I play lead in a thrash/progressive metal band, so the tone i'm going for is very jeff loomis/Dave Mustaine/ kinda petrucci-ish

I use a good amount of everything. Bass is about 7. Mid 8. Treble/contour/gain 9
Gain is very important

I think i've gotten the best lead tone possible out of the amp alone, and i wouldnt mind spending another 100 bucks for a pedal to get a perfect tone. (and maybe a noise supressor for the ridiculous amount of feedback)

Any suggestions for good pedals?
Last edited by KG Karnage at Aug 22, 2009,
...no
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
scoop your mids? i dunno. but i would suggest a metal muff to anyone in a heartbeat
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
ok well i know its not everyone's favorite amp, but i got it cheap and i've got a decent sound out of it.

i like the mids in the EQ though cus it makes it sound more full but are there any distortion/EQ/etc. pedals that would help the lead sounds?
forget about your mg. get a better amp before you start getting pedals. you could have 100 pedals and it would still sound like an mg.

if you have to though, get a bad monkey to boost your lead sounds. they are only $30 and they do wonders for your tone.
Last edited by sammo_boi at Aug 22, 2009,
alright thanks, i'll look into that.

but i got this amp for 400 bucks and the tone (outside of the leads) is fine. I wouldve preferred a higher-quality (and probably tube) amp. but for local gigs, this does more than its job. i dont understand why people dont like it... cheap, decent tone, low maintenence....
in all reality you are using more gain than what you really need. with that much gain (tube amp or ss) your note clarity/definition is going to be lost.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
well i've tried it with less gain and wasnt too happy with the result.

Maybe its cus i'm using my ESP with and EMG 81/85 set...

But at the moment i'm looking into
Metal Muff
Boss metal-zone

So thanks for the recommendations so far, and the bad monkey sounds wayyy too weak. i need lots of distortion/gain.
Plug out your guitar and you'll sound better.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
plug-out? you could've just said "un-plug"

but yeah i'm still waiting for a reason on why people hate this amp.

unless you're playing Wacken or Download festival or something do you really need to spend 2000 bucks on an amp??
Quote by KG Karnage

unless you're playing Wacken or Download festival or something do you really need to spend 2000 bucks on an amp??

Or you could get a small but good amp that could be micced.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
a boost pedal ain't gonna do jack **** on a ss amp, except for make it clip.

the general "problem" people have with the mg is when cranked up to gigging levels and the way the player has it eqed it usually sounds like garbage. Also with pups like the EMGS it really drives the front end of the amp pretty hard which will make the amp clip.

I had an mg several years ago (before it had all the effects on it) and it wasn't a terrible amp at all. I had a good tone, but that being said playing at gigging volumes my tone lost its clarity and tightness. That being said most the kids posting here haven't developed their ear yet and they just keep repeating what they read, regardless of what they have tried.

After switching to a nice tube amp, the difference is night and day. Great tone all the time.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
they don't like it because for 400 dollars you can get an amp that is worlds better.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
please do us a favor and don't get the metal zone. in fact, you'll be best off without any distortion pedals, as they wont sound any better than the amp's gain.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by KG Karnage

No you can spend 500 dollars on a Blackstar HT-5 and an OD and get much better tone.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'd recommend a Boss Metal-Zone, they're not the most popular. But on cheap solid state amps they give a much thicker sound.

No they don't, they sound pissweak thin.

TS, you're not going to be able to use a distortion pedal on the MG's distortion channel...you'll get an assload of noise and uncontrollable feedback, you could try an EQ pedal though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Marshall MG + Distortion pedal + active pickups = terrible tone

If you can try to sell the amp for something better, preferably tube.
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Your already saying you might get a noise suppressor to deal with the bad feedback MORE gain is not going to help in any way. You need to put your pedal money aside for a better amp.
i wasnt planning on using the pedal with the amp's distortion on... because yes that would indeed sound like mud.

and no i'm not buying a new amp. This is the older version btw so maybe thats why it doesnt sound like many of you explain... then again its possible some of the doubters don't know what a good metal tone is...

but thanks anyway for the help.
Quote by KG Karnage

Uh, not even close.

We hate this amp because, yes, while it's not as bad as it's cracked up to be, it still sucks. Very. Hard.

You can get much better sounding amps used for a lot cheaper, or around the same, as the MG is new. That is why we hate it.

Oh, and by the way, an amp doesn't have to be 2,000 bucks to sound good. It's knowing how and where to look used, and what to keep your eyes open for. If you want my honest advice, sell the MG, and get a used tube combo, or a Flextone/Vetta/VH-140C.

Much better amps, and can be found used for just a little more than the MG, or even at its price point.

Quote by KG_Karnage
and no i'm not buying a new amp. This is the older version btw so maybe thats why it doesnt sound like many of you explain... then again its possible some of the doubters don't know what a good metal tone is...

I know what a good metal tone is. Maybe you just haven't developed an ear for tone. And the old ones sound even worse than the new ones.

And if you aren't getting a new amp, then I'm sorry, but you're going to be stuck with no lead sound. Just the same old tone. You could always just get a volume pedal.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Aug 23, 2009,
Sell the MG and get a Blackstar HT-5 if you play mostly rock and metal or a Peavey Classic 30 if its mostly blues and rock.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
i didnt say you personally didnt know what a good metal tone is, but i've tried the flextone and vetta and wasn't too impressed... "Uh, not even close." and i don't really like combo amps

and the Ampeg was a good suggestion its just that from what i've seen the head alone costs what my entire amp did.

"You can get much better sounding amps used for a lot cheaper, or around the same, as the MG is new. That is why we hate it. "

"Much better amps, and can be found used for just a little more than the MG, or even at its price point."

???? very convincing

and i play Thrash/progressive Death Metal, Think Nevermore, Necrophagist etc... and there are many basement shows without monitors so a 5 watt amp would not suffice.

btw my halfstack is i think 100 watts
Last edited by KG Karnage at Aug 23, 2009,
fine then get a bugera 6260 or 333, or a b52 att series amp. the flextone is also a nice amp (to each his own though if you don't like it)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
thanks, yeah i'm just not a fan of flextone. but i was actually planning on buying that B-52 before the marshall. They have amazing tone
If you can sell the mg and use your pedal money, you might be able to afford it. If so, I'd strongly advise that you go for it
thats not a bad idea, and i actually won a Epiphone Dot Studio the other day so maybe i can sell both and buy that...
This thread is silly.

You bought your MG for $400? I got my JCM 800 for $600. A Peavey Classic 30 can be had used for around the same amount as the MG.

Other than a select few pedals, something under $100 is probably going to be pretty horrible, unless it's used.

My $0.02
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Dude, I meant that even a small tube amp good for metal can be found for less than the MG. But whatever. Your choice, man. I'd listen to Robino and Bubbs.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--