Page 1 of 2
Long story short my metal band has to play 6 song jazz setlist for a paid gig on Thusrday. Any idea about any songs which would be easily acessable to us? So far we've decided to play Always with me, always with you by Satriani, Plush by STP, and and Tears in Heaven by Clapton. We really need help here as you can tell.
None of those are jazz to begin with.

A couple songs with easy melodies/changes

Doxy
I Mean You
A train
Blue Monk
Side winder
Watermelon Man
none of those songs are jazz songs. in reality you would want to play standards such as Bag's Groove by Miles Davis, So What by Miles Davis, Giant Steps by John Coltrane, Chameleon by Herbie Hancock or Rock It by Hancock.

Jazz is a completely different animal, as is metal in it's own right.

Its kind of strange that you would choose to play a jazz gig being that you are a metal band but best of luck to you!
On another note, whats the instrument of your band? I can guarantee you will NOT be able to pull this off with just drums/bass/guitar. Even two guitars would be really hard, especially considering your lack of experience
No offence, but jazz is HARD. I've played many genres and I can promise that jazz is by far the hardest, if you don't feel the music then it sounds so dull.
Let's just say we have a gun tword our head on this one and it was not by choice. We have 2 guitars, bassist, and a drummer. We need to find a happy middle ground between Jazz and rock and make this work.
Jazz fusion, anyone? How about some Atheist?

Reallistically, Take Five would work well with two guitars
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Quote by Hgtcore3
Let's just say we have a gun tword our head on this one and it was not by choice. We have 2 guitars, bassist, and a drummer. We need to find a happy middle ground between Jazz and rock and make this work.

I dont know what to tell you man. Theres no way you can just try and pull off some clean blues? Im not trying to be a debbie downer, but theres no way you can just pick up some jazz charts and do a good job if youve never played jazz before
60s blues rock would be the closest then, maybe Crossroads by Cream. But if you can't feel the blues then it will sound like poo, I can promise that. Just like how metal will sound terrible if you can't feel the anger.
You better work on your improvising skills. Because no improv basicly means no song.
Some nice beginner stuff include Blue Bossa, The Girl from Ipanema, Giant steps, Autumn Leaves.

Seeing as you included clapton and satriani on a jazz setlist, I think you are absolutely horribly ****ed, tbh.
Quote by wesselbindt
You better work on your improvising skills. Because no improv basicly means no song.
Some nice beginner stuff include Blue Bossa, The Girl from Ipanema, Giant steps, Autumn Leaves.

Couldn't agree more with the first line. Jazz is about improvisation.

I would like to add that giant steps is NOT a good song to try to play. People can spend years shedding on it and still can't play it for crap.

A few more songs you might be interested in are:
All Blues
Agua de beber
Corcovado
One Note Samba
A Night in Tunisia
Dolphin Dance
Maiden Voyage
Cantaloupe island
It just so happens that the band I play in was basically our school jazz band last year. Our school used to have a really good music program in the seventies and eighties but it died in the nineties. When I began ninth grade a former student had returned after teaching music in elementary schools for several years. (He was also my music teacher in grade eight, strange, eh?)

When my friends and I reached grade twelve we were really the only students he had that were interested in jazz (and could keep up with it) so we began playing a lot of jazz. We played a variety of songs, some of which we were just not able to make sound good.

Therefore, with the little amount of experience I have playing jazz "properly" I would recommend some of the following songs:

Black Orpheus
The Girl From Impanema
Autumn Leaves
Take Five
So What
Wave
Bluesette
In a Mellow Tone
All Blues
Misty
Have You Met Miss Jones

There are a variety of different style of jazz in there, so you should be able to find something that sounds "good" to you guys and make it work for you. If you're going to be playing any amount of jazz I highly invest in purchasing a fake book (or a real book). You could alternately find them on the internet somewhere, though I'm not sure where exactly (rapidshare, mediafire - anywhere like that).
Quote by Windwaker
I would like to add that giant steps is NOT a good song to try to play. People can spend years shedding on it and still can't play it for crap.

Jazz isn't about shredding. One guy I know could play like Petrucci and then joined jazz ensemble, looked like a complete beginner because he couldn't feel it.
Quote by pwrmax
Jazz isn't about shredding. One guy I know could play like Petrucci and then joined jazz ensemble, looked like a complete beginner because he couldn't feel it.
Pretty sure he didn't mean shredding like most people on hear know it. More like shredding practicing over and over.
Quote by rockinrider55
Pretty sure he didn't mean shredding like most people on hear know it. More like shredding practicing over and over.

The word is actually shedding not shredding.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Last edited by guitarplaya322 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax

Shedding.

Woodshedding.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
IMO some good jazz standards are stuff like How Could I - Cynic, Mother Man - Atheist, stuff like that. Seriously though. If you're bassist is very skilled and you're guitarists are good, you could pull off some Atheist, Incarnation's Dream is very jazzy, and Mother Man has a jazz breakdown towards the end. As for real jazz, So What is very fun for a two guitar piece, but its a bitch to play in some parts.
Quote by MadAudioMan
IMO some good jazz standards are stuff like How Could I - Cynic, Mother Man - Atheist, stuff like that. Seriously though. If you're bassist is very skilled and you're guitarists are good, you could pull off some Atheist, Incarnation's Dream is very jazzy, and Mother Man has a jazz breakdown towards the end. As for real jazz, So What is very fun for a two guitar piece, but its a bitch to play in some parts.

Those songs are not jazz standards. And So What would be a good piece its hella easy i dont know what parts would be hard.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
doesn't sound like you mean really jazzy jazz, maybe some Steely Dan, Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin, Rainy Day Dream Away by Jimi Hendrix (jam with it).
Do some early Sting songs perhaps (from Dream of The Blue Turtles and Nothing Like The Sun)... but the other guys are right. Jazz, especially with a line up meant for metal, is going to be terribly difficult.
Allan Holdsworth might be what you're looking for. Not pure jazz but fusion nevertheless. Look for the record "Metal Fatigue" if you want some of the harder stuff.

If you want actual jazz my favourite jazz record of all time is "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis, featuring greats such as John Coltrane and Bill Evans.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
imrovise. BS some slow jazz with whole and half note "jazz" chords one one guitar with a tasty melody on the other. you wouldn't believe how many slow jazz gigs i've bsed and still gotten paid, and even made fans at
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
Quote by pwrmax

Shedding means practicing...

Facepalm to whoever said hendrix is jazz
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax

Quote by master2sexy
Jazz fusion, anyone? How about some Atheist?

Athiest and NOT jazz fusion mate. Hardly even jazz tinged metal. Check out Weather report, greg howe, mahavishnu orchestra, allan holdsworth etc.
Last edited by Serg1 at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by Hgtcore3

Funk, mayhaps?
If not, Hey by RHCP has a jazzy feel to it, though it isn't classified as jazz.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by 7even
Allan Holdsworth might be what you're looking for. Not pure jazz but fusion nevertheless. Look for the record "Metal Fatigue" if you want some of the harder stuff.

+1 for allan holdsworth

also its worth checking out some Pat Metheny
Quote by guitarplaya322

Ahh my bad, read it wrong.
Quote by guitarplaya322
opps didn't check to see if he copied the post right
For the sake of prevention of future confusion, you should say "woodshedding" instead of just "shedding", especially around guitarists.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure Petrucci woodsheds every day.
I was joking about Atheist and Cynic being jazz, though they do they jazzy parts, anyways... If you're looking for jazzy rock, Traffic and Steely Dan have great songs that'd fit the bill. Bodhisattiva or whatever its called by Steely Dan is very jazzy, also, have you heard the Alex Skolnick Trio? Jazz interpretations of metal/rock songs with a line up less then yours. So those songs might be cool to do.
a list of easy tunes:
take the a train
all blues
out of nowhere
blue bossa
black orpheus (a day in the life of a fool)
so what
impressions
little sunflower (the last three are harmonicaly exactly the same, just different melodies)
blue monk/tenor madness/night train
all of me
misty
darn that dream (one solo guitar chord melody, playing the actual tune is quite challenging)
maiden voyage
solar
milestones
blue train
my little suede shoes
oleo
perdido
satin doll
the world is waiting on the sunrise
how high the moon
minor swing
nuages
autumn leaves

not technicaly difficult, but with challenging chord changes (hard to solo over)
epistrophy
well you needn't
ESP
darn that dream
all the things you are
a night in tunisia
technicaly difficult, but not terribly difficult changes
billies bounce
spain
anthropology
ornithology
most django reinhardt

most of those tunes are in the real book. for improvisation use bopland.net for licks, the charlie parker omnibook, and theres a series called jazz conception. all good for licks/learning forms.
the most important thing about playing jazz is preserving the form. wrong notes/chords arent the worst thing that can happen at a gig, but if people lose the form of the song you will fall apart.
EDIT:
remembered more tunes
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Aug 23, 2009,
Here's a list that Kristian Niemann (Therion/Demonoid) sent me:

13 must-have jazzguitar cds
Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life. Early 70´s. Very melodic and beautiful stuff.
Pat Metheny - The Road To You. A live album from early 90´s. You will like it.
Wes Montgomery - Smokin´ At The Half Note. The godfather of modern jazz guitar.
John Scofield - The Best Of:Liquid Fire. Great introduction to his fusion period. Groovy and cool as hell.
Pat Martino - Conciousness. Burning bebop!
DiMeola/McLaughlin/DeLucia - Friday Night In San Fransisco. 3 burnin´ acoustic players, pure genius. MUST-HAVE!!!
Bill Frisell - East/West. Live album that is a great introduction to this very diverse player.
Mike Stern - Standards And Other Songs. Hear Mike burn in his signature style, very light touch, killer picking chops.
Larry Carlton - FireWire. Great recent album by the Master Of Tasty Cool Licks.
Frank Gambale - Natural High. Acoustic trio album by the sweepmaster.
Allan Holdsworth - Wardenclyffe Tower. One of his most accessible cds. Stellar writing, production, playing.
Robben Ford - Talk To Your Daughter. Earthy, bluesy solo debut by one of the world´s most tasty players.

Then...

14 must-have classic jazz albums
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue. THE jazz recording of the century.
Miles Davis - (4 cds Cookin´, Steamin´, Relaxin´, Workin´. With John Coltrane on tenor sax.
Charlie Parker - Best Of The Complete Savoy And Dial Studio Recordings. Essential.
Keith Jarrett - Paris Concert. A solo piano performance. Probably my favorite record of all time.
John Coltrane - Ballads. Very accessible, stunningly beautiful playing.
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things. Trane on soprano sax.
Bill Evans - Waltz For Debby.
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus.
Art Tatum - The Complete Capitol Recordings. One of the most amazing musicians that ever lived.
Thelonius Monk - Best Of:The Blue Note Years. My favorite jazz composer. Extremely cool.
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch. Eric plays alto sax and bass clarinet. The title says it all.

Dig in!
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Page 1 of 2