Now, recently (around 7 months) I have been playing the electric guitar and now days my teacher has been skipping lessons on me. None-the-less I am going to attempt to find a different teacher; however ever since I've played guitar I've always wanted to try playing the bass. Something, just clicked with the sound; and everything about it. However I'm only 16 right now and need to concentrate on studies when school starts; and I only have an hour or two to play guitar in total if at all so I cannot get a job. Before my teacher stopped contacting me he recommended I buy a new amp and guitar so my parents went with it and bought me something for once in a long time and got me a PRS SE Custom and a Line 6 Spider amp which I am extremely happy with (I guess my parents like me playing music). However, now that that's there and every time I attempt to think of a way to somehow obtain a bass and play it; it reminds me how much they spent on a guitar for me and just makes it harder for me to obtain a bass to play on my own. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to get this out of the way before I find another guitar teacher, once again abiding the fact I want to play the bass.

Also, is it true that learning guitar helps you get better at bass overall and is an easy transition? (nonetheless I want a bass; they sound wonderful and I think I would make a good bass player; considering I normally like to take the less-liked or less-played type of instruments or things in games and sports, etc. and always ended up loving it)
If bass is what you want, go for bass and don't let anyone tell you different. Bass has a different tuning, but you can still read the tabs the same. And yes, guitar to bass is not that much of a transition in my opinion. but others may tell you differently.
Yeah, go for bass. If you know the bass-ics on guitar, you can transition comfortably.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by koikomoru
If bass is what you want, go for bass and don't let anyone tell you different. Bass has a different tuning, but you can still read the tabs the same. And yes, guitar to bass is not that much of a transition in my opinion. but others may tell you differently.

What? Bass standard tuning is EADG which is the same as the low 4 strings on a guitar, just an octave down.

To TS: You should get a cheap bass and see if you like playing it. I got one from my friend and now I play both guitar and bass equally.
How is your Line 6 Spider amp treating you?

I heard you can get some killer tone... :facepalm.jpg:
This is for the moon, Ty Cobb!
Oh Noez Its Teh End Timez!
^fail right there son.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Honestly, itll be easy to pick up. Try it, i think its an awesome way to branch out in music.
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
It's hard for me to read that wall of text and I have this left over from the speak like a neo-con thread sooooo,

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks for the responses guys. Are Line 6's really THAT horrible? >_>;; Crap, I guess my teacher lied to me, then.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
That's true, but he got himself a nice guitar, he should get a nice amp to do justice to it. NOT a Spider III.

I own a Gibson SG Standard with a Line 6 Spider III
love is love // return to dust
Quote by tancanada

oh, man , that's NOT fair with the poor guitar. even though i have an awesome guitar but just good amp

Edit: i saw in your profile, why the hell do you have an Epiphone SG if you already have a Gibson one? Sell it and save for a nicer amp.
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Aug 23, 2009,
Quote by tancanada

Get this man a better amp. Now. Please. Somebody. Do Something.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by Vitor_vdp
oh, man , that's NOT fair with the poor guitar. even though i have an awesome guitar but just good amp

Edit: i saw in your profile, why the hell do you have an Epiphone SG if you already have a Gibson one? Sell it and save for a nicer amp.

The Epiphone was a present on my 12th birthday, I bought the Gibson a year ago in L.A. myself.
love is love // return to dust
I got a bass for $50 because I wanted to switch over. It's not that huge of a switch except slap is kinda hard to get at first. You should've looked for a Spider II. They're so much better than the III's. I love mine believe it or not.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Quote by pdxhwa
What bass should I get for my first?

Squier P-Bass, or Jazz Bass. Awesome instruments for the price, and classic shape/tone.

Don't the Squier Strats fool you, these are nice basses.
has a terrible signature.