Im thinking of buying the ts9 tubescreamer to use with my peavey vypyr 75w (solid state). This amp already has a model of the tubescreamer built in which denotes it well but I haven't used the tubescreamer itself before so will it be an improvement or should I just stick with the one in the amp? (I play a standard MIM strat)
well the only way to tell is to go try a tubescreamer yourself and see if you like it.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
why do you want one as a pedal anyway.

By that, i mean doesnt the Vypyr have enough low gain models as it is. If all you want is a clean boost then save money and get a Bad Monkey.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Aug 22, 2009,
Quote by TOMMYB22
why do you want one as a pedal anyway.

I wanted to know if the pedal sounded better then the one on the amp.
If you buy the pedal then you can use the effect anywhere.
If you don't you will need the Vypyr. And you won't be using it all the time. Because it's not always possible to bring it with you.

EDIT: Or I might break the amp.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
In my opinion, if your Vypyr already models it well, but you still want a good OD, get the MXR GT-OD. Much better than the Tubescreamer in my opinion. And it's a custom shop pedal.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
What would you be using the TS for? Overdriven sounds or tightening your sound?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I don't think I'd use a TS9 with an amp like that... I mean, it's called the TUBE Screamer... it wouldn't do you much good since you don't have any tubes for it to make scream.
Quote by CaptDin
I don't think I'd use a TS9 with an amp like that... I mean, it's called the TUBE Screamer... it wouldn't do you much good since you don't have any tubes for it to make scream.

hehe well thats next on the list.
Quote by CaptDin

You really don't know what an OD pedal does do you?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by CaptDin

+100
Most people use an od pedal to either boost their sound for solos or to drive thier amp to give it more gain then it can normaly put out. If your amp already reach a ridicolous amount of gain and really dosn't need that much boosting. So really imo there's no point of buying one.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by TOMMYB22

He meant if TS is planning to use it as a clean boost, which would do next to nothing on a modelling amp. If he is planning to use it as an overdrive, the Vypyr already has the model, so unless the real thing is waaay better, it would be pointless.
Quote by larrytheguitar
In my opinion, if your Vypyr already models it well, but you still want a good OD, get the MXR GT-OD. Much better than the Tubescreamer in my opinion. And it's a custom shop pedal.

GT-OD blows IMO. And Dunlop Custom Shop doesn't mean **** except for the rack wah.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
GT-OD blows IMO. And Dunlop Custom Shop doesn't mean **** except for the rack wah.

Oh well
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by TOMMYB22

You really don't know what a Tubescreamer does, do you?

Most people I know who use one run it with the Gain low and the Level high. T TS is best for pushing the preamp and making it drive the amp harder, rather than clipping the signal themselves.

Anyway, with the Vypyr it probably won't sound very good at all (their preamps are not designed to be boosted), but it's worth having an OD pedal in your arsenal if you're planning on buying a valve amp anytime soon.

Have a look at the Danelectro 'Cool Cat' Transparent Overdrive and the Digitech Bad Monkey for cheap, excellent pedals.
Quote by kyle62
You really don't know what a Tubescreamer does, do you?

Most people I know who use one run it with the Gain low and the Level high. T TS is best for pushing the preamp and making it drive the amp harder, rather than clipping the signal themselves.

Anyway, with the Vypyr it probably won't sound very good at all (their preamps are not designed to be boosted), but it's worth having an OD pedal in your arsenal if you're planning on buying a valve amp anytime soon.

Have a look at the Danelectro 'Cool Cat' Transparent Overdrive and the Digitech Bad Monkey for cheap, excellent pedals.

Of course you can use it as a clean boost but he was under the impression that an OD like the TS9 actually drives the tubes hard which is simply a myth.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie