Alright I've got a friend asking if putting something other than a guitar through a guitar amp would ruin it. Right now he is playing songs through the main input for the guitar. I know this is bad for the amp, and I told him that. He is wondering why it's so bad for the amp. I'm guessing the amp is specifically made for those frequencies a guitar puts out and asking the circuits to amplify other frequencies is hard on it. Am I right? I know that If an amp has an RCA stereo or Aux input it's fine but I dont know about the input for the guitar.

So main question here, is putting other sounds through a guitar amp ruining the amp?

Thanks UG
If played at a lesser volume, it won't do any immediate damage. Anything that isn't a guitar, plugged into a guitar amp, will just wear out components faster and the such. Why's he playing songs through the guitar amp? Got a boom box or i-pod to jam to?
I have no clue why he's using as a amp for his iPod. He just always asks about what he's doing, then I tell him not to do it and he asks why I tell him why and he continues and just wasted 20 minutes of my time. So thanks for your help and I hope his amp burns, little jerk.
I've plugged in a microphone through me amp and havent really noticed much damage,
and i scream pretty high and low.
but maybe like "sayanything: said at lower volumes its fine.
but i really dont know.
Honestly it's probaly doing little to no damage to his amp. Music from an ipod with my understanding is very compressed. Unless he's cranking a bass through the speaker its really not that much of a problem. Plus its his amp if he thinks it will break and keeps doing it then it's his fault an none of your buisness to torment him about it.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
Honestly it's probaly doing little to no damage to his amp. Music from an ipod with my understanding is very compressed. Unless he's cranking a bass through the speaker its really not that much of a problem. Plus its his amp if he thinks it will break and keeps doing it then it's his fault an none of your buisness to torment him about it.

yeah the frequencies of a song from an ipod are pretty compressed, the bass is much lower than the guitar and vocals which are at frequencies the amp usually outputs, sure its doing some damage, but probably not much.
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Phat Stud 55
Alright I've got a friend asking if putting something other than a guitar through a guitar amp would ruin it. Right now he is playing songs through the main input for the guitar. I know this is bad for the amp, and I told him that. He is wondering why it's so bad for the amp. I'm guessing the amp is specifically made for those frequencies a guitar puts out and asking the circuits to amplify other frequencies is hard on it. Am I right? I know that If an amp has an RCA stereo or Aux input it's fine but I dont know about the input for the guitar.

So main question here, is putting other sounds through a guitar amp ruining the amp?

Thanks UG

No, you're not right, it cant do ANY damage to the circuit, except maybe if you put ridiculously loud. The only it could damage is the speaker, but that won't happen at low volumes