Poll: Which mini amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which mini amp?
Marshall MS-4 Micro Stack ([url]http://tinyurl.com/ltsk2p[/url])
1 3%
Fender Mini Tone-Master ([url]http://tinyurl.com/mhuloy[/url])
1 3%
Fender '57 Mini Twin ([url]http://tinyurl.com/ypqm9a[/url])
9 26%
Vox amPlug AC30 ([url]http://tinyurl.com/69zrn8[/url])
15 43%
Something else (please write in bellow)
9 26%
Voters: 35.
I'm looking for some small amp that will help me on practicing late at night but not get my neighbors mad at me

A few months ago I was mostly decided to get a Vox Amplug AC-30, since I've read so many good reviews of it, but the lack of a power source input kinda made me rethink this choice.

So I started looking around and found these mini combo amps from Marshall and Fender, and they even got the headphone output, so that might be great.

Being able to get some noise without needing a headphone sort of looks like a good pro, but still I could manage to plug an external speaker in the Amplug.

OK, now that the context has been stated, here comes the problem:
I won't be able to test an of these since they are not sold around here and I'll have a friend get it for me. Therefore your recommendation is all I'll have to rely on when deciding
Last edited by strangedata at Aug 22, 2009,
i'd take the 57' since it's got speaker, headphone, gain

the marshall and other fender doesnt have headphone out's which i find usefull with my Vox AC30

though, if i could go back in time i'd get a mini amp with a speaker AND headphone since it's way more versatile
Marshall MS-2, sounds better than the MS-4, drains less batteries and is more compact. Also it has a headphone jack.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Damn man your in the same situation as me..

I also get everything not from here.. my dad or my friend bring me al lthe stuff I need from USA
therefore i cant make a wrond decision as there's no way to return it back or change.. .and icant test the things out...

hmm so i just dig the internet to hell to get all the info..
ok now I'd say you could

a) get any amp and keep it around 1 or less not to be Loud!!!
b) get some headphone amps (vox does some) (around 40$)
c) (I'd go for this) get a Mini stack... marshall's got some... like a small halfstack amp (about thesize of DS1 i guess) and it'll do for practices (around 20-40$)
or get one of the Danelectro pedals (its aroun 20 bux) i dont remember the name of it but it's like a mini amp.. and becomes an overdrive pedal when you plug something to it's output.... nice i guess...
d) get an MFX pedals and play it through your Headhpones
e) play unplugged (I do it that way... I practice till 5 am and.. well yeah i dotn plug it to anything at nights)

ok that's all i can say =.. if your interested in any of my ideas just tell me which and i'll try to get you some good suggesions may be ???
buy a cheap used POD ?
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
If those are the options, I'd go with the '57, I played around with one once and it was pretty nice for what it is, as was the Orange Micro Crush which is what I went with.

I would stay away from the little Marshall thing though, it really is terrible.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
look used and buy a POD or a toneport
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Hello, Everyone.

Thanks for answering!

I just want to further clarify some things. I do have a pretty nice tube amp, but it's way too loud for my apartment, and I only use it when playing with other people. Even at 1 it would disturb the neighbors at night (and my wife ;-)).

My gear is almost exclusively Line 6, and I'm a great fan of their products. I think, though, that the POD may be a bit overkill, since I already have nice fxs that I'd like to keep using when practicing. It may also be somewhat out of my budget right now.

I also have a good pedal that has three independent effects on it and it sports a headphone output. The problem with it is that I can't use its effects with other pedals, since it's an overdrive and everything else (such as modulators, filters or delays) should come after it, thus not giving me any output through the phones. Also the output doesn't sound like a real amp, but rather as if I was outputting my guitar through my computer.

From what I've read, the Amplug line can sound pretty much like an Amp. Can anyone confirm that?

Cheers!
Quote by strangedata
From what I've read, the Amplug line can sound pretty much like an Amp. Can anyone confirm that?

Cheers!

The Amplug series sounds pretty decent. You can plug headphones in for private practicing or you can run it into a PA and it does a pretty decent job of replicating an actual amp.
oh and you could check out the pignose amps

theyre awesome.. not only a practice amp.. but small travel amp.. it's got a rechargable battery, (works for 8 hours if im not wrong) and it's awesome.. pick up your axe... hang it on your back.. gewt out to the road.... and do a Walking Blues Jam!!
The Pignose looks interesting. Too bad it doesn't have a headphone output.

The Orange Micro Crush, on the other hand, has it and looks really promising... but I'm having a hard time trying to find it on U.S.' major retailers.
Those little Marshalls sound like absolute ass. The Fenders I have no idea. If you don't want a Pod, go with the Amplug, though they make different ones for different musical styles (Classic Rock, Metal, Lead, etc). For a little piece of ****, it sounds surprisingly authentic.

Also I had a chance to give the Korg Pandora (one of them) a try, and kind of liked it, though it's significantly more expensive.
I've got the mini '57 twin - from headphones it sounds good, but the tiny speakers are bad, it may just be mine but when you turn the volume up to 6 (the knobs go to 12), and the gain at 1 I get crackles. Turning it up a bit further gives annoying speaker distortion.

Given the choice again I'd go for the Amplug.
I was in the exact same situation as you not a couple of months ago....and I tried 2 solutions...

First, I bought the Vox amplug metal edition, which sounds nice enough, but the problem is if you play a variety of music (like I do) you need a different one for each genre.

So I decided to cut my losses and buy a Roland Microcube...sounds great for the price, gives a variety of sounds has a headphone output and some built in effects...And to top it all off it can also run off batteries and be used as a travel amp!

If I were you, I would go for the microcube, it may be more expensive than the others, but it's worth it!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Yeah, I just picked up a MicroCube from Craigslist for $75. It's a great little amp if you are looking for something battery powered.
if you want a mini amp (and by the way, with a tiny speaker, they are all toys), i suggest you buy a danelectro honey tone amp.

it's the cheapest of the minis, with the best tone, imo.

if you want, more of a headphone amp, the vox plug ins are very nice.

an if you can afford over a hundred, microcubes are my favorite.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by GezzyDiversion
buy a cheap tone port

Download PODfarm, it has a ****ing huge range of tones and you can record as well!!

The toneport GX looks OK and has a good price range. Does anyone know if it supports linux?
Quote by strangedata
The toneport GX looks OK and has a good price range. Does anyone know if it supports linux?

Hmm, apparently not

But at least we can vote for it here.
Quote by jj1565
if you want a mini amp (and by the way, with a tiny speaker, they are all toys), i suggest you buy a danelectro honey tone amp.

it's the cheapest of the minis, with the best tone, imo.

if you want, more of a headphone amp, the vox plug ins are very nice.

an if you can afford over a hundred, microcubes are my favorite.

I second the danelectro, it's really cheap and it's what your looking for. It also allows you to spend alittle until you can afford a larger and better amp (bigger amps also have headphone jacks)
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
The danelectro honeytone looks really nice. Can anyone tell me if the headphone output comes after the pre-amp or before it?

I mean, will the headphone output sound more like an amp or more as if I had just plugged my guitar through a computer microphone input?
if you're looking for the best tone for quiet practice, i suggest you take a good look at the Pandora fly mentioned before.

the amplug is the best cheap answer... and it sounds cheap, but it's a practice amp, and it's hard to go wrong for $30.