I came across one of these on craigslist for $250 in my hunt for a new amp. I was planning on saving for a 6505 but the reviews on this look pretty promising. I play modern metal.
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Last edited by chrisg7 at Aug 22, 2009,
get it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
They are cool. Death metal, rock, jazz, thrash, jazzy DM, it could do it all.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The Ampeg is so much better than the Peavey. It's more versatile too. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
if i get a new amp though, i want this to be my last purchase for a while so its not like i will grab another amp next year
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by chrisg7
if i get a new amp though, i want this to be my last purchase for a while so its not like i will grab another amp next year
Thats up to you man. My ampeg has the same pre-amp, and I still want an Epiphone ValveJR. Modding sounds fun, and good exp.
go buy it.
if you dont i will
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Wait, modern metal? Might need a dist. box to do that. Still get it, cool amps.

Its a little more olde-skool.
well right now im leaning towards not getting it, seeing as im not really after a classic tone, and also this amp is a head, and i am looking for a combo because i dont have a cab
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Wait, modern metal? Might need a dist. box to do that. Still get it, cool amps.

Its a little more olde-skool.

No, it will not need any more gain than it already has. It has more than enough gain for pretty much anything.
EDIT: ^ This amp does not have a "classic" sound. It's a freaking metal amp first and foremost. FFS, TS.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
EDIT: ^ This amp does not have a "classic" sound. It's a freaking metal amp first and foremost. FFS, TS.

Alright chill dude i meant classic metal
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by chrisg7
i meant classic metal

it has enough gain for Modern Metal and if you roll the gain down a bit you can get a pretty good Maiden sound out of it.
feel free to add me
Dying Fetus and Suffocation used the amp. How much more gain do you need?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Seriously, TS, get it. It's got more than enough gain on tap for Modern Metal. And, it's a great deal at $250.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Dying Fetus and Suffocation used the amp. How much more gain do you need?

he was asking about CLASSIC METAL

WTFdit:
just answer the guy's question instead of facepalming.
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Aug 22, 2009,
alright fine ill try and get it, i just prefer tube amps thats all and pretty much had my mind set on the peavey 6505
Quote by wolvenrick
Last edited by chrisg7 at Aug 22, 2009,
Dude get it now.

I bought the VH140-C head a couple of weeks ago and could not be happier with it.

It does everything I want it to do.

I <3 it.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
where is the seller? i might go ahead and buy it while you decide
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The Ampeg VH140C can get a very VERY heavy modern metal sound without the need for a pedal.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
he was asking about CLASSIC METAL

WTFdit:
just answer the guy's question instead of facepalming.

Quote by chrisg7
I play modern metal.

Alf, methinks you need to take another English class.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Alf, methinks you need to take another English class.

he also said something about classic metal but i think i read it wrong...
feel free to add me
ok guys just one more question. Since the amp is 300 watts solid state, does that mean i need a 300watt cab
Quote by wolvenrick
im picking it up monday but can you plz answer my question above
Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by chrisg7
ok guys just one more question. Since the amp is 300 watts solid state, does that mean i need a 300watt cab

Yes.

It's 300 watts?
Seriously?
No, it doesn't necessarily have to be a cab rated for 300W, but if you get one with a lower rating, then you won't be able to use all 300W (although I doubt you ever will anyways ). Don't be a fool and get the Ampeg!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No, it doesn't necessarily have to be a cab rated for 300W, but if you get one with a lower rating, then you won't be able to use all 300W (although I doubt you ever will anyways ). Don't be a fool, get the Ampeg!

Well, this actually.

If you want to use all 300 watts, you need a 300 W cab.
It is NOT 300 watts, It is rated at 70 watt @8 ohms and 140 @4 ohms. It has a AC outlet that is rated 300 watts.

I have one and it is one of my favorites.
Why do so many people who have no clue what they're talking about insist upon trying to answer a question?

There are about 5 people in this thread who know what they are talking about. TS, I know you already decided to buy the amp, but this amp should never need a pedal, unless you want enough gain to make all of your notes indistinguishable. If you want a first hand account, aside from DW, ask the guy named IbanezPsycho.

It'll do everything well, except for maybe classic rock/blues. Everything else? Yes.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
As I posted, It is one of my favorites, Both channels are really good with nice reverb. It has a lot of power. I say go for it, it is a bargin these are great amps.

BTW I currently own the Ampeg, Hiwatt Lead 100, Peavey Windsor, New Bugera 1990 (I like it), Vox Ad50vt. I have bought and sold quite a few amps since I got the Ampeg and I won't part with it.
Quote by DW#
It is NOT 300 watts, It is rated at 70 watt @8 ohms and 140 @4 ohms. It has a AC outlet that is rated 300 watts.

I have one and it is one of my favorites.

Does that mean that when it is on the 4 ohm setting it is twice as loud
Quote by wolvenrick
*completely off topic*

Really? I hated the 1990 I tried at GuitarCenter. But that's probably because it was at GuitarCenter, and was probably mistreated by stupid kids...
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
*completely off topic*

Really? I hated the 1990 I tried at GuitarCenter. But that's probably because it was at GuitarCenter, and was probably mistreated by stupid kids...

is it teh New Bugera?
feel free to add me
Yeah. I still haven't seen hide nor hair of the 1960.
--

--
It does not have a "setting", but it is 4 ohm stable. To make a long story short, a 4 ohm cabinet will draw more power from the amp than a 8 ohm cab. It does not always have a direct connection to volume.

I really like the Bugera 1990 and everyone that has played it has liked it as well. I keep it where we practice, we have four different amps there and lately it is always the first to be turned on, it is the one everyone wants to use.

I would like to check out the 1960, I have a feeling I will end up with one of those as well.
Quote by chrisg7
Does that mean that when it is on the 4 ohm setting it is twice as loud

No, double wattage means +3dB, hardly noticeable. It's much more about headroom. But you're forgiven since you're a Wintersun fan, and Wintersun is ****ing awesome
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
The amp is not 300 watts you are reading the convenience outlet.

Also the amp is a stereo amp so it is rated at 70 watts at 8ohms per side thus the 140 model designation and 90 watts at 4ohms. Also one side is wet and one side can be dry with each side having two outputs.

And to clear things up the Ampeg vh140c is not a metal amp first and foremost. If it did why would they bother to put chorus or reverb built in. The amp is truly based around versatility and its clean channel which sound quite amazing to most peoples ears for a SS amp. It just so happens that they added a ton of gain on one of channels to make it versatile as hell to boot. Another reason they added the Ultra-Mid option. Its a good way to turn the amp from a classic rock tone to a modern metal beast. The amp honestly can pretty much do it all and do it well. Its just lacking in the 100% tube amp category but it is still quite warm sounding for an SS amp.

This amp is just one of those amps that makes a name for itself for something totally different then what it was intended for. And it has quite a following and legacy but being rare alot of people cant get there hands on it so they hear things and say things they might not truly know about fully.

If you have any questions about the amp feel free to hit me up..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 23, 2009,