So, today I was bored as hell and for some reason started writing a song. So far I have a chorus and a solo. The reason I'm talking about this is because I have a couple of questions. The first on is are lyric line following solos(for lack of a better term) tacky or bad. The solo is basically the vocal line with a few alterations. I love Gilmour, and want to sound like him. My second thing isn't really a question but a statement I was looking for your take on. I don't hate the chorus I came up with, but I feel kind of weird about it. I think that if someone else had written it that I would like it, but I'm not a very open person. I'm kind of shy around people I don't know, and people I'm not shy around don't really know me that well. I've been kind of depressed for a while, which I've never told anyone and the song shows this. Even this post was hard to write. I like what I have and I don't want to scrap it, but I don't feel like I could ever show it to anyone.
"His name is Robert Paulson"
okay man.
the first rule of UG is we dont talk about UG, so ittl be okay u can show it to us.

as for the solo follwing the vocal melody, go for it. if it osunds good and works for the song keep it.
and again man, were a bunch of nobodys on the internet. showing us how u feel doesnt really matter because were practically imaginary as far as you are concerned.
so let her rip and show us your masterpiece.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
You are in luck because Gilmour is my favourite guitarist in the world!

Basically to sound like Gilmour you need to involve loads of emotive bends and effects such as reverb, delay, chorus and slight distortion.

We could go deeply into his style but I think it's probably best for you to study it yourself.

But here's another few tips anyway:

If you know how to use modes then use the dorian mode as that sounds Pink Floydish. If not then just stick with the minor keys.

Also use synthesizers and strings in your songs and try to use a different time signature.

Use your neck pickup (if you have one) as it has a thicker, warmer sound.

The best thing I can tell you to do is study his work, especially Shine on you Crazy Diamond, if that's the kind of song you're trying to write. If not, study Comfortably Numb as that is a bit heavier in the solos.

And finally if you're going to write in Gilmour's style don't try and adapt your current song to his style, write one from scratch.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Writing a song is a process, and is by no means something that always "just happens." Even if you don't like the song or the way it's going, write it down! You can always come back to it and pick it up later to add that extra part or what-have-you. There's been many songs I wrote when I was 15 and re-hashed into something that may use a lick or 3 and sounds completely different (and better, imo).

As for writing in a style, really listen to the artist you are trying to replicate. You can study the scales and chords and all that, but then you'll be inclined to write a song they may have written and you won't feel too original. Try just intensively listening (meaning your listening for how parts mesh and the lyrics flow, not just putting on a song as you do other stuff).

As for the confidence issue, it's hard to build up the courage to show something your passionate about, but you never know how people are going to react until you try. I've had some friends tell me when I thought about becoming a songwriter that I was dumb. Now I'm playing in a band they all come to see, so...

Either way, keep trying and when you feel good enough about your song, show it off with pride. Show it to your parents, your family, or a select group of friends; whoever you think would appreciate the style the most.

The other big thing is don't be afraid to take criticism. Especially if you're looking for someone on the outside (family, friends, or one of us) to listen to your song. Listen to constructive criticism (eg. that was good, but I'd change this) and throw out the negative (e.g. that was dumb because you're dumb). Realize that you're writing a song to show the world something, and that's something that can't be taken away from you.
Paint your picture on silence.