I wanna start off by saying this,
when ever i buy new strings and put them on my guitar
they usually go bad with in about a few days.,
WTF!!!
so how do i keep em to stay clean and bright
for at least a month?
thanks for all advice in advance.
Lol. That's how it works dude. How long do you play each day?
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Quote by mcrfobtai
I don't

+1 billion. Seriously I never do with about an hours practice everyday. I use Elixirs though
Theres not much you can do for your strings. They tarnish from the oils on your fingers. Best advice I know is to wash your hands before playing, and wipe the strings down with a clean dry cloth when your done to remove the oils you left behind.
fingernails
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Quote by Bentheemo
+1 billion. Seriously I never do with about an hours practice everyday. I use Elixirs though

i wanted to get elixirs but i heard the coating on them kills your tone.
so i pretty much stay away form them.
and plus ernie ball is the only brand i know that makes my perfect size.
heavy top skinny bottom.
Quote by Bentheemo

Elixir's all day.

Other than that, you can get good strings, but you actually keeping them nice and shiny is highly unlikely.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
use WD-40 or simalar on the neck, it increases slide so you can play quicker, and removes all the crap from the stings...

my guitar teacher showed me that trick.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Fast Fret seems to work for me

Ernie Ball Slinkies on both my maple fretboard and rosewood..

I'd suggest using those little silcon satchels in your hardcase and keep ithe guitar out of cases as much as you can.

Not too sure about the WD40 thing, depends on the finish of your fretboard i reckon.
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
I never do, eventually i just put new ones on, its good to change your string every 3-4 weeks btw, i would try but i don't have $20 every once to put towards strings, so i got every 2 months
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Try out the EB Titanium Coated strings. The finish has lasted at least 3-4x longer than the finish on the regulars. Didn't change the tone at all too.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Matt420740
Theres not much you can do for your strings. They tarnish from the oils on your fingers. Best advice I know is to wash your hands before playing, and wipe the strings down with a clean dry cloth when your done to remove the oils you left behind.

metal strings + water = tear skin off your fingers at least for me.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by ZeroCS

Elixir's all day.

Other than that, you can get good strings, but you actually keeping them nice and shiny is highly unlikely.

FTW. I always use Elixirs. Would it hurt to just buy a pack to try them out just once?
Lol, I haven't changed strings on my main guitar in like 3 months. And I never clean them.
Pfft. I just change them every two weeks. Cleaning is for pansies.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Bentheemo
FTW. I always use Elixirs. Would it hurt to just buy a pack to try them out just once?

When has it hurt to try anything? Go for it, I pulled a risky one by buying two packs, but I don't regret it. It doesn't affect my tone, at least not so far. They were a bitch to put on though.

Get the coated Elixir's, gauge is up to you. I'm using .10's right now and it's heaven.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
wash your hands.

if you play with clean hands your strings will last a hell of a lot longer.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I don't i'm to lazy and besides i just buy new strings every 2-3 weeks, gives me a chance to go the music shop and have a browse
Quote by UnsignedRecords
wash your hands.

if you play with clean hands your strings will last a hell of a lot longer.

This.

Also: I use steel wool.
dunlop formula 65 string cleaner after every use
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Finger Ease string lubricant. Not only does it clean them well, it makes the neck SUPER fast.
never clean mine, they last from a month to a month and half playing an hour or so a day. D'Addarios XL115's
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I don't...
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I don't think that Elixrs alter your tone at all! I always string my Guild D40 with them, and the tone is as clear and crisp as if I strung it with Martin Phosphor Bronze strings! Plus, they last a lot longer than the 5ish days that a set of Martins lasts.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
Last edited by ProjectileQuiet at Aug 24, 2009,
On my acoustic, I got some D'Addario EXP (they are coated) and they stay bright and new sounding at least three times longer than any other string I've used. They sound fine too.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I use tissues. Is that bad?
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
--------------------------------------------
My avatar is a tree.
hi Bdrislegit,. tho i always use elixir nanoweb phospher bronze lights and mediunm on 2 main acoustics+elixir resonator sets on my dobros,.before elixir i used GHS vintage bronze and discovered thet if i let them dry after a gig and cleaned them just before the next gig or when perfectly dry with a plastic pot scrubber type flat pad from my supermarket,.they came up bright n shiney and got the tone back ,.but i had to do this before each gig,.let me try to describe the pad type for you! it comes in a pack of 5 or 10 flat green fine mesh plastic fiber squares that are used to clean pots n pans without scraping the metal,.when the strings are dry you wrap the flexible pad around the dirty string and rub quite strong along the length until it comes clean,.this also removes most of the dried goo between the windings ,.you can see the dirt on the pad after cleaning,.also can clean the plain strings,.if you cant find this pad please feel free to PM me with an adress and i will send a sample to you,.i discovered that any other cleaning method EG, oils ,fast fret etc ,only clogs up the string between the windings ,.so give it a try,.cheers,.