This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Is there a way to "translate" a chord like G, C, E, or D (open chords) into "power chords" where you only play two frets? I know it won't be the exact same sound, but something close?

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
G is a note not a chord. It can be played in many ways. You could pick a single G note, play a G power chord, or a full G chord. Its all going to be G.
yeah, you just take off teh third of each chord. Or only play the lower three strings

Example:

G is 3 5 5 4

G5 (power chord) 3 5 5
Play the root and the maj 3rd.

...Or just play the powerchord version, like G5, C5, E5 and D5.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
what they mean is,
on your E string (the thickest one)
play the third fret
on your A sting (the one right below it)
okay the 5th fret.
hope that helps.
Quote by Rio38
This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Is there a way to "translate" a chord like G, C, E, or D (open chords) into "power chords" where you only play two frets? I know it won't be the exact same sound, but something close?

Thanks.

Yes, but you might be disappointed at how different it sounds, especially if you try this with chords with more than just a bare three notes.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Yes, it's a stupid question

A powerchord is just a rooth and fifth, a chord without a third ie the bottom 2 notes of a normal chord with the option of throwing the octave in there...read up on chord construction and it explains it all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes? People correct information posted yet the vii chord cannot create power chord, diminished 5th of the chord structure.
Hello, my name is Phillip McGraaw

I have PhD in Women's Studies/Immigration trends from University of Texas at Austin.

I am an Indian who immigrated to America 7 years ago. I like Warehouse 13, Twitter, Guitar, etc.
Thanks for the replies guys. I just wanted it as a general basis for a quick fix so I could get through a a basic song. I am still learning the actual chords.

I appreciate it.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212