I am wiring a MIM 3 single coil strat, and I can't get rid of this horrible static I get when I test it. I know what normal 60 cycle hum is and this is definatly a grounding issue, but I followed a wiring diagram exactly and it's still there. I have tested and checked it about 6 times now and I'm quite frustrated, any help would be great.

I have some experience wiring guitars and I'm handy with a soldering iron too.

I was rewiring it after changing pickups.

thanks
Make sure the groud wire is on it correctly and if so you can always cut the ground on your amp cord (that third prong). You risk electrocution doing that but it will get rid of the hum
Is is shielded well? Here's a decent article I found: http://www.artandtechnology.com.au/guitar/shielding-strat.html
Quote by PatheticMedic
Make sure the groud wire is on it correctly and if so you can always cut the ground on your amp cord (that third prong). You risk electrocution doing that but it will get rid of the hum

I would not do this.
Last edited by stratman7 at Aug 22, 2009,
It never did this before the pickups were changed, I took pickups out of a 1995 fender strat and it didnt do this on that one either, I think the schematic I looked at may have been wrong because I've had this problem with other guitar and that was because of wiring too.
Quote by PatheticMedic

Haha my amp was like that when I got it but my dad told me it was bad to have it like that so we put a new plug on.
Quote by mievh
It never did this before the pickups were changed, I took pickups out of a 1995 fender strat and it didnt do this on that one either, I think the schematic I looked at may have been wrong because I've had this problem with other guitar and that was because of wiring too.

Hmm. I dunno then. All the wiring I've done on my Strat was following diagrams on the Fender website. You could check out those diagrams and see if yours matches.
I was about to say **** it and put it away, but I changed the position on the ground wires on top of the pot and what do you know, it works now. I have good pickups too now.