My dad and I passed by a pawnshop today and they have an Ibanez SR 405 on the wall for $200. It looked like it was in pretty good shape, just needed a good cleaning and some new konbs as far as I could tell, didn't play it though so I'd have to do that berore buyng it. Apparently the new sr405qm is 500 new so should I get the sr405? or is it not worth it? I'm not exaclty looking for a new bass but this looks like a pretty good deal and I've never had a 5er before.

tl;dr is an sr405 for $200 a good deal?
no sig for joo
BUY

That's a great bass for an amazing price, I'd snap it up before someone else does!

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Last edited by m4l666 at Aug 22, 2009,
Yes, i'd probably jump on that deal.

Have them let you try it out though, check all the usual stuff youd go over when buying a bass ... if they dont maybe flip a coin or just drop the would be opportunity.

Its too bad that its not in the 500 or greater series.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
if it's missing knobs, i'd offer $75 to $100. play it to make sure all the p-ups and knobs work without noise. if anything doesn't work, walk away. the resale value on an Ibanez SR-405 is $300 to $375 for excellent condition. $150 would be the most i would pay.
Why does it need new knobs? You might be able to haggle some more off, if the knobs don't work or whatever. I agree with lespaulstudio (les?) in that the bass should be in working condition to pay the full 200. I'm cheap, but I still think that trying to get less if it's broken-ish is smart
GET IT!

See if you can haggle, if the guy knows nothing about guitars then you can start complaining about all these little things that can easily be fixed.
thanks for the responses guys.

I think I'm going to jump on it but I'll try to haggle down the prices b/c of the knobs and the hella dirty fretboard. If anything I might just pawn my 15 watt spider 3 (that way I can finally get rid of the damn thing) and use it to pay for the bass.
no sig for joo
Quote by pwrmax
GET IT!

See if you can haggle, if the guy knows nothing about guitars then you can start complaining about all these little things that can easily be fixed.

i agree, this is what dime used to do. for example he used to snap the high e string and say the bridge was ****ed up.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus