I desperately want a P-90 in the bridge position on my Strat. I want it to be very gritty, but be able to clean up for like, Skynyrd kind of tones... Sort of.

Basically, i need it to be able to grit up to like, Social Distortion, but be able to clean up pretty well.

Budget is $200 USD.

GO!
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Last edited by p o e at Aug 23, 2009,
You'd need to change out your pickguard if you want a P90 and not a humbucker sized P90.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
You got an HSS Strat? If not then you have some routing ahead of you.
If it's an HSS strat you could try the Gibson P-94, it's a HB-sized P-90. Dunno about the price, though.
Check out the Duncan P-Rails. It's three pickups in one, totally bitchin. It's gotta be under $200 as well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Check out the Duncan P-Rails. It's three pickups in one, totally bitchin. It's gotta be under $200 as well.

I've seen these in a guitar... I didn't like it too much.

As for routing, i've looked under the pickguard and its routed for HSS, so i won't have a problem. And i want a p-90 sized p-90, not a humbucker sized p-90.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Well, in that case you will need to get a new pickguard or mod your current one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Its gonna be a way easier mod to use a humbucker sized p90. That would be a drop in on a HSS strat. A true p90 would require routing and uses direct mounting to the body vs suspended from the pickguard like singles or hums, a dogear style probably wouldnt fit at all. A true p90 would put the edge of the pickup even closer to the volume knob and really close to the edge of the pickguard. And you would have to cut your pickguard as finding a ready made soapbarSS set up will be really hard.

As for the question of a single coil sized p90, no. A p90 is a single coil but gets its tone from its size. If you shrunk it down to fit in a single coil space then it would be an ordinary single coil.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its gonna be a way easier mod to use a humbucker sized p90. That would be a drop in on a HSS strat. A true p90 would require routing and uses direct mounting to the body vs suspended from the pickguard like singles or hums, a dogear style probably wouldnt fit at all. A true p90 would put the edge of the pickup even closer to the volume knob and really close to the edge of the pickguard. And you would have to cut your pickguard as finding a ready made soapbarSS set up will be really hard.

As for the question of a single coil sized p90, no. A p90 is a single coil but gets its tone from its size. If you shrunk it down to fit in a single coil space then it would be an ordinary single coil.

Exactly. A lot of people think that a P90 and humbucker are close in size. They aren't really. A humbucker is much wider, but not as high. So even if you have HSS routing, you'll need to route the body.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Just get a bright, gritty sounding humbucker. There are a lot of good low output humbuckers that get a very single coil like character. You could always try the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage or Fralin Unbucker.