an adjustable fixed bias mod. The power tubes bias set far to cold on these amps to get a nice warm clean. Thats a simple and cost effective mod that will not only improve your clean tone but will make the amps overall tone much better. Keep in mind this will not make it a Fender, but will help the clean channel out a lot, since stock fixed bias only get really hot tubes out of crossover distortion, most tubes are to cold to make the amp sound decent.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
double post
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by ChrisRuffell
i considered getting a 2nd head for clean work but dont fancy having to get a PHD in electronics and having a massive work out everytime i set up my rig for a gig
im not tremonti yet with his like 8 amp heads lol

Just get a small Fender combo or something and A/B the two.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Johnbryant
To fix the cleans you need to do an adjustable fixed bias mod. The power tubes bias set far to cold on these amps to get a nice warm clean. Thats a simple and cost effective mod that will not only improve your clean tone but will make the amps overall tone much better. Keep in mind this will not make it a Fender, but will help the clean channel out a lot, since stock fixed bias only get really hot tubes out of crossover distortion, most tubes are to cold to make the amp sound decent.

now THAT! is both interesting and helpful! thanks man.. see people advice which wont put me in hospital! :P seriously though that sounds like a really good idea ill look into it and have a chat with my techy guy

come say Hi!
Page 1 of 2