Okay, so I asked this in another thread someone else started that got closed for being a "vs" thread- my question, however, wasn't against the rules even if the thread starter's was, so I'm asking again. Not a "which is best" but just trying to understand the differences between these two pedals.

I'm torn between two Dunlop/MXR wah pedals, the 535Q and the Custom Audio Electronics model. If anyone has experience with both and knows the pros and cons of each I'd be very interested to hear what they are- I'm basically looking for a lot of options and room for customizing. I'm a little confused by the "internal" controls on the CAE- how hard is this to access, and how useful is the adjustment? Is the internal Q adjustment essentially the same as the Q knob on the 535?

From what I've read and heard, the CAE model has two distinct voices with each having a different range. The Q control for each can be adjusted internally. The 535Q on the other hand has 6 different ranges, with a Q control on the outside. Is there a more drastic difference in the tones on the CAE than the 535Q range dial can provide? It seems like for versatility the 535 would be the winner, but if I'm missing something let me know, please.

The CAE 404 claims to be true bypass- if this is true it sets it apart, as wahs are notorious tone suckers. But I'd heard that it wasn't a major issue with the newer 535s. Also, the 535 comes in chrome... definitely gets some badass points there... so that's where I'm leaning, but it's all about the sound at the end of the day, and I don't think you can HEAR the chrome... so I guess I'll have to put that out of my decision making process.

Anyway, if you've used these and can shed a little light on what sets them apart from one another and what I've got right/wrong about them, and maybe why you went with the one you did, chime in. Mainly I'm just curious about the practical pros and cons of each. Hopefully I can A/B them myself soon, but it's an hour drive or so, and I can't really do any playing at the moment due to an injury, so this is the best way I have to learn about these for now. Thanks!
Last edited by Black13AB at Aug 22, 2009,
I've read great things about the CAE.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
^ Same but no one seems to have one in stock. I'm excited, Dunlop could finally have stumbled upon a genuine winner of a pedal. Like the ultimate wah thread says, the 535Q is a jack of all trades, master of none. If you really need that much versatility, save up and get an RMC3.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Are we talking the CAE 404 wah? I have serious GAS for one. From what I've heard, it's incredible
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
hey Black13AB, just sayin, it was my thread, and thanks for posting this thread actually

the CAE's q controls ARE internal knobs, which is a bit of a downer, but from what i've heard from Pro guitar shop vids, the two different inductors make OBVIOUS differences in range (if you want look up the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, the yellow on the CAE is like the "Jimi" and the red is like the "whacked" from what i can tell anyway)

anywho, that's what i know, hope that helps

EDIT: Here is a vid showing a demo of the CAE
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=1752&CategoryID=16

couldn't really find a really good one for the 535q, sorry
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Last edited by Metalmaker at Aug 23, 2009,
Welcome to this one! Sorry yours got the axe.

Yeah, they do make a clear difference. I've liked what I've heard from the demo vids I've seen, especially the one you linked. It is tough to find a good demo of the 535, though in this one it sounds fine to me... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X3xusAlC4A

I guess for me I'm going to have to try them both out and see firsthand which one grabs me more.

Just aggravating as it'll be at least a week before I can really do that, more than likely. Damn tendonitis. Figures it would strike just as I start investing in gear upgrades!

My main goal is to find out if the 6-way range selector is more useful than the fasel switch on the CAE. That'd seem to be the big difference, far as I can tell from reading. Looking forward to checking out both, though.