Do newer tube amp designs have safety features to prevent amps from going bad from mismatched ohms or running them without a load?

I always hear the same stories from people but NEVER hear about an amp being broken as a result.

I ran my B-52 AT-100 without a load for a half hour turned all the way up and it still works fine. I was using the line out into computer speakers to get sound.

Maybe these precautions people speak of were a just a problem with older equipment and newer stuff is designed to prevent mishaps?
"teh most gains"
the line out bypasses the power amp, if you just turned it on without having it plugged into anything you'd have problems
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
the line out bypasses the power amp, if you just turned it on without having it plugged into anything you'd have problems

Blown power tube(s) if lucky, blown transformer in most cases
WTLTL 2011
Quote by justinb904

Can anyone confirm this?
"teh most gains"
Edited. I was wrong. I was thinking a completely different thing.
Weekend Warrior
Last edited by ML_Guitar09 at Aug 22, 2009,
Yeah, that's not true. The line out is a preamp out - the power amp is still intact, and not bypassed so much as inactive. It won't break anything.

Turning the amp on without a speaker load attached to the output, however, is bad for the amp. That's about the only thing you could do to really damage it without trying to screw with it, or opening it up.
When I was doing work experience, some guy turned on a Mesa Dual Rec without the speaker plugged in... Luckily nothing happened, the amp worked fine. That guy wouldve been sh**ting himself, the Dual Rec was selling for over $5000...

I did it once aswell, nothing happened either.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by DiizZ
When I was doing work experience, some guy turned on a Mesa Dual Rec without the speaker plugged in... Luckily nothing happened, the amp worked fine. That guy wouldve been sh**ting himself, the Dual Rec was selling for over $5000...

I did it once aswell, nothing happened either.

Well, it doesn't mean the whole amp would explode. Just a fairly pricy transformer and tube replacement.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!