just out of intrest do any bass guitar players play electric guitar aswel? do u find bass guitar more easier to play?
I think it really just comes down to the style you play. Like slaping and popping is harder than playing chords but shredding is harder than root notes.
with guitar at times the notes dont ring right, that takes practice yea but with bass it seems like more gap for fingers to move about abit. i was thinking of trying bass guitar, i find guitar akward and tricky to get used to yea.
one of my buds, he keeps saying he wants a bass guitar by music man with a humbucker, they like 1200 to buy but he saying they the best.
I agree with Deliriumbassist, bass is easier in a lot of music, but there are a lot of people that prefer bass & make it more complex than the majority of bassists
I started with bass, & after a year moved on to guitar & stayed with guitar mostly for about 3 years, but now I'm getting much more into bass again
I used to have a guitar and honestly if you view any instrument as being harder than another youre playing for the wrong reasons.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
there was this guy i saw on a dvd, he played a long bass solo, was quite cool i guess thats where i got into bass guitar. i think that guy is called stu ham or sumin like that.
Quote by KingOfBlood
I don't play guitar really, but that's just because every time I try the strings and the fret spaces are so small compared to bass. Most bass lines are much easier than guitar, but sometimes there are some really complex things, like:

Atheist - Mother Man
Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains
Obscura - The Anticosmic Overload
And of course:
Brain Drill - Bury The Living
Haha, Brain Drill... xD

I would also suggest Blotted Science, Spiral Architect and Watchtower for more excellent bass playing in metal.
Any instrument's as easy or hard as you want to make it; but I do treat guitar and bass slightly differently. Despite them having exactly the same 13 notes an' all!

Or you could do both!
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Aug 22, 2009,
I think guitar is harder. When I play it kind of just sounds off (tone wise, though I know I'm using an all bass rig). Even on a guitar right though, I still don't have "guitar fingers" or whatever. I'm able to play lines on bass that I'm unable to play on guitar. I think picking has to deal with it too, I pick poorly.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I play classical guitar and bass guitar. I find they use different skills although classical is a lot more intricate and therefore takes more practice in order for me to improve. Another thing I find is that guitar tends to help my bass playing (as does double bass), whereas bass doesn't help my guitar at all.
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
I find guitar harder, but that's just becuase I'm not used to the string spacing and scale length.
I agree with delirium.

Personally it was a great help learning guitar because it 1. helps you write songs by yourself, and 2, probably more important, taught me more about chord structure and extended my bass playing.
Quote by creepingjesus73
Any instrument's as easy or hard as you want to make it.

This.
You're killing me Smalls!
Quote by shattamakkar
OMG ARE THOSE WAT I THINK THEY ARE!
Playing bass made me better at playing guitar. And I also find bass funner, but I love them both.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I agree with Delirium on this one. I have an acoustic guitar and actually went from the acoustic guitar to the bass (an oportunity to play for a band presented itself) it was supposed to be temporary but after a while i started loving the bass... to me the bass is a bit more... free i guess you could say... you can kind of walk from one scale to another without much effort and it sounds pretty cool... but also my guitar skills don't amount to much... i'm a rythm guitarist and thus i just play chords... everynow and then i will man up a solo or something... but i usually just play bass.. i find that playing a variety of music helps challenge you and you get some great playing skills....
My Gear
Les Paul Special 4 String by Epiphone
15" Crate 220w Combo Amp

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
Quote by whoknows
I think it really just comes down to the style you play. Like slaping and popping is harder than playing chords but shredding is harder than root notes.

And this again all depends on interpretation.
Playing chords is easy if you have learned a song, improvising chords with your scale knowledge is incredibly difficult, etc.
I started with electric for two years and got nowhere so I decided to try bass and it didn't seem easier, it just "clicked" better with me.
Quote by Casketcreep
And this again all depends on interpretation.
Playing chords is easy if you have learned a song, improvising chords with your scale knowledge is incredibly difficult, etc.

Well, that's really only if you don't learn your theory.

But for me, that's only really for standard chords, once you start adding in extra notes and often diminished chords i get confused.
I play guitar to write songs, but I play bass for fun.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I play both. I've played guitar for nearly 3 and a half years, I've played bass for about 2 years. I consider myself to be a much better bassist than a guitarist.

My guitar playing is incredibly sloppy, I find it much easier fingerpicking on my bass than using a plectrum playing guitar. I also find the larger scale of a bass easier for me.

That being said, when I'm trying to write music, I tend to use my guitar a lot more.

Any instrument can be as hard or as easy as you want it to be to play.
depends what I'm playing, In general, playing guitar is harder for me. I've played bass for about a year longer than guitar though, so i might just be a better bassist than guitarist. However i still think that playing YYZ on bass is alot harder than mary had a little lamb on guitar.
I can play guitar, I just find bass cooler in general, along with being more fun to play.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
My uncle plays bass, a freaking good one as well.

he plays, bass and guitar

he has 3 12 string waterstone basses, and plays them like buckethead on lead.
he has alot more basses, 4 rickenbackers, etc.

he also plays, guitar. i play both as well, proberly enjoy bass more.