I got me another new amp!... Well, not really new. I bought my friend's Fender Studio Lead. 50w solid state from '84 or '86. Apparently it's got very nice cleans, and decent distortion, but I bought it for cleans, so I'm happy...kind of. It doesn't work. It only makes sound when I turn the gain, master volume, and channel volume on the lead channel to 10. And even then, it's VERY quiet. But I'm willing to get it fixed because I only payed $100 for it (and a Silvertone strat that I'm going to mod ). Do you guys think it's the speaker wires, one or more pots, the input, or the fuse(s)? Oh, and pics up tomorrow!

-Bryan
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
the same thing happened to my Epiphone 15w practice amp a year ago.

i suggest having a tech fix it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Sorry to hear that
Hopefully with the fix your still ontop

and awaiting the pics
Happy NAD! Those old SS Fenders have great cleans. A friend has a Princeton Chorus and it's ****ing sweet. Can't help you with problem though. I'm not too good at figuring out problems unless I have the amp next to me.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
It's not that I want to fix it myself, it's that the bench charge alone at the tech's around here is $40+, and I don't want them to charge me for a diagnostics, a bench charge, and actually fixing the thing. I'd rather tell them what's wrong. That, or I can take it to my girlfriend's dad, because he works on electronics (his job is playing with robots all day :P ).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Hey Bryan,

I doubt it is a fuse or speaker wires so you can narrow that out. My only guess at this time without knowing more would be possible insert jack issue, scratchy/bad volume, gain or tone pot/s, or a circuit issue. The latter prolly not worth it.

you can't find anyone local to just take a look at your rig?

I take it you don't want to take things apart yourself?
I would take it somewhere, but as I said, bench fees are really high around here. I'm tempted, but I don't own a multimeter, nor do I know how to read schematics. I'm going to ask my girlfriend's dad to look at it though. He replaced a broken pot on my old rack mout fx processor.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
yeah do that before taking into a store.

I bet we can save you 40 or 80 bucks just hashing it out here. Can you try a different guitar? Swap all cables in an out? Slowly move cable jack in and out of Insert Jack for any variance. Tap the knobs pretty hard with the amp turned all the way up.

You don't need a multimeter or schematics. If this doesn't get resoved soon then my guess unfortunately is that it is a built in circuit issue that will be hard to find and fix.
Man, you get screwed. $40 just to diagnose what's wrong? The guys I take my amp to here wouldn't charge you a dime for that. There was one who just passed away recently who would even fix it in front of you and tweak it until it sounded just right. Unfortunately now that he's gone there's only one guy I trust my amp with.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

$40 is kind of the going rate per hour as well as initial diagnositc. So if they look at it for 5 minutes and determine it is insert jack and spend maybe 15 minutes swapping that out you have just spent $80 plus parts.

look on craigslist for amp techs, or advertise the need yourself. I bet you find someone. Also, smaller mompop shops are more willing to help out it seems.
I just realized, if your girlfriend's dad can't fix it, you may want to see if someone in GG&A lives near you and if they'd be willing to give you some help.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I'm sorry about your NAD.....s
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
You got a dead baby

If its the circuit board, you're boned. Lets hope for the best?
WTLTL 2011
Thanks everyone. I have tried with different guitars/cables, but I'll the tapping on the knobs, and the input thing. Thanks for the advice as of yet!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
My first guess would be that since it's so old, it probably needs a new cap job done. Very typical for amps that are more than 20 years old. Find someone that knows what they're doing, and have them take a look at the caps. Blown/bad caps are very easy to spot, since generally there's stuff coming out of them.

GL, and even though it doesn't work, HNAD
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Is there a general area where the caps are located? I don't know much about amps.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Well, normally the capacitors that I look for on a tube amp would be rather large and near the power tubes. Not really sure on a solid state amp. Personally, I wouldn't even think of doing a cap job yourself SS or Tube or not. If you do take the chassis out yourself, make sure you take good pictures, don't touch anything unnessasarily and never put two hands in an amp at the same time. If you use one hand and bit of precaution you won't kill yourself.

I don't think caps in a ss amp can do much damage but I'm not an amp tech.

Also, I don't see your amp on here, but maybe somone knows of something similar that could point you in a direction. C usually = Capacitor while R = Resistor for example.

http://schematicheaven.com/fender.htm

Bump.
I found a schematic already. Someone posted it on some random message board (I forget where it was). If I did open it up, I'd just try to find out what's wrong, not try to fix it.

I'm dying to really hear this amp!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120