Currently I have a stock Epi LP standard, and I want to upgrade one of the pups (I only have $90). I know pretty much nothing about pups, so I have no clue what to get. The pups I have right now sound ok, but the rhythm pup only sounds good clean, and vice versa for the treble, though the treble doesn't sound too bad on the clean channel.

What pup do you suggest? I play punk, but I want it to be versatile. Again, $90 max, but I would prefer to keep the price as low as possible.

Also, just making sure, rhythm = neck pup, and treble = bridge, right?
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
No, Bridge= Bridge and Neck= Neck, Ive never heard rhythm and treble used to describe what position a pickup was in.

I would recommend Duncan Designed Pickups, cheap, but good.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

well, EMGs are pretty much the standard pickup for metal and punk (ther you go, VanTheKraut), but two of them would go way past our budget. then again, $90 won't get you very good pickups. save up some more.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
well, EMGs are pretty much the standard pickup for metal, but two of them would go way past our budget. then again, $90 won't get you very good pickups. save up some more.

He said he wanted PUNK, CHEAP and VERSATILE. and you came in here and said "well heres two ridiculously expensive pickups that ONLY work for Metal, have ****ty cleans, and go way over your budget."

BTW EMG's are not the standard for metal. I wont even consider a guitar if it has EMG's in it.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
No, Bridge= Bridge and Neck= Neck, Ive never heard rhythm and treble used to describe what position a pickup was in.

On any LP they have the switch that says rhythm/ treble...is that switching pups? haha, i feel stupid.
I was looking at the duncans, are there any specific ones I should check out?

And thank you Vanthekraut
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by VanTheKraut
He said he wanted PUNK, CHEAP and VERSATILE. and you came in here and said "well heres two ridiculously expensive pickups that ONLY work for Metal, have ****ty cleans, and go way over your budget."

BTW EMG's are not the standard for metal. I wont even consider a guitar if it has EMG's in it.

well, thanks for the overreaction. what i meant to ay was they seem to be the standard for metal AND punk. lots of band use them and they have decent cleans.

anyways, you;re not going to make a big improvement with $90. it's ridiculous to go though the trouble of putting them in for whatever slight improvement they may give. save up, look into bareknuckle pickups or another boutique maker.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Best budget versatile pup around? Wilde L500XL and don't listen to the know-it-alls who say its only for metal. If you think it may be too harsh, you can still buy the original 500L which would meet your needs, though its a little lacking in power against some. Still louder than the old PAFs though.

Edit: $60 a pop.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Going by reviews for the bareknuckles, I bet they sound great, but they're going for $130 +. Even if I had the money, I think that's way to much, but If I can find one for less, I'd look into it.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by VanTheKraut

ok....

on an lp....
rhythm = neck pup, treble = bridge pup

Duncan designed pups? really?

stop giving suggestions because you don't know ****, no offense, but your post shows it.

now to the OP

I would recommend either Duncan Custom 5 or Dimarzio Norton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Last edited by JLT73 at Aug 22, 2009,
i was thinking a seymour duncan jb in the bridge and a jazz in the neck. very versitale combo. that will cost about $140 total. TS was the toal price $90 or $90 bucks per pick up. if the total is $90 you wont anything really decent.
Quote by zero_123
On any LP they have the switch that says rhythm/ treble...is that switching pups? haha, i feel stupid.

You pretty much have a point there lol
The Bridge and Neck is used to describe the placement of the pickups. Treble and Rhythm for the sound.
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Quote by Supersonic64
i was thinking a seymour duncan jb in the bridge and a jazz in the neck. very versitale combo. that will cost about $140 total. TS was the toal price $90 or $90 bucks per pick up. if the total is $90 you wont anything really decent.

$90 for one pup. I'm only buying one right now. I'm probably gonna replace the other one eventually

How hard is it to install pups yourself? I imagine anyone else would charge a nice bit to do it
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by zero_123
$90 for one pup. I'm only buying one right now. I'm probably gonna replace the other one eventually

How hard is it to install pups yourself? I imagine anyone else would charge a nice bit to do it

its intimidating at first, but in all reality its pretty easy.

Plus its a good thing to learn to be able to maintain your guitar
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
do it yourself its preety easy once you get the hang of it. My friend did the soldering for me so i just told him where to solder.
if you go to a guitar store to get it done there they will charge you. they asked a 100 dollars to put in a HSH set.... yeh....
just curious but what pickup are you going to replace the neck or bridge?
Quote by DIFTWOOD
do it yourself its preety easy once you get the hang of it. My friend did the soldering for me so i just told him where to solder.
if you go to a guitar store to get it done there they will charge you. they asked a 100 dollars to put in a HSH set.... yeh....
just curious but what pickup are you going to replace the neck or bridge?

I think I'm gonna replace the neck pup first, as I can only get a decent clean sound with it.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
if thats the case go with the seymour duncan jazz first has excellent cleans but it really sucks with gain.
Quote by zero_123
I think I'm gonna replace the neck pup first, as I can only get a decent clean sound with it.

i dont know the default pup your lp comes with but make sure the neck pup isnt more powerful than the bridge pup.
unless you use the neck to solo you gernerally dont want your neck to overpower the bridge.
U WANT PUNK PUT A ****ING p90 on the bridge and die a happy man!
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk
U WANT PUNK PUT A ****ING p90 on the bridge and die a happy man!

How is he supposed to put a P-90 in a humbucker route? And if he were to get a humbucker sized P-90 he'd have to spend over his budget to get a decent one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx

How is he supposed to put a P-90 in a humbucker route? And if he were to get a humbucker sized P-90 he'd have to spend over his budget to get a decent one.

i am nt rlly a wiring man but i am sure it is possible BJA has two p90s in a gibby lp custom
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk
i am nt rlly a wiring man but i am sure it is possible BJA has two p90s in a gibby lp custom

wow. fanboy much? and TS, SD 59?
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html\

I own the Fat Pat, good pup, I've heard good things about most of the others.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by zero_123

I would personally reccomend the HB- 101 ('59 copy) in the neck and the HB 102 (JB copy) in the bridge. Since you say you have an Epi Les Paul which im assuming is mahogany I wont recommend my personal DD favorites HB-108's (Invader) because they can get quite muddy on a mahogany guitar. On the off chance that its not though, Id get the 108's.

EDIT: Both of those shouldnt cost you a total of more than $70 because my HB- 108's were only $60 all together.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 23, 2009,