Hey guys, I just got Logic Studio 9 and I don't know much about it yet. I am in the middle of recording a song and there is a transition in the guitar track from clean to distortion. However, the change sounds MUCH too abrupt and it is very unpleasant in the song. Any tips or tricks or anything like that about it? How do you change from clean to distortion smoothly? I'm using amp designer btw if that helps
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Try building up.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
yeah that always used to be hard for me.
try one of the too.
with the clean right before you break in to distortion,
try playing with some balls if that makes any sense so that the transition wont be
all like WTF!!!
or play the clean part softly and come in even softer with distortion.
its not that hard really just tweak it a bit.
record them in separate tracks. let the clean track run a little through the beginning of the distortion track and fade out. if you change effects it will sound abrupt.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Quote by seanington
In a recording situation you could just get someone else to roll up the volume on your guitar whilst playing the riff.

wait, what?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by seanington
In a recording situation you could just get someone else to roll up the volume on your guitar whilst playing the riff.

isnt a volume pedal just a bit more comfortable for this?
anyway, i second the "separate track" solution.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
Quote by seanington
You've never used the volume on your guitar for dynamics like that?

yes, when playing live, when recording (especially if using an amp sim) it would be a lot easier to just use a volume envelope, it should also be noted that amp sims don't really respond to dynamics the way tube amps do most of the time.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yes, when playing live, when recording (especially if using an amp sim) it would be a lot easier to just use a volume envelope, it should also be noted that amp sims don't really respond to dynamics the way tube amps do most of the time.

Thank you. How do I do that, specifically in logic pro?
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
Quote by Pants99
Thank you. How do I do that, specifically in logic pro?

I'm not really sure as I haven't really used logic all that much in years, but there are plenty of logic users on here and I'm sure someone will be able to answer that question for you.

Last.fm
alright. thanks a lot

EDIT: that wasn't a sarcastic thanks a lot btw lol i just looked at it and was like o dam lol
Last edited by Pants99 at Aug 24, 2009,