Page 1 of 2
I finally managed to get a part time job and decided that I am for sure getting a new amp soon. I need versatility, I play lots of jazz/fusion, lots of blues, lots of classic rock, a bit of funk, a bit of hard rock and I'm getting back into metal. For examples of tones I would like to get close to, I like Scott Henderson's tone back when he was in the Chick Corea Elektric Band (watch the video of King Cockroach on YouTube to get an idea), Robben Ford's clean and dirty tones, Slash's Appetite tone, Mega Dave's rhythm tone on Countdown, Chris Poland's tone with Ohm and Warren DeMartini's lead tone on Loving You is a Dirty Job.

I've been looking at the Mark V for awhile but it's not gonna cut it for the hard rock, blues and classic rock tones I want. There's also a Bogner Fish Preamp at a local store I want to try out this week that could be able to get everything except maybe the Scott Henderson tone and RF tone. A CAE 3+SE may also be something I want to try out from what I've heard. I've also heard alot about the mods for the Randall MTS series and based on clips I've heard of Salvation modded modules, that may be my best bet. Any other suggestions? And I may be willing to go with 2 amps. If this is just too much, I'd like a Chris Poland tone, a Mega Dave rhythm tone, a decent blues tone and a decent jazzy clean.

I'm willing to spend a lot and save up for as long as it takes. I've already got $1500 (including what I would get for my DeVille) give or take a bit and I could probably sell my 808 for around $500 based on prices I've seen lately. I will be making about $750 a month from my job after tax and everything except the $50 or so I spend on gas each month will be available for an amp plus I plan to start gigging again soon. I will also have probably $800-$1000 from birthday and Christmas money. I could also sell a guitar to add if it takes a ridiculous amount of time for me to save up. I will say that I would like to keep the total cost under $5000, including cab but I could stretch a bit since I don't have a real budget and I don't need it any time soon.

tl;dr : I want a new amp (or two) within the next year, it needs to be very versatile, preferably under 5k including cab and it needs to excell at all tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
damn, if you need that much versatility you might as well go with one of those multi modelers that copy circuits. like the egnators(randall makes versions of these amps and modules as well), you pick your power section and then order modules for a blackface or tweed or plexi or 800 or whatever the hell else they got, but they got a bunch of modules.

also, the hughes and ketner triamp comes with a power section of el34's that is switchable to 6l6gc's. it then comes with a whole mess of preamps tubes that control 3 amp styles, each amp style has 2 channels. so you get this monstrosity footpedal with 7 switches on there. 6 for the channels and one to bypass the effects loop. it is very responsive to tube changing though and me and a friend got very satisfying results when we spent 2 days retubing the preamp section and doing a lot of experimentation to maximize the sounds. very nice amp if you need it all.

you're not going to be able to find amps that are much more flexible than those 2 that are 'all tube'.

either way, i also believe that to really obtain the kinda tone that is as versatile as you want, then you'll probably need at least 2 amps and a handful of pedals so you could boost and overdrive your amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Just get a boutique amp for one section of those styles and get another amp thats not to cover the other style(s) that not covered
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
gah... badger and a used 5150 III? seriously? a twin, 6505, and a vicky? maybe a soho and budda? bah, get 4 great used heads and a balling 4x12.
Quote by gumbilicious
damn, if you need that much versatility you might as well go with one of those multi modelers that copy circuits. like the egnators(randall makes versions of these amps and modules as well), you pick your power section and then order modules for a blackface or tweed or plexi or 800 or whatever the hell else they got, but they got a bunch of modules.

also, the hughes and ketner triamp comes with a power section of el34's that is switchable to 6l6gc's. it then comes with a whole mess of preamps tubes that control 3 amp styles, each amp style has 2 channels. so you get this monstrosity footpedal with 7 switches on there. 6 for the channels and one to bypass the effects loop. it is very responsive to tube changing though and me and a friend got very satisfying results when we spent 2 days retubing the preamp section and doing a lot of experimentation to maximize the sounds. very nice amp if you need it all.

you're not going to be able to find amps that are much more flexible than those 2 that are 'all tube'.

either way, i also believe that to really obtain the kinda tone that is as versatile as you want, then you'll probably need at least 2 amps and a handful of pedals so you could boost and overdrive your amp.

Hmm, Triamp looks interesting. But like you said, the MTS or Egnater Mod is probably going to be my best bet. That or it's starting to look like I'll need multiple amps. More time needed to save as well as the extra hassle of moving it around.

EDIT: After looking around and thinking a bit, a Mark V and a used Splawn or JCM800 with Caswell mods with a good cab and an amp switcher seem like a good route if I went with a multi amp setup. Thoughts? And any other amps I should be on the look out for? I'm probably gonna make a few trips to some guitar stores and would like to have a better idea than just try out every boutique or high end amp for an hour and unfortunately I can't try the Splawn or Caswell JCM800 before I buy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 23, 2009,
i believe in the more amps i have, the more it compensates for the size of my tiny member. so i have like a dozen of them. i must say it is pretty sweet to have an amp for every occassion, and mixing them is where it is at. i'd much rather have my music man 212hd 150 and my orange or50h and ppc212 than my roomate's triamp through a nice 4x12. my rig was more balanced, full and versatile. not to mention i was running stereo effects as well.

i was even experimenting with 3 amp setups but other musicians don't seem to appreciate all those amps. right now i really like matching my fender blues deville with my orange or50h. to get a more american style i'll replace the orange with a thd bivalve.

no egnator module gives you those kinds of options. though they are very nice and are probably preferable in particular situations.

edit: you can still kinda play the splawn and caswell moded amps, i mean, they are moded 800's design, it is not a complete mystery. you know they will be higher end design english sounding amp, you just won't know their particular voicings and response, so soundclips from their sight will have to do. i prefer the creamy orange sound myself, i like that kinda british. but just knowing my sounds and designs i know a matamp would probably fulfill me even more than orange. i wouldn't ever be able to play one before owning it, but i can still hold faith that matamp is most likely superior to orange.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by gumbilicious
i believe in the more amps i have, the more it compensates for the size of my tiny member. so i have like a dozen of them. i must say it is pretty sweet to have an amp for every occassion, and mixing them is where it is at. i'd much rather have my music man 212hd 150 and my orange or50h and ppc212 than my roomate's triamp through a nice 4x12. my rig was more balanced, full and versatile. not to mention i was running stereo effects as well.

i was even experimenting with 3 amp setups but other musicians don't seem to appreciate all those amps. right now i really like matching my fender blues deville with my orange or50h. to get a more american style i'll replace the orange with a thd bivalve.

no egnator module gives you those kinds of options. though they are very nice and are probably preferable in particular situations.

Yea, the more I think about it the more I'm starting to lean towards a multi amp setup. I'm just concerned about moving it around since I've already had back problems. But I think 2 heads and 2 2X12s or a stereo 4X12 wouldn't be that bad, atleast for awhile. I could probably even get away with an EVM 806 1X12.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i run stereo 2x12 cabs, that way i can either run 2 heads through 1 2x12 or run run 2 2x12's on either end of the room and give your live tone more depth. running stereo effects this way sounds awesome.

you want a good a flexible sound with top quality components? cheaper than you think really. i'll use 2x12's in this example to cut costs. i actually will start with cabs:

2x12, open back, loaded with weber alnico california high power jenson copies
-cabinet ~300 shipped
-speakers ~450

2x12, closed back, i like the extra dimensions orange has in their 2x12, baltic birch, thick ply, 1 alnico weber blue dog, 1 ferromax weber silver bell, both with prerola doping
-cab ~300
-speakers ~320

you then need one 30+ watt american style head(fender), i use a music man 130hd, a thd bivalve, or a sunn 1200S
-music 65hd or 130hd ~400 usd

the music man amps are very nice, hybrid, quite durable, very clean, and are based on fender designed(leo that is). i love these amps for the price they are and the quality is hard to find now-a-days. i have 3. if you don't get a music man then expect to spend around 1000 usd for a good american sound that is as good as a music man is. much rather have a 70's music man for 500 than a reissue 65 twin for 1300:P you can also get a silver face fender head for cheap too, like 300 usd.

you'll also need a good english head, like a moded 800, splawn, matamp, orange, whatever your flavor
-english amp ~1000 usd

the english amp i wanted cost me 2000. the next thing that i believe is necessary for unlocking all the tone from these amps is a couple of pedal, like a completely over priced boost pedal, and a similarly priced od pedal.
-od pedal ~250 usd
-boost pedal ~150 usd

a distortion pedal, wah pedal, are also in the fore front of pedals that are necessary for this setup. warning: i recommend true bypass pedal throughout the chain in respect to the 2000+ dollars in amps they're running into.

this kinda setup actually sounds very balanced, with the enlish head running into the closed back cab and the american head running into the jenson cab, it covers all the bases. what it won't do though is faciilitate certain extreme music tones, like super death heavy metal. this setup gets far more distortion than i need for rock, improv, fusion, blues stuff that i do.

i also run a bunch of effects through amps and will include a 3rd amp so i can run stereo effects through the 2 'outside' amps and run a 'dry' signal to the 'middle' amp, also very thick tone. i also keep a number of combo amps and extra heads available to extra versatility.

-ae
Stereo FX sounds nice and it would give me an excuse to go pick up another TC SC/F. And instead of waiting months I could pick up one piece at a time. This route is starting to look much more attractive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Hmm, Triamp looks interesting. But like you said, the MTS or Egnater Mod is probably going to be my best bet. That or it's starting to look like I'll need multiple amps. More time needed to save as well as the extra hassle of moving it around.

EDIT: After looking around and thinking a bit, a Mark V and a used Splawn or JCM800 with Caswell mods with a good cab and an amp switcher seem like a good route if I went with a multi amp setup. Thoughts? And any other amps I should be on the look out for? I'm probably gonna make a few trips to some guitar stores and would like to have a better idea than just try out every boutique or high end amp for an hour and unfortunately I can't try the Splawn or Caswell JCM800 before I buy.

Depends on which type of splawn. And IMO i'd take a mark IV over a V for those tones. The mark IV was more user friendly and the ability to use 6v6,el34's,kt77's and 6l6's is what beats the V
^ I was looking at either a Quick Rod or Pro Stock. I was also looking at a Quad pre and some sort of power amp instead of the Mark V. I figured since both Scott Henderson and Allan Holdsworth used em around that time it would help me get those tones and it's got the Mark III section for the more modern metal tones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Try out the splawns before you buy. they arent like any mesa i played. The ones i played(nitro and quick rod) all had this werid mid range bump that wasnt to my taste.

And why not go directly for a mark III instead if you want that for the modern metal?
Quote by mexican_shred
Try out the splawns before you buy. they arent like any mesa i played. The ones i played(nitro and quick rod) all had this werid mid range bump that wasnt to my taste.

And why not go directly for a mark III instead if you want that for the modern metal?

I was also planning to get my Scott Henderson in the Elektric band type tones out of the Boogie, hence why I want something a bit less compressed than the Mark III for that. But since it's got both the IIC+ style preamp and the III style preamp, I figured it could kill both of those needs. The Splawns were meant more for the Rock/Blues tones I had in mind and the Boogie was what I had planned for Metal/Fusion/Jazz.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ah i see. Then the Quad is a better route than a III or V.

So for rock and blues, a plexi ish kinda sound?
Quote by mexican_shred
Ah i see. Then the Quad is a better route than a III or V.

So for rock and blues, a plexi ish kinda sound?

That sort of vibe, although a slight bit more gain than a stock Plexi, not a whole lot more. But if the extra gain compromises the touch sensitivity and response to my playing, I'd rather just have the amount of gain of a stock Plexi.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ah i see. Then with that budget try playing around with some "clones" or real plexis to see which kinda of style you like more.

What about the Lonestar.If its clean and blues and fusion i found the lonestar to do a nice job with it. Albeit still with that budget there's better choices
Quote by mexican_shred
Ah i see. Then with that budget try playing around with some "clones" or real plexis to see which kinda of style you like more.

What about the Lonestar.If its clean and blues and fusion i found the lonestar to do a nice job with it. Albeit still with that budget there's better choices

I loved the Lonestar when I played it, I was just trying to knock out Metal without having to get another amp. I'm not sure if I'd be able to hold out for 3 amps. Although I could go the AT route and use a Stilleto and Lonestar. I'd just need a boost to get the Stilleto into modern metal territory. There's just so many choices. I can't say I don't like being in this position though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Splawns are yum dude. I like the Mark III idea too as the 2nd amp. Or a IV, but I'm not an expert on Marks like Shred and others are. He had a bad day with a Splawn is my opinion.

mmolteratx - Huge fan of Megadeth and Ratt so you got my attention. Read up on the Splawn boards if I don't find it as the lead guitarist for either Ratt or Ratt cover band is using Splawn. I don't think it is DeMartini tho.

*messin with ya Shred*

Everytime I play a Lonestar I fall in love with it again
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawns are yum dude. I like the Mark III idea too as the 2nd amp. Or a IV, but I'm not an expert on Marks like Shred and others are. He had a bad day with a Splawn is my opinion.

mmolteratx - Huge fan of Megadeth and Ratt so you got my attention. Read up on the Splawn boards if I don't find it as the lead guitarist for either Ratt or Ratt cover band is using Splawn. I don't think it is DeMartini tho.

*messin with ya Shred*

psh you i still want a superstock or one channel nitro/quickrod one of these days. Just you know without the sacrifice of my mark.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

*messin with ya Shred*

Yea, I think one of the guys in Ratt is playing a Splawn, I don't think it's DeMartini though either. I don't know if Loving You is a Dirty Job was recorded with one of his Plexis or his Soldano but that lead tone gets me every time. The Marshall 3100 is an option I've been looking into as well since I've heard Marshall incorporated some stuff they learned from his Plexi in it. I wasn't even aware Splawn had a forum. I'll have to look that up. The Lonestar has my favorite clean tone ever, I'll just probably try to get away with 2 amps instead of 3 though. I might have to consider a Road King as well but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find one and still stay under what I would like to spend.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I believe that guy from Ratt posts on the Splawn boards as well. I could be wrong about that. I believe it was a Quick Rod that he had. George Lynch is now using a Quick Rod and I love his tone. Godsmack has been using Splawns for a while but I don't which ones. KSE is using Nitros.

Yes, Loving You is a Dirty Job - is fantasitc tone imo.
Wouldn't hurt to look into a Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Quote by trevh
Wouldn't hurt to look into a Fractal Audio Axe FX Ultra.

Is it really that good or is it a sort of bandwagon thing? I'm looking to get as much of the stuff used as I possibly can because if I wind up not liking it I won't lose much if any money and I haven't been able to find one used.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Is it really that good or is it a sort of bandwagon thing? I'm looking to get as much of the stuff used as I possibly can because if I wind up not liking it I won't lose much if any money and I haven't been able to find one used.

its actually pretty good, its better than the vetta IMO.
and try it with a good power amp, VHT maybe?

and there is always custom amps.....and i think you know about Baron amps? (the brand i always talk about), his K88 amp was designed by his customer and he build it so i think he could prolly build you the amp that you want

also, +1 to the MTS series, tons of versatility and the modules almost sounds like the real deal
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
its actually pretty good, its better than the vetta IMO.
and try it with a good power amp, VHT maybe?

and there is always custom amps.....and i think you know about Baron amps? (the brand i always talk about), his K88 amp was designed by his customer and he build it so i think he could prolly build you the amp that you want

also, +1 to the MTS series, tons of versatility and the modules almost sounds like the real deal

I haven't really thought about custom amps just because I'd lose so much money if I didn't like it. I have seen you talk about Baron and I've checked em out once. At this point, a multi amp set up or MTS system is looking to be my best option. I'd love to try the Axe FX but I don't think it'll happen. I've found some clips to sound really nice and some to just be meh. The Pete Thorn demo on the Fractal website sounds awesome though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I haven't really thought about custom amps just because I'd lose so much money if I didn't like it. I have seen you talk about Baron and I've checked em out once. At this point, a multi amp set up or MTS system is looking to be my best option. I'd love to try the Axe FX but I don't think it'll happen. I've found some clips to sound really nice and some to just be meh. The Pete Thorn demo on the Fractal website sounds awesome though.

oki.

most baron amps even custom designed ones (K88) costs 1200-1650 max
feel free to add me
Hey, no one here would know how much Titan's cost would they? I might be interested in one for my metal and clean amp is the pricing is good and if the clean is nice enough.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Hey, no one here would know how much Titan's cost would they? I might be interested in one for my metal and clean amp is the pricing is good and if the clean is nice enough.

they cost 1400-1700
feel free to add me
As far as versatility goes, I really like my switchblade. They are really versatile and have a MIDI footswitch just makes changing between sounds really easy.

You might consider a switchblade to cover most of your sounds then perhaps another amp to fill in the gaps where it doesn't meet your standards?
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
JSX is versatile and bien.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
JSX is versatile and bien.

Eh, I didn't really like the JSX much any of the times I've tried it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Well, I bought a new car today and it's gonna take alot longer than I thought. I'll only have about $150 extra a month now. I think I'm gonna get one amp around January and the other one after that once I manage to get the money.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Well, I bought a new car today and it's gonna take alot longer than I thought. I'll only have about $150 extra a month now. I think I'm gonna get one amp around January and the other one after that once I manage to get the money.

wat did ya get??

a Mustang Prius?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
wat did ya get??

a Mustang Prius?

Yea, I wound up getting a 2010 Mustang V6 Premium. It's nice as **** but my payment is high as **** too. It drives much, much nicer than the older V6s. The GT was awesome but I couldn't afford the extra money every month.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, I wound up getting a 2010 Mustang V6 Premium. It's nice as **** but my payment is high as **** too. It drives much, much nicer than the older V6s. The GT was awesome but I couldn't afford the extra money every month.

pics?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
pics?

Hold on and I may be able to get some. I'll post back in a few minutes. The only thing is it's dark outside here.

EDIT: Yea, it's too dark. Only parts of the car come out in each photo. I've got one pic on my phone if you want that. I'll try to post some real pics tomorrow. It's Candy Apple Red w/ black leather interior and it's got a **** ton of features.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 29, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
shouldda gotta camaro...

I know.... The center console bugged the **** out of me though and it cost more. The Mustang's interior was much nicer IMO.

EDIT: BTW, Alf, I managed to get pics. They will be up shortly.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Sorry for the double post. I don't know if Alf is still on but here they are.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Page 1 of 2