Poll: If you didnt have a musical intrument what do you think you would be doing right now?
Poll Options
View poll results: If you didnt have a musical intrument what do you think you would be doing right now?
watching TV
6 21%
jacking off
10 34%
Becoming a genious
8 28%
suicide, Music=Life
10 34%
Voters: 29.
Sup,

i wanna ask a couple of questions about sweeps.
I'm a serious guitar player, I plan on going to mcnally college of music,
but anyways.( to be honest, i'm not even a junior in highschool yet)

I wanna play the human abstract-vela togother we await the storm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/the_human_abstract/vela_together_we_await_the_storm_guitar_pro.htm

But I've never been much of a sweeper. I am common sweeper like I can play atreyu sweeping-(bleeding mascara) check it out,,, and i can sweep this song but just not that fast and clean its crazy, could you give me some serious tips that will help, like practice songs or arpeggios

thank you alot

here is some of my songs
Attachments:
JJ2.zip
Rain.zip
Well first off, practice. Second. If you plan on going to college and major in music, you will definitely not be playing The Human Abstract. Sure the old guitarist A.J. was into classical music so he incorporated a neo-classical feel into there songs, but his sweeps and all the same, just like a lot of other bands, HUGE waves and waves of 5 string or 3 string sweeps.

Sweeping is a tool to use whilst making a song to add flare.Once you overkill , people will laugh.
Quote by mashizz
the only thing i can advise is start slowly and speed up. the 3 sweeping licks in this video really helped me out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik

Edit: what's with the random poll?

Don't pay attention to this video. Gates is not a good sweeper.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by KurtCobain9898
Well first off, practice. Second. If you plan on going to college and major in music, you will definitely not be playing The Human Abstract. Sure the old guitarist A.J. was into classical music so he incorporated a neo-classical feel into there songs, but his sweeps and all the same, just like a lot of other bands, HUGE waves and waves of 5 string or 3 string sweeps.

Sweeping is a tool to use whilst making a song to add flare.Once you overkill , people will laugh.

This. I understand wanting to learn the sweeps for yourself just to have the technique down. Slow down. Way down. Play with distortion on so your mistakes are GLARING. Don't allow yourself to speed up until you can nail it 10 out of 10 times at the speed your playing it at.
Quote by mashizz
the only thing i can advise is start slowly and speed up. the 3 sweeping licks in this video really helped me out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEydKC680Ik

Edit: what's with the random poll?

I closed this when I read: "Synyster gates".

The intro to that song isn't too hard, just slow it down alot and practice.
Quote by nostrings
I closed this when I read: "Synyster gates".

The intro to that song isn't too hard, just slow it down alot and practice.

yep , synyster = fail blog
Quote by StewieSwan

i know he's not a good sweeper, i was just showing 3 basic arpeggios
Quote by StewieSwan

Yeah, that's pretty sloppy. Not that I could do it even that well, but I'm not making a video about it. He seems to be moving his hands way too much to get clean notes at that tempo. It's cool that he's using funky chords, but that's why most sweepers use simple chord shapes; moving your left hand as little as possible gives you the cleanest notes.

The only possible advice is to practice, and to use a metronome. What makes sweeps sound fluid is consistent picking and fretting, and you need to have good timing for that to happen. Try setting it so you're hitting one note per beat, then every other beat, and finally every third.
Quote by Windwaker
Play with distortion on so your mistakes are GLARING. Don't allow yourself to speed up until you can nail it 10 out of 10 times at the speed your playing it at.

I think you mean with distortion off. Gates is using heavy distortion in the video, and half his notes are muddy. I guarantee that clean, they would have sounded more like 'thwop.' Distortion may amply a terrible mistake, but it will also cover up a small one.
Ok
thx for the advice but I know how to sweep I not a bad sweeper
listen to it. its fast 140BPm
also the intro sweep starts form
**************************10-5--------5--10---5
******************************6**6
and I cant hammer on and pulloff 10-5
Last edited by mxrider139 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by mxrider139
Ok

I just swept this using my ukulele..
Not that thats a big feat, just had to put that out there :P
Quote by mxrider139
Ok

10-5 is a little bit of a stretch, but something that most people can do with some practice. I'd recommended transposing the entire lick up to a point on the fretboard where you can play it comfortably - for example, so the pull off is 17-12. When you have made some improvement at the lick, move it down a fret. You are aiming for it to be just bit a little bit of a stretch in the new position. Play it there til it feels completely comfortable and doesn't feel like much of a stretch any more. Then down another fret. And so on.
Guitar Techniques thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Oh... and those things like "experienced need only apply" kind of bother me on a public forum. UG is for all of us to participate. People generally have a sense of whether they have something to contribute to a thread or not.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.