im currently looking to buy the ESP LTD M-200FM, but have been a bit wary because of the agathis wings (its a maple neck through).

I already know the Pro arguments of ''its just a inexpernsive mahogany'' and ''it isnt BAD, its just what tone you like''

and the Con arguments of ''its dead and useless'' and ''dont even bother, mahogany is 100x better..''

but i want to know what it would sound like in THIS situation of a maple neck through construction with the agathis wings. can anybody help?
Quote by burnboy85
As my guitar teacher says, you can slap pickups on a toilet seat, and it will sound fine. Wood doesnt matter too much, especially just wings.

I wholeheartedly disagree. In my opinion... the wood is the most important aspect to tone. (except fingers) You can put pickups from a Les Paul into a Strat and it will still sound very drifferent from the LP. PIckups are important, but not as important as the wood.
I personally would not buy an agathis guitar. But hey its still gonna sound ok. I would be more worried about the pick ups and the amp if you are really trying to fine tune your tone that much.
Quote by melton100
I wholeheartedly disagree. In my opinion... the wood is the most important aspect to tone. (except fingers) You can put pickups from a Les Paul into a Strat and it will still sound very drifferent from the LP. PIckups are important, but not as important as the wood.

Yes, but you can still get a nice crunch from a body made of alder, a body made of mahogany, ect ect. It will sound different, but It all sounds decent.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I personally would not buy an agathis guitar. But hey its still gonna sound ok. I would be more worried about the pick ups and the amp if you are really trying to fine tune your tone that much.

I agree, wood, while important, is not the most be all end all factor in your tone.

I'd go for it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by burnboy85
Yes, but you can still get a nice crunch from a body made of alder, a body made of mahogany, ect ect. It will sound different, but It all sounds decent.

Didn't say it wouldn't sound good, just that would sound different.
The main problem with that guitar is that the maple they use on a 200 series will be terrible, and that murders the neck-through construction.

Neck-through construction is good - and only ever good - if the maple it's using as it's neck and body core is top-grade. If the wood quality slips, the entire guitar takes a huge nose dive.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The main problem with that guitar is that the maple they use on a 200 series will be terrible, and that murders the neck-through construction.

Neck-through construction is good - and only ever good - if the maple it's using as it's neck and body core is top-grade. If the wood quality slips, the entire guitar takes a huge nose dive.

Yep. Also in any neck-thru guitar most of the tone comes from the neck, not the body.

As far as the neck and body wood not affecting the tone in any way? It may not be apparent to a beginner or someone without a developed ear but.... eventually you'll realize that your buddy's guitar with the same pups sounds much better than yours. Or worse. Better quality wood DOES make a difference.